Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Then why didn't you correct it? I'm not trawling through five pages of replies to see others rightly correcting you. Quite happy doing it myself, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Boycotting the census is far easier than not paying taxes (you seem to be under the impression that people who believe in something are willing to do everything and anything to achieve it?) - and boycotting elections makes no sense. If you don't approve of the Government surely you should be actively involved in the elections?

I really couldn't care less if they didn't "force" anyone to do it - they actively facilitated it. You clearly don't care about this sort of thing, but I personally do have an issue with using companies that profit from death and suffering.

True - I'm sure it would be annoying. I'm not personally boycotting it though, just doing the bare minimum to prevent me getting fined.
    believing in something strongly enough to slightly hamper a census just seems like a piss poor sort of belief - but I guess it's better than becoming a suicide bomber

ReputationRep:
    Only seen page 1, I never got the census and live in Scotland.

I Hate the idea of being forced to fill it in, no matter how "easy" it is to fill in.

I am a disbaled person anyway so have apathy and lethargy problems but knowing the government they will pressure me regardless.

Anyway so if I dont fill it in, would I get in trouble? Im not on the electorial roll or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I filled it in truthfully. My national identity is Welsh, English, British and Carribean, and I consider my religion to be Sith Lord.
    I'm a jedi, this could get messy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    believing in something strongly enough to slightly hamper a census just seems like a piss poor sort of belief - but I guess it's better than becoming a suicide bomber
    Well I don't care about the actual census - Lockheed get their money either way. Not doing it how they want me to do it is as close to boycotting it as you can get without the risk of prosecution. My actions aren't particularly reflecting my beliefs on the matter - more the fact I don't have £1000 to throw away if they decide to prosecute (which while I recognise is unlikely, it's still possible).

I know it won't really make a difference, but then it doesn't require much effort on my part anyway - either way I'd have to fill it out at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Only seen page 1, I never got the census and live in Scotland.

I Hate the idea of being forced to fill it in, no matter how "easy" it is to fill in.

I am a disbaled person anyway so have apathy and lethargy problems but knowing the government they will pressure me regardless.

Anyway so if I dont fill it in, would I get in trouble? Im not on the electorial roll or anything.
    Lot's of people are apathetic (hence the £1000 fine) - I struggle to see how being disabled could be a valid excuse?

As to whether you'd get in trouble - you'd be hassled by census reps coming to your house to find out why you haven't filled it in and who will try and get you to do so. They may choose to prosecute, but out of all the people who don't fill it in, a only a tiny minority get fined.

Though if you just "hate the idea of having to fill it in" then I don't see why you'd want to risk it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Lot's of people are apathetic (hence the £1000 fine) - I struggle to see how being disabled could be a valid excuse?

As to whether you'd get in trouble - you'd be hassled by census reps coming to your house to find out why you haven't filled it in and who will try and get you to do so. They may choose to prosecute, but out of all the people who don't fill it in, a only a tiny minority get fined.

Though if you just "hate the idea of having to fill it in" then I don't see why you'd want to risk it?
    When I say apathetic I mean to everything in life since I have depression and my disabilites affect my apathy and state of mind.

I struggle to find sympathy for everything in life so this is just another thing to me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want my area being under-funded thanks, so I'll fill it out properly.
    Besides, nothing's on the form that I actually mind people knowing - my age/gender/etc so I don't see the problem.

People will always find something to moan about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivars)
    It really worries me that so many people seem to have no qualms whatsoever about handing over a pile of private information to a government that has shown time and again that it cannot keep your information private. Is it really any of the goverment's business who is staying over in your house tonight?

And it surprises me how many people give a ****. They already know all of this info, this just puts it in a condensed form.

And because it helps them check if those visitors are legal or illegal, I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Concerns were raised during contract negotiations that the US PATRIOT Act could be used to force Lockheed Martin to reveal census data to US authorities. The Cabinet Office state that Lockheed Martin will "develop the systems" used to process census data, but that "in essence ... neither Lockheed Martin UK nor any Lockheed Martin employee will have access to personal Census data." The Office of National Statistics stated that no personal census information will ever leave the UK or be seen by any American-owned company.

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=6909

Talk about an overreaction

ReputationRep:
    I personally did not like being threatened for not taking part in something I had signed no contract to do so or agreed in any way. This whole census has been a bit of a mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    I don't want my area being under-funded thanks, so I'll fill it out properly.
    Yes I am sure the government will cancel the public sector cuts immediately when they receive your form.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid idea, anyone who does this needs to kill themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivars)
    You're quite right, which is one of the reasons why there is no need for me to fill in the census under the empty threat of prosecution.
    They already have all the info, but the info is stored on a range of different databases and I don't think they can legally transfer information between all the different bodies at the moment so a legally enforced census is the easiest way to go about it. In 2021 there won't be a census. They will say it's too expensive and pointless when they have all the information anyway, therefore they will use this as an excuse to create a national database with a personal file on every person in the (Orwellian) country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    They already have all the info, but the info is stored on a range of different databases and I don't think they can legally transfer information between all the different bodies at the moment so a legally enforced census is the easiest way to go about it. In 2021 there won't be a census. They will say it's too expensive and pointless when they have all the information anyway, therefore they will use this as an excuse to create a national database with a personal file on every person in the (Orwellian) country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalmar)
    I personally did not like being threatened for not taking part in something I had signed no contract to do so or agreed in any way. This whole census has been a bit of a mess.
    Oh boo hoo, the mean old government are making me do something I don't want to :cry:

The amount of effort people have used whinging about it, they could have done it and moved on with their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Oh boo hoo, the mean old government are making me do something I don't want to :cry:

The amount of effort people have used whinging about it, they could have done it and moved on with their lives.
    They don't need me when they've got a good little boy like you. *pat*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalmar)
    They don't need me when they've got a good little boy like you. *pat*
    Mate, it took me 5 minutes. The government isn't out to get me so why am I going to risk a fine because they want to know how healthy I think I am.

Enjoy your visits from the survey monkey/fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Mate, it took me 5 minutes. The government isn't out to get me so why am I going to risk a fine because they want to know how healthy I think I am.

Enjoy your visits from the survey monkey/fine.

ReputationRep:
    What, and receive a fine? No...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.