Turn on thread page Beta

BOYCOTT THE UK CENSUS - Please Read : watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Yes I am sure the government will cancel the public sector cuts immediately when they receive your form.
    ok then, MORE underfunded PROPORTIONALLY to other areas.
    jeesh, it's not as if you couldn't work out what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalmar)
    I don't get it. Please feel free to explain what part if my previous post you disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Over 30,000 people were fined for not completing the last census.
    Source? I believe you pulled that number out of thin air. The real figure "2001 Census England and Wales. There were 39 prosecutions of which 38 resulted in a guilty verdict."

Source

The annotation taken from the bottom:

"Details of 6 per cent of the 1,500 or so fully reported incidents of refusal were passed on to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) Solicitors for consideration of legal action. A further 4,600 or so incidences of alleged refusal were reported but documentary evidence was insufficient to support prosecution."
    Do not bandy around figures if you are unwilling to post a source. Please correct me if I am wrong with my research.

ReputationRep:
    Already done it. :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Too late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Source? I believe you pulled that number out of thin air. The real figure "2001 Census England and Wales. There were 39 prosecutions of which 38 resulted in a guilty verdict."

Source

Do not bandy around figures if you are unwilling to post a source. Please correct me if I am wrong with my research.
    For about the 10th time, I made a mistake, I quoted a figure I read in an article about hte last USA census.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)

Source

Clearly they're not going to prosecute everyone, the little old granny who's been to her husbands funeral the week before and was confused by the questions and never got round to it they're going to go see and explain to her.

Some jackass who puts down deliberately misleading and false information and tries to make life as difficult as possible by scribbling out barcodes and whatnot however, I imagine they will be more interested in prosecuting.

Remember when you 'tick both male and female' you're effectively lying to the government, and being a troublemaker by scribbling out barcodes will only land you in it more.

Would you blatantly lie to a judge in court? No because you'd get your ass handed to you "Why yes judge my birthdate is 32nd of December 1791"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    For about the 10th time, I made a mistake, I quoted a figure I read in an article about hte last USA census.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see your subsequent posts.

ReputationRep:
    Posted it yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    I don't get it. Please feel free to explain what part if my previous post you disagree with.
    'Oh boo hooo I don't understand how adult discussions work please explain to me so I can feel like my opinion matters '

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    1. Are LM firing the bombs? No, that's the governments that buy them. That's like blaming a pharmaceutical company when people like Harold Shipman go mental.

2. How will it force higher costs to LM?

3. No, they really won't. All you're doing is giving the govt. a little extra money in the form of your fine. That's a noble goal if you want to do it, but tbh you sound seriously paranoid and like one of those people who just have to argue with everything so you can "fight the man".

In the end, if you want to get a fine for not doing it that's your business, but personally I think you're just trying to find an excuse to show of your contrariness.

(Original post by Joinedup)

at the end of the day Lockheed didn't force anyone to drop those bombs.
    1.Yes, but there's a clear difference between selling drugs to Harold Shipman when honestly believe he's a competent doctor and selling him drugs when you know what kind of sick twisted individual he really is. LM sold weapons to these countries knowing that they were likely to be used against civilians and propping up murderous dictatorships. Would it be responsible to sell guns to a proven murderer ? Now, are you trolling or just developmentally delayed ? If it's the former then you might want to get that checked out.

2.LM has been given a set amount of money by the UK Govt. To maximise profits they need to reduce the time taken to process the forms. Since UK workers would need to manually input the details they will have to be paid in overtime. Was that too difficult to comprehend ?

3.You only get fined if you don't return the form. There are more ways to signal discontent. I don't really care about 'fighting the man' and agree with most of the decisions of the UK Govt. Taking a stance on a particular issue doesn't necessarily mean paranoia.

You sound really apathetic about everything. Is there anything that you feel strongly about ?

Selling weapons to a stable country for defence is justifiable - this isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fo-Shizzle)
    Selling weapons to a stable country for defence is justifiable - this isn't.
    If you don't think the UK or USA should be able to buy weapons what country would be a suitable weapon purchaser?

