Turn on thread page Beta

Do you see patterns, colours or shapes that aren't there? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation too. I see different colours and shapes around the room and I see them when I close my eyes. When I'm at traffic lights it looks like the road is moving away from me. When you see these shapes or colours do you get a headache from them? I do.

I also hear things when I am about to sleep like the walls make a banging noise and I hear the noise like a someone is pulling up my carpet! I can't explain it but I turn on the light and nothing is there and this will happen all night.

I have no idea what it is..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lana_07)
    Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation too. I see different colours and shapes around the room and I see them when I close my eyes. When I'm at traffic lights it looks like the road is moving away from me. When you see these shapes or colours do you get a headache from them? I do.

I also hear things when I am about to sleep like the walls make a banging noise and I hear the noise like a someone is pulling up my carpet! I can't explain it but I turn on the light and nothing is there and this will happen all night.

I have no idea what it is..
    I see them all the time, so never get a headache specifically from them

I think the stuff with the road etc. is potentially quite dangerous, and might be a good idea to tell your GP about this, because this can seriously impact your judgement in a critical situation on the road. Not to be a mum, but you should really try to figure out if its perhaps something more serious than occular phenomena.

As for the hearing of things, I get auditory hallucinations when I am exhausted or very upset, but they are fairly slight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaken_earth)
    I see them all the time, so never get a headache specifically from them

I think the stuff with the road etc. is potentially quite dangerous, and might be a good idea to tell your GP about this, because this can seriously impact your judgement in a critical situation on the road. Not to be a mum, but you should really try to figure out if its perhaps something more serious than occular phenomena.

As for the hearing of things, I get auditory hallucinations when I am exhausted or very upset, but they are fairly slight.
    Hm interesting..

Oh no I don't drive.. If I'm a passenger I see it. I asked my dad about it and he had it for a few years but I will probably look into it before I do drive

With the noise if I ignore it it will get closer and louder and more frequent.. It just drives me insane! Has been happening for the last week or so now.

Thanks for your help anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lana_07)
    Hm interesting..

Oh no I don't drive.. If I'm a passenger I see it. I asked my dad about it and he had it for a few years but I will probably look into it before I do drive

With the noise if I ignore it it will get closer and louder and more frequent.. It just drives me insane! Has been happening for the last week or so now.

Thanks for your help anyway
    no prob

ReputationRep:
    Yes, green and pink spots. Esp. when I am tired

ReputationRep:
    I realise this is a year later but I get this. did you ever figure it out?

Its like noise on a television when its not properly tuned, but really fine, like you can see all the atoms and particles in the air, they are constantly pulsing and vibrating. in amongst the noise some of the dots appear to have strobe effects and appear to be moving towards my eyes whilst rapidly flashing black and white.

Another thing i see, i think due to being very sensitive to glare, but if i catch the glare out of the corner of my eye and sort of squint i get this crazy patterns across my vision, i can still see whats behind, its like line or dotted drawings on a sheet of acetate so you can see whats behind, theres just these layers of multicoloured patterns, its fascinating.

anyway I'm hoping someone sees this, I'm really interested to know if this is the same or similar etx, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow

(Original post by forsaken_earth)
    Basically my whole life I've had this, and I've always thought everyone's had this, but today my friend told me that most people don't see these things...

When you look at things, do you see everything through a veil of vibrating colour/pattern? Like little coloured dots or patterns... I mean I've had it my whole life so I've assumed everyone has it, but my friend really freaked me out today and I'd like to know if it's just me???

Does any of the above make sense or is there something really wrong with me , my eyes or maybe it's all in my head I don't know
    Hmm...this sounds similar to something I get. However mine is not permanent...I get is occasionally.

My 'problem' is wavy coloured fuzzy lines across my line of vision. They drive me insane and prevent me reading/watching tv/going on my computer. Basically anything that involves focusing of the eye.

And its called an 'Ophthalmic Headache'.

Afterwards, when the fuzziness had died down. I get a god awful headache. Mine are personally linked with tiredness and overuse of computer.

