Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I play rugby for my university and 3 months ago I was at a measly 12 stone. So I've been bulking since then and Im nearly a full stone heavier. I think I've hit a plateau though since the biggest results happened were during the early part of my "workout", while this past month I've hardly gained any weight at all.

Was wondering how to get out of this? Also im currently training for some cross country races in the summer as well, so I was wondering whether this could be a factor?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to gain weight?

12 stone sounds like a good weight, unless you are very tall. If rugby requires you to be an unhealthy weight, then why bother with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Why do you want to gain weight?

12 stone sounds like a good weight, unless you are very tall. If rugby requires you to be an unhealthy weight, then why bother with it?
    Im 5'9 and aiming for 13 and a half stone, hardly an unhealthy weight if its muscle. Tbf its probably still too light.

ReputationRep:
    Are you still doing the same workouts you did at the beginning?

Every 6 weeks or so you need to switch your programme up and use completely different rep ranges or exercises. This prevents your body from getting acustomed and plateauing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    I play rugby for my university and 3 months ago I was at a measly 12 stone. So I've been bulking since then and Im nearly a full stone heavier. I think I've hit a plateau though since the biggest results happened were during the early part of my "workout", while this past month I've hardly gained any weight at all.

Was wondering how to get out of this? Also im currently training for some cross country races in the summer as well, so I was wondering whether this could be a factor?
    Ok, what did you start lifting and what are you lifting now?

Whats sets/reps are you doing?

Easy solutions will be "Eat more" and get on a decent routine.

Westside or SS or Bill Starrs or anything would be good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markkevin123)
    Being underweight can result from eating disorders and chronic diseases, and it is also a concern for athletes and naturally thin people who wish to be bigger, stronger, and more muscular. Elderly people may become underweight. The gradual loss of taste and smell, or the inability to prepare healthy meals, results in becoming too thin.Don't underestimate the importance of any of the five main parts of a successful weight gain program. It won't be all about your workout routines.
    lolwut?

ReputationRep:
    you are trianing for chalk and cheese, it doesn't matter how much you are trying to bulk up if you are training for cross country as well you are gonna shed the pounds real quick.

If you want to bulk up you need to eat, eat again, train, eat eat again, sleep, avoid too much aerobic exercise, if you want to build mass you need to eat and do weights, heavy weights with low to mid reps.

ReputationRep:
    Cross country training and bulking don't really work in the same paragraph.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.