Turn on thread page Beta

BOYCOTT THE UK CENSUS - Please Read : watch

ReputationRep:
    So I came across this artice the other day which was pretty interesting - our 2011 Census is being carried out by US Firm Lockheed-Martin.

Why was a contract awarded to an American firm guilty of such crimes against humanity as complicity in torture (Guantanmo) and mass murder ? More importantly it is also facing charges of data theft and corruption/embezzlement.

Check out their other misconduct here - with cases of corruption, fraud, bribery, environmental damage and discrimination http://www.contractormisconduct.org/...D=38&ranking=1 (57 Violations ftw) :awesome:

Now, why is this important ? Here's why:

(Original post by The Guardian)
    "All US-based companies are subject to the Patriot Act [2001], which allows the US government to have access to any data in the company's possession. Campaigners have warned this could give the US government access to detailed and personal data on the UK's entire population."

Don't boycott - dissenting on the form will be a much better option as it will reallocate the money from an Arms dealer to UK workers - You can do one of the following :

1. Write everything upside down.
    2.It is always fun to fill in some of the white spaces in the bar codes on most of the pages.
    3.Write that you are confused and need an explanation for certain questions.
    4.Write in a foreign language.
    5.Cross all boxes.Everyone makes mistakes.
    6.Write in joined hand-writing- it's just in your nature.
    7.Don't just tick England - you are in "The Realm of her Gracious Majesty Queen Elizabeth II"

Remember it's all just natural human error.

ReputationRep:
    huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    huh?
    "People are being urged to boycott next month's UK's census because the US arms manufacturer responsible for Trident is involved in gathering the information."

ReputationRep:
    Boycott the census?
    Maybe we could all just troll instead and say we're 900 and live on Dagobah with our religion as Jedi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McLovinn)
    "People are being urged to boycott next month's UK's census because the US arms manufacturer responsible for Trident is involved in gathering the information."
    Thankyou.

In responce to OP, erm no, I like company that made Trident, their technoglogy keeps Britain safe.

ReputationRep:
    Too bad I already did it :doh: Don't you get fined if you don't do it?

ReputationRep:
    Boycott the internet - it was created by the US military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fo-Shizzle)
    So I came across this artice the other day which was pretty interesting - our 2011 Census is being carried out by US Firm Lockheed-Martin.

Why was a contract awarded to an American firm guilty of such crimes against humanity as complicity in torture (Guantanmo) and mass murder ? More importantly it is also facing charges of data theft and corruption/embezzlement.

Check out their other misconduct here - with cases of corruption, fraud, bribery, environmental damage and discrimination http://www.contractormisconduct.org/...D=38&ranking=1 (57 Violations ftw) :awesome:

I know the Census is a very important part of Government but why is our personal data being risked in this way ?

It should remain in the hands of a UK Govt. agency rather than the private sector/war criminals.

Enjoy paying the fine when you fail to return the census.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Enjoy paying the fine when you fail to return the census.
    Each year thousands upon thousands of people don't and very few actually get fined.

ReputationRep:
    There's corruption everywhere, this is not a major scandal compared to others, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Each year thousands upon thousands of people don't and very few actually get fined.
    You mean each decade don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Do you neggers realise I was kidding above?

just wondering what sort of stupid we're dealing with tonight :top:

ReputationRep:
    Dude it's a £1000 fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    You mean each decade don't you?
    Obivously

Over 30,000 people were fined for not completing the last census.
    Proof?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I know the Census is a very important part of Government but why is our personal data being risked in this way ?

It should remain in the hands of a UK Govt. agency rather than the private sector/war criminals.

You realize any data on the census can easily be obtained in other ways?

If someone reallllyyyy wanted to they could get your addresses from your internet activity.

ReputationRep:
    lolol, I saw this BS doing the rounds on FB, then yesterday some small-minded hippy I know said how he heard about it "like a couple of days ago" and went on this longggg rant about everything, loads of incoherent nonsense, basically against everything. He insisted that £150m was far too much money and that he could do it for free with all the spare computers in the NHS. Tax payers should all have a precise say in where their money goes, down to individual items of military hardware. Lockheed Martin can't be trusted with our information, yet also the information is completely pointless and the government "should already know it", etc etc.

What a ****ing prick, I hope all these census saboteurs get fined. I'll do mine online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    You realize any data on the census can easily be obtained in other ways?

If someone reallllyyyy wanted to they could get your addresses from your internet activity.
    Some information is available yes but most of it is very hard to track down on the internet (beyond age, name, address)

Yeah, I know that's a possibility but there's also a difference between someone actively tracking us down and the Govt. handing over our information on a silver platter.

ReputationRep:
    Over 30,000 people were fined for not completing the last census.
    I thought only 38 were fined last time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12661100

ReputationRep:

Looks like it might be the last one:

"The Census is carried out once every 10 years. This year's survey is the biggest yet, but it could also be the last one.

Critics say it is intrusive, old-fashioned and expensive. A report is being prepared which could recommend scrapping the exercise..."

Quoted from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12661100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    only the census is carried out every 10 years...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.