Just think the boycott idea is rubbishy - seems pointless & passive aggressive. It won't affect the production of trident missiles or cluster bombs in the slightest.

Go picket a submarine base or something - least that way people will understand what it is you're unhappy about.

ReputationRep:
    So I came across this artice the other day which was pretty interesting - our 2011 Census is being carried out by US Firm Lockheed-Martin.

Why was a contract awarded to an American firm guilty of such crimes against humanity as complicity in torture (Guantanmo) and mass murder ? More importantly it is also facing charges of data theft and corruption/embezzlement.

Check out their other misconduct here - with cases of corruption, fraud, bribery, environmental damage and discrimination http://www.contractormisconduct.org/...D=38&ranking=1 (57 Violations ftw) :awesome:

Now, why is this important ? Here's why:

Don't boycott - dissenting on the form will be a much better option as it will reallocate the money from an Arms dealer to UK workers - You can do one of the following :

1. Write everything upside down.
    2.It is always fun to fill in some of the white spaces in the bar codes on most of the pages.
    3.Write that you are confused and need an explanation for certain questions.
    4.Write in a foreign language.
    5.Cross all boxes.Everyone makes mistakes.
    6.Write in joined hand-writing- it's just in your nature.
    7.Don't just tick England - you are in "The Realm of her Gracious Majesty Queen Elizabeth II"

Remember it's all just natural human error.

:cool: cool thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    theres nothing on the census that I care if you us government knows about me...
    Who negged this?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all the old people in my area refused to fill it in.
    My mum was a collector person and she was going through them, and they've pretty much all just got lines through the pages :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GwrxVurfer)
    One question to anyone who has the job of chasing-up those who rejected the invitation to participate in the census.

How do you justify hunting down and rounding up those who disagree with YOUR belief that the census has to be filled in? Is it really that important to you?
    The census is an important part of being a citizen of the UK - it helps the government understand who lives here and their needs. I'm all for an opt-out, but this opt-out should be reciprocal in that anyone that doesn't fill in the census should not be allowed to use anything that's publicly funded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ich Dien)
    Who negged this?
    one of the many paranoid people that fill this thread. I mean seriously if you read some of these responses :|

ReputationRep:
    So I came across this artice the other day which was pretty interesting - our 2011 Census is being carried out by US Firm Lockheed-Martin.

Why was a contract awarded to an American firm guilty of such crimes against humanity as complicity in torture (Guantanmo) and mass murder ? More importantly it is also facing charges of data theft and corruption/embezzlement.

Check out their other misconduct here - with cases of corruption, fraud, bribery, environmental damage and discrimination http://www.contractormisconduct.org/...D=38&ranking=1 (57 Violations ftw) :awesome:

Now, why is this important ? Here's why:

Don't boycott - dissenting on the form will be a much better option as it will reallocate the money from an Arms dealer to UK workers - You can do one of the following :

1. Write everything upside down.
    2.It is always fun to fill in some of the white spaces in the bar codes on most of the pages.
    3.Write that you are confused and need an explanation for certain questions.
    4.Write in a foreign language.
    5.Cross all boxes.Everyone makes mistakes.
    6.Write in joined hand-writing- it's just in your nature.
    7.Don't just tick England - you are in "The Realm of her Gracious Majesty Queen Elizabeth II"

Remember it's all just natural human error.

Found your 7-point plan very funny! I wish I had done that while our census was being filled in.

ReputationRep:
    This is pointless. As someone mentioned earlier, the PATRIOT Act can and has been used to gain informaion from Facebook. I'm certain that the majority of you have put more personal information on Facebook than on the Census.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    This is pointless. As someone mentioned earlier, the PATRIOT Act can and has been used to gain informaion from Facebook. I'm certain that the majority of you have put more personal information on Facebook than on the Census.
    You didn't read the whole post dude :p:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.