Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied for LCC CSM AND CHELSEA and slade and southampton

I have 4 rejections my offer is graphic art at southampton
    I just cant help but feel like an absolute failure, i didnt apply for a foundation during 6th form and I then decided after alevel results day that i wanted to study art related degree(since i enjoy it the most and had the highest grade in(A) ) so i got into my local college. i was happy there applied for ucas slightly optimistic because i had already the a-level grades, foundation and working hard toward my folio.

few months later 4 unsuccesful i always wonder what would have happened if i applied for a foundation at UAL or kingston or else where,

i feel so rubbish i thought art was the only thing that i was good at now i just feel like i am rubbish at that to should i even bother to go n do my degree in southampton i am obviously not THAT good. dont get me wrong i am so happy that they gave me an offer. but my mum is giving me a hard time about how far it is blahh blahh blahhh and the look of dissapointment when i tell my family all my london uni rejected me, i just feel like i should get a full time job.

i dont mean to sound arrogant i was always being praised about how good my work is(by teachers) now it just seems a bunch of lies, makes my downfall that bit harder to take, I wanted to study in london but now

I see people around me getting into ual, nottingham, and everywhere awesome and i didnt.

I had the stupid thought of oh its fine you can do an MA in ual, then i realised how stupid of me if i didnt get into an BA how the heck can i get into an MA.

sorry for the rant i just had to get it out of my system.

ReputationRep:
    seriously don;t let it get you too down. Art is sooo competitive. For Slade they have something like 1400 applicants and only 40 places, it;s so prestigious you really have to stand out.

I'm on my last year of A levels and want to do a foundation course in Sept so at least then I have a chance at getting into one of the top art schools for the degree course.

Applied to both my local College and UAL, and got offered a place at both. So now have to choose between the big opportunity of UAL and London.... versus my local college and staying at home(where I think I'd rather be for this year).

Don;t think I can afford to turn such a greta opportunity down though.

If I were you I would turn down the Southhampton offer, and go out and travel, maybe do some short courses at UAL, or do some interning for a year. Strengthening you portfolio and then reapply. No point accepting something your not happy with. You'll only regret it.

I love how art has no boundaries, for instance if we were academic students and we got rejected by the top uni's, like Oxbridge, then a year later we'd have even less of a chance of getting in. But art is so flexible being not just A level judged.

However having said that... as everyone knows... uni fee's are going up in 2012. So you may get your degree at 1/3 of the price if you were to start it in Sept 2011. Also this year a lot more people applied to degree courses because of the rise in fee's, so it must have been more competitive seeing as they didn't include more places.

Anyway good luck with your decision. It's such a hard one when dealing with your future I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    seriously don;t let it get you too down. Art is sooo competitive. For Slade they have something like 1400 applicants and only 40 places, it;s so prestigious you really have to stand out.

I'm on my last year of A levels and want to do a foundation course in Sept so at least then I have a chance at getting into one of the top art schools for the degree course.

Applied to both my local College and UAL, and got offered a place at both. So now have to choose between the big opportunity of UAL and London.... versus my local college and staying at home(where I think I'd rather be for this year).

Don;t think I can afford to turn such a greta opportunity down though.

If I were you I would turn down the Southhampton offer, and go out and travel, maybe do some short courses at UAL, or do some interning for a year. Strengthening you portfolio and then reapply. No point accepting something your not happy with. You'll only regret it.

I love how art has no boundaries, for instance if we were academic students and we got rejected by the top uni's, like Oxbridge, then a year later we'd have even less of a chance of getting in. But art is so flexible being not just A level judged.

However having said that... as everyone knows... uni fee's are going up in 2012. So you may get your degree at 1/3 of the price if you were to start it in Sept 2011. Also this year a lot more people applied to degree courses because of the rise in fee's, so it must have been more competitive seeing as they didn't include more places.

Anyway good luck with your decision. It's such a hard one when dealing with your future I know.

thanks for the reply, i would definitely tell u not to turn down the opportunity of doing a foundation at UAL, (because i wonder how things would have turned if i did apply for a foundation) the best thing i did was probably apply to universities i can see myself going to and southampton was one(but a safe option) but getting 4 rejection from the top unis hurt and made me doubt my own ability. I decided to take the offer for southampton because i did like it when i went n the teachers were friendly the only problem is the distance from home but oh well. I am doing a foundation now, so taking another year till i go to university and paying the extra tutition fees definitly helped my decision. You never know good things may come from southampton its just that i think that i am not very good at art, i need to get out of this negative mentality lol and start fresh at WSA

and thanks again for your reply

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.