Turn on thread page Beta

BOYCOTT THE UK CENSUS - Please Read : watch

ReputationRep:
    I do love how none of the TSR Tory brigade are jumping on this as being an 'infringement on civil liberties'... If Labour were still in power, you could bet your life that it would be touted as a facet of 'Labour's Stasi government'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    I do love how none of the TSR Tory brigade are jumping on this as being an 'infringement on civil liberties'... If Labour were still in power, you could bet your life that it would be touted as a facet of 'Labour's Stasi government'...
    lol @ "if _ _ _ _ then _ _ _ _ " hypothetical complaints against your perceived enemies. It's best to just stick to reality, imo.

The only people I've heard complaining about the census are grass-eating green-voting dreadlocked **** bags, tbqh. Returning the census strikes me as something not at all objectionable to the more conservative folk in society.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who is in favour of a census? Makes interesting and valuable reading for historians and its useful for governmental planning.

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing on the census that I care if you us government knows about me...

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the census forms?
    What job you work, what your age is, what religion you are...

Do you realise that you probably supply more information publicly via your facebook page?
    Boycott it if you wish, but facebook is also subject to the patriot act, and there's far more information available to the US government that way and you're risking a £1000 fine and a criminal record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shroob)
    Am I the only one who is in favour of a census? Makes interesting and valuable reading for historians and its useful for governmental planning.
    I'm in the favour of a census - what I'm not in favour of is giving more of our information over to the USA and giving even more money to a corrupt organisation.

ReputationRep:
    Detailed information my arse. All you can tell about me from my cencus is that I'm a Jedi university student in good health.

Besides, it's the US, not Russia or Libya. The government would probably hand over a lot of the data if needed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    Looks like it might be the last one:

"The Census is carried out once every 10 years. This year's survey is the biggest yet, but it could also be the last one.

Critics say it is intrusive, old-fashioned and expensive. A report is being prepared which could recommend scrapping the exercise..."

Quoted from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12661100
    That is epic short termism. Of course the census should carry on, its both a useful governmental data source, and a vital historical doccument. And it only happens every ten years - Id say its one of the great things about modern life, the fact that you can freely supply basic information that descendants of yours can get hold of easily to learn what your life was like.

Whatever. It's a legal thing; we can't just wriggle out of it. If we want to make out unease known to the government, we should stage a protest. Boycotting the census itself will only result in (more) tax problems and even more incorrect implementations and uses of the country's resources: as in cutting our collective nose off to spite our collective face. In other words, grow up.

(Original post by Joinedup)
    Boycott the internet - it was created by the US military.
    As a decentralized/modular communications network. And it was mainly done by universities, for the US military.

ReputationRep:
    only the census is carried out every 10 years...
    Yes we have already established that I made a typo, but thanks again for bringing it up :cool:

Well I don't see the problem with some of the questions. Some are saying they shouldn't ask about your religion or marital status/sexuality... I don't see why not. I think it's useful to have those kinds of information for demographic statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)

It's you!

ReputationRep:
    The census will almost certainly be carried out by a UK subsidiary which won't be subject to the Patriot Act...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)

Well I don't see the problem with some of the questions. Some are saying they shouldn't ask about your religion or marital status/sexuality... I don't see why not. I think it's useful to have those kinds of information for demographic statistics.
    Well aside from my attempt at point scoring with my post...

How do you feel about Lockheed-Martin being behind it?

It does actually seem a little sinister to me... I mean if the government were going to get any defence contractor to do it, surely they'd use Quinetiq or BAE... these being British of course...

Not that I'm advocating mixing the military, private companies and census data...

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel about Lockheed-Martin being behind it?

It does actually seem a little sinister to me... I mean if the government were going to get any defence contractor to do it, surely they'd use Quinetiq or BAE... these being British of course...
    I presume that Lockheed Martin came up with the best value bid for this contract, and so were awarded it.

The fact that it "seems sinister" is really as far as this goes, but it sure sets a lot of people off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moody_bum)
    I thought only 38 were fined last time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12661100
    Oops, I mixed up 2 news stories, one on the US census and one on the UK census. I was quoting from the US census

ReputationRep:
    OMG the US governement might find out whether I self define as English or British and how many bedrooms I have in my house!!

Somehow- I don't think anyone cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    The census will almost certainly be carried out by a UK subsidiary which won't be subject to the Patriot Act...
    Even if it is carried out by the UK arm of Lockheed-Martin - the parent company will still be in overall control so :

"Information under the custody or control of a U.S. party - If British information is accessible to an entity within the U.S., even if it is held in Britain, U.S. law obligates U.S. actors to disclose this information. This access will be governed by U.S. law, which is generally permissive." - As long as it available to a US party.

ReputationRep:
    write all you answers upside down, it will make it harder for them to process the information, also cross out any barcodes

ReputationRep:
    Don't give a toss what they do with my data.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fo-Shizzle)
    Even if it is carried out by the UK arm of Lockheed-Martin - the parent company will still be in overall control so :

"Information under the custody or control of a U.S. party - If British information is accessible to an entity within the U.S., even if it is held in Britain, U.S. law obligates U.S. actors to disclose this information. This access will be governed by U.S. law, which is generally permissive." - As long as it available to a US party.

I'm not convinced. The data will be within the custody and control of the UK subsidiary, not the US parent. The data would not be in the control of the US parent if it would be illegal for UK subsidiary to pass data up to the US subsidiary under UK law, as the US company would have no way to ensure that the UK subsidiary passes on the information where it can't enforce its shareholder rights in UK courts. I am making some assumptions here, but there are ways of structuring this that probably don't come under the Patriot Act.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.