Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've received offers from both LSE and Warwick. The thing is, I'm facing a terrible dilemma now.

Regarding the learning environment at lse, I've heard that it's pretty exam-based and competitive. Levels of student satisfaction at lse aren't that high based on last year's rankings.

On the other hand, Warwick ranked as 1st for accounting & finance based on last year's rankings. (Exeter was also ranked as 1st for acc & fin) Warwick also has a proper campus for uni students and life isn't that hectic as in London?

Mind sharing any experiences on uni life at lse/warwick? Thanks a lot in advance.
    And please do provide solid explanations. Thank you again!
    ( I really do hope none of you are biased towards any uni considering the fact that you're already enrolled in the uni itself . lol )

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude,

I study in Warwick in Management though. I really love the Warwick campus life... and actually I havn't heard a lot of person complaining about the warwick campus life... the atmoshpere is really nice up there

From what I heard of the acc and finance dudes, they really like their course, I heard like in financial management the guys were literally fascinated by their teacher...

I mean LSE or Warwick you'll have 2 differents experience... I think if you have been living all your life in london its nice to move out... if not then up to you if you prefer to live in london or live your life on a campus with a lot of facilites for sport and everything

I think on a course content these two unis are quite the same on an undergrade level but in postgrade lse is maybe better...

I think after you should choose where you feel happier

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion dependes if you want a big city or not... but if I was you I would choose LSE because of its great international reputation

ReputationRep:
    yes but Warwick is currently ranked as no.1 for accounting & finance. plus, it has proper campus facilities. Oh well, I'm still contemplating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_xien)
    yes but Warwick is currently ranked as no.1 for accounting & finance. plus, it has proper campus facilities. Oh well, I'm still contemplating.
    Please remember the rankings are undergraduate based so if you are going to do an MSc it doesnt count plus Warwick's programme was just launched last month so its very new as against LSE's where it is their oldest finance related programme.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick...i hear too much negativity from LSE

ReputationRep:
    Both would be excellent choices. Base your decision on where you think you will be happier for 3 yrs, and where you'll get the most out of both academically and socially. One's in the heart of London, the other is campus-based in the countryside.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    What kind of chance do you think I have of getting an offer for accounting and finance Bsc at either LSE or Warwick. Taking into account I got 6 A* 2a's and a Btec (apparently equiv to like 4 a*), poor AS- results probably going to get either
    aab c or aaa b in Math, Chemistry, Economics and Biology respectively. Along side a A*AA/ A*A*A prediction.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    For undergrad, I prefer Warwick. For postgrad, I prefer LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I know this is a bit of a bump but what were your grades like? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    3A*and 1A.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is excellent, but WHATEVER people say, LSE blows Warwick out of the water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bud Fox)
    Warwick is excellent, but WHATEVER people say, LSE blows Warwick out of the water
    In terms of international rep, that may be is true. But within the UK, there isn't any proof that going to LSE to read accounting and finance would give you more advantages.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf
    The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the 2010-2011 recruitment round are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (which for this analysis refers to Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of London) and Oxford.

Payscale Salary Survey:
    http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/...Warwick/Salary
    http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/...Science/Salary

http://news.students.efinancialcaree...wsItemId-29203
    But one LSE student who has secured an investment banking position says that, while the school's prestige and networking opportunities offer an advantage over most universities, it's largely on a par with Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and Warwick.

"I believe that the recruitment processes that I have experienced so far have been based on merit (results and past working experience) and not because of the school I am attending," he says.

And, if you're resourceful you'd see that there were a little more Warwick grads going interns at top BBs than there were from LSE. It does not indicate that Warwick is superior to LSE, and I am not implying that it is either. My position is that both Warwick and LSE offers the same tremendous opportunities to their graduates and success is largely a product of individual effort and ability.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=94

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_xien)
    Hi guys, I've received offers from both LSE and Warwick. The thing is, I'm facing a terrible dilemma now.

Regarding the learning environment at lse, I've heard that it's pretty exam-based and competitive. Levels of student satisfaction at lse aren't that high based on last year's rankings.

On the other hand, Warwick ranked as 1st for accounting & finance based on last year's rankings. (Exeter was also ranked as 1st for acc & fin) Warwick also has a proper campus for uni students and life isn't that hectic as in London?

Mind sharing any experiences on uni life at lse/warwick? Thanks a lot in advance.
    And please do provide solid explanations. Thank you again!
    ( I really do hope none of you are biased towards any uni considering the fact that you're already enrolled in the uni itself . lol )
    accounting & finance? get some balls and do a real degree mate!

ReputationRep:
    accounting and finance are highly vocational and pre-professional courses, but they are highly considered "real degree", mate. And they are quite hard courses too, specially if you're not fun with numbers.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have said, Warwick is a top notch institution, but I don't believe (completely) in rankings. In 2010, every ranking put Bath in the top 3 for business in front of LSE or even Warwick, is this true? Was it really better? I think you know the answer. I have been working for a few years now and can assure you, when HR depts from companies check your CV, they will mainly know top unis like Harvard, Yale, Oxbridge AND LSE, not Warwick, that's the truth to it (not saying it's good though).

ReputationRep:
    Sir, I never cited a ranking. The ones I presented on this thread were all surveys. They are verifiable and quantifiable data that show LSE -- whilst world renowned -- does not really have the edge that would "blow Warwick out of the water" in the UK. It may have a difference in other countries, I don't know. But in the UK, they are considered peers, by and large, and the numbers reflected on both unis' data have shown that LSE does not "blow Warwick out of the water".

In case you did not read my post and the links I provided, here's a little summary of it.

Salary Range for LSE: £21,122 - £73,204
    Salary Range for Warwick: £22,592 - £78,825

You probably have seen major discrepancies, like you said. But they probably existed abroad, not in the UK. Of course, bear in mind that I was talking about generality, which means, data outliers exist too. If you know of an LSE grad who's now quite successful, you would most likely going to meet his counterpart from Warwick. LSE is a great school. I don't doubt that. But other unis have slowly closed that gap.

ReputationRep:
    When I applied, I faced the same dilemma. My HoY rang PwC and asked the question "Do you regard LSE to be better than Warwick or vice versa?" and their reply was "They see them as equal, its more about the person blah blah". Make of that what you will

But yeh I'm at LSE, never fancied campus life and I've not regretted my decision.

ReputationRep:
    Even though i want to apply to Warwick, i would have to say LSE but that's because they seem to have a lot of econ, finance and accounting modules rather then just accounting and finance ones.

Employment prospects look similar.

They are a bit different when it comes to the social side as warwick is a isolated campus uni but LSE is in London and not a campus so it depends what you prefer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 11, 2011

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.