Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Facebook is starting to slowly die out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At first I found Facebook to be a good way of keeping in touch with people, but then I got a smartphone, and for some reason, texting became popular again. I find more and more younger kids are joining it, and older people just for the lulz. I find theres too much spam like:

- being tagged in an image of some cheesy slogan like ''if you're tagged I <3 you'' and then endless notifications of people having stupid conversations.
    - tons of nightclub messages in my inbox/wall/promoters trying to start conversations
    - companies again advertising their products
    - fake advertisements for free ipods and rubbish.
    - people changing their middle name to irrelevant stuff
    - people 'liking'everything and anything
    - polls with stupid options

Facebook isn't what it used to be. I think people are starting to get bored of it.. but there are no up and coming social websites to replace it. Hmm..

As dire as it is, Facebook is an unstoppable digital leviathan of truly terrifying proportions. Too many people use it. It is too big. It is entrenched in the fabric of our very society these days.

It will rule the roost until somebody develops something better, I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    As dire as it is, Facebook is an unstoppable digital leviathan of truly terrifying proportions. Too many people use it. It is too big. It is entrenched in the fabric of our very society these days.

It will rule the roost until somebody develops something better, I reckon.
    There can't be anything better though?

ReputationRep:
    As the person said above. It will not die, never. It is extensively intertwined with everyday life for many many people.

ReputationRep:
    for a second I thought you were going to advertise POCODOT or something against facebook. phewww

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully.

Nothing has done more to make the minds of Britain's youth inane and limp quite like Facebook. I'm beginning to consider it a synonym for stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    There's still a lot of work to be done on it, but it's still heading in the right direction.

Something drastic would have to happen for it to be usurped now, it's fast approaching the realms of being "too big to fail," IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see Facebook declining or dying out any time soon, fact is there is nothing out there on the web that comes even close to replacing it. If anything it is further cementing its place in society these days since every piece of new technology seemingly comes with a pre-installed facebook app now.

ReputationRep:
    It's just so stupid like with the amount of stupid groups and that they just have to kill it.

ReputationRep:
    I really dislike the use of the word never in this context, of course it will, i will bet 100 pounds that facebook will have less than 1/3 the members in ten years - becuase look at it, its slow, often breaks down, is prone to spam, and is really labour intensive to use, now that the industry has finally worked out how much money there is to be made of course someone else will design something better and easier to use, just look at Friendster and Bebo and msn

ReputationRep:
    I think Facebook, rather than dying off, is growing at an alarming rate. In 2008, I believe that less than 20% of the American population (aged 12 & up) had a profile...now, the figures are astonishing. In the United States alone, over 50% of the population aged 12 & up have Facebook profiles. Considering that the United States is a country with only 60% voter turnout in the last presidential election (even with President Obama's charisma & appeal), this number is starting to scare me! Facebook is taking over the world! If it were a country, it would be the third biggest country in the world, only behind India & China!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    At first I found Facebook to be a good way of keeping in touch with people, but then I got a smartphone, and for some reason, texting became popular again. I find more and more younger kids are joining it, and older people just for the lulz. I find theres too much spam like:

- being tagged in an image of some cheesy slogan like ''if you're tagged I <3 you'' and then endless notifications of people having stupid conversations.
    - tons of nightclub messages in my inbox/wall/promoters trying to start conversations
    - companies again advertising their products
    - fake advertisements for free ipods and rubbish.
    - people changing their middle name to irrelevant stuff
    - people 'liking'everything and anything
    - polls with stupid options

Facebook isn't what it used to be. I think people are starting to get bored of it.. but there are no up and coming social websites to replace it. Hmm..
    Agreed on everything, however I think we're tied to Facebook in a really unique way, it is genuinely designed around how we think and the values (or lack of) which exemplify today's society. In other words, Facebook targets us and we can't really resist the allure of the (fake) popularity it seems to bestow upon us. Noone looks like a loner on Facebook! Twitter, on the other hand is a great site but the fact that followers/following is mutually exclusive makes it much easier to have less 'companionship' on there. I've worked hard for my 400 followers BUT on Facebook 400 friends would seem meagre to me if that makes any sense. So yeah, in conclusion, we feed off Facebook's milk because it
    - glorifies our image
    - rose-tints everything
    - acts as an emotional crutch
    - fits perfectly in with everything, and holds so many connections from school, uni, parties, clubs, family, activities, childhood, friends of friends, actual friends, gap yahs etc etc all in one 'vault'. It is like an extension of my brain...
    end rant.

ReputationRep:
    It will die out sometime. For those of you who remember, Friendster and Myspace became less popular when Facebook arrived, the same will happen to Facebook when someone invents something even better.
    I do agree though with everything you have said, it's not what it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Since getting a blackberry a few months ago facebook has gradually died to me. Atm the only time I'm on it is if I get a notification really.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Hopefully.

Nothing has done more to make the minds of Britain's youth inane and limp quite like Facebook. I'm beginning to consider it a synonym for stupidity.
    But we already have the Labour party for that...

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is the platform for which you access the internet on.

It has the largest network of people on the internet and has basically become the defacto cross-site sign in tool.

Facebook isnt dying out it's just assimilating into an every day necessity.

ReputationRep:
    It won't die out until a similar service comes along that does it better. It hasn't happened yet, but it will.

ReputationRep:
    It won't die out but people are starting to get bored and want something shiny and new. Question is though, what will the next thing be? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I hope so. Terrible, terrible site.

ReputationRep:
    But I do feel that people are starting to use it less. More and more people might start to get profiles, but the time people spend on facebook is decreasing. I notice that newsfeed activity is slowing down significantly. I don't really use it as much as I used to anymore, and a lot of my friends seem to do the same.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.