Maybe thats what you have? (Not a Doctor so have zero knowledge to be honest...!)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i have had something very similar too, but the only way i can describe what i see is like when looking through a kelidoscope it is very brightly colored shapes every where i look and it is distroying my life. I feel like im weird and i have no 1 that understands me . The doctors just sent me away with mygrain tablets . But a month later i still see this . Is it normal? Its very bringh and disturbing and often makes me feel sick and gives me headach when i see it . Is it real or is it my imagination ? Doctors suck i hate them all . They never have an answer for anything. Why do they exsist when ppl have to go around looking for solutions to treat them selfs coz docs cudnt be bothered to ..

ReputationRep:
    It's called Visual Noise. It's like looking through the white noise on a "snowy" TV except they are colors. I have our rather see then 24/7 and have a hard time seeing in the dark..even looking at stars in the night sky. It's hard to focus and look past the visual noise to see the stars. Adlai during the day, I notice it more when looking at solid surfaces. Also I noticed at night while laying in bed, if I think while focusing on the visual noise I can transform it into shapes.
    One time i transfer it into a spider and it scared me so much that i close my eyes only to still see it because my room in my eys lids were both black and dark. I felt silly and thought that i should have realised that would happen.
    I have been to the hospital to be seen by opthamologist (eye doctor). dilated my eyes, and dined that bright light in my pupil to look for abnormalities, but found nothing. Yet I still see this visual noise with do many colors. Like looking through a screen window or a very transparent layer.
    Some doctors claim it's a constant painless migraine. And doctors don't fully understand how the eyes work. Along side with the brain.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sometimes, usually a kaleidoscope of coloured circles. Mostly purple though, like the visual snow thing. I hear things when I go to sleep too. Like a siren in the background or something that is well away is suddenly amplified and all around me, it's not creepy or scary anymore but it does overwhelm sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    It's called Visual Noise. It's like looking through the white noise on a

ReputationRep:
    I used to have them. I used to be able to 'try' and see them, too. I don't seem to see them anymore though.

ReputationRep:
    If I look at straight lines they start to distort in a pulsing, wave-like manner after a couple of seconds.

ReputationRep:
    If it bothers you - try talking to a meditation guru, you might have some supernatural powers that you are about to discover

ReputationRep:
    OMG I have this too ,It really creeps me out at times. Everything just sort of looks pixelated and then you randomly see multicolored shapes and lines. You can also blur your vision or blur specific objects. I'm not sure what it is but I doubt that it has something to do with eye problems. I have also recently developed the ability to make myself see shapes but it's more difficult.Does anyone actually know what this is called?

ReputationRep:
    You have Visual Snow Sundrome. It's pretty rare and doctors don't know anything about it yet, but there's are online sites and stuff. Everyone can experience symptoms of visual snow at some point in the their life, but not as intensly or constantly as those with the syndrome. You can be born with it (like me) or develop it later in life. Hope this helps someone!

ReputationRep:
    I see all kinds like shapes or horror vision like things and I’m begging to think I’m going crazy... I have anxiety but won’t go to a therapist incase they are up to something so I don’t know who to trust and now I’m worried. Same story here and can never get my head around it so I can’t win can I?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you got an answer to this yet, but it's called Visual Snow Syndrome, it's a fairly rare processing issue that very little is known about. It's an issue in the brain, not the eye, but tired eyes will make it worse as they transmit info to the brain. It causes light sensitivity, palinopsia (after-images), phosphenes (the shapes that float about), glare, sometimes colour confusion, and visual snow (the static that looks like an old tv with high ISO).
    No one knows what causes it yet, but you can be born with it (like me), or it can develop later in life (in some cases due to drug use), and it's been speculated that it is linked to migrane aura, or is due to a imbalance in the processing of motion, colour, and light.
    In my case it tends to get worse when I'm tired, unwell, have low blood sugar, or have been exposed to the wrong lighting.
    I also have Meres-Irlen Syndrome, so I suggest looking into that if you're experiencing this because you can get help at college if so (DSA and possibly funding for special glasses to help), but you can't get help for Visual Snow because no one knows what it is.
    Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.