Turn on thread page Beta

Do you generally prefer things to be centralised or decentralised in life? watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I would rather like to sit back and watch everyone and everything from the backbench unfortunately I cant, people talk to you.

ReputationRep:
    Centralisation is better. I have spent years trying to spread myself thinly to make up for/experience perceived things I missed out on when younger. I have friends in many different quarters, but act completely differently with each, playing up to what I think they want to hear.

I run into problems. It's hard for me to guess what people want to hear, paralysing me. And secondly I have no sense of self, which is quite destructive. Furthermore I find it impossible to be interested in anything, worrying it might alienate me.

Furthermore, my interpersonal relationships are very much compartmentalised and not as intense as most people's. This breeds misanthropy.

ReputationRep:
    My life revolves around my health, everything/everyone else is just part of the scenery, sad I know.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    My life revolves around my health, everything/everyone else is just part of the scenery, sad I know.. :rolleyes:
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a jack of all trades, enjoying and being good at a lot of things, so probably the latter. I'm an introvert though and prefer having a few good friends than lots of not so good ones. Tricky question.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think you've got the right terms there. But I tend to be obsessive over one thing at a time. Then I burn out and move onto another interest. It's far better to have a well balanced, multi-faceted eudemonic lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the dogs *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    What about obsessing over one thing and branching it out into a well balanced lifestyle? All I'm saying is have one thing in the centre of life you devote yourself to and spread out from there.
    Well that sounds like it would fit your 'decentralised' mode. Because even if you have lots of important things in your life, they won't all have exactly same importance to you, and it will change throughout your life. So maybe your career will make way for your family to have more central focus as you get older (or vice versa). So yes I agree with you. It's like the pokemon gameboy game, you can only carry 6 and your favourite changes over time as they evolve or are needed for their strengths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    This too.

I'd prefer it to be decentralized though

ReputationRep:
    I tend to do one thing at a time and focus on being awesome at it. I can go back to the other skills I already developed though, at a later date. I'm heading towards decentralisation, just very slowly. One thing at a time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think its somewhere in the middle for me, that is to say, "interconnected decentralisation". Where I focus and diverge my attention on many different experiences, however these experiences all have some common ground in which I can relate back to my core values (might just be a sub conscious defense mechanism though...).

Of course, some things do take precedent over others, like friends over family, long term physical health over short term entertaining but destructive experiences (this can go vice versa at times too often), work first before play etc etc. So at times I do find myself centralising, but its conscious and I usually try to balance it back out by doing something in contrast to avoid my perceptions and experiences verging towards one narrow point.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I like to have my finger in lots of different pies but ultimately my life is all about centralisation. I like to focus on a small number of things which branch out to other things and mostly interconnect with one another. My attention span is too low for anything else and it suits my personality better

ReputationRep:
    I think life would be incredibly boring if you only focused on one thing, regardless of who or what that thing was.

ReputationRep:
    Sit back an watch, lord of flies style.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.