Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Beating, spanking & hitting children... watch

ReputationRep:
    I do, I would never ever do it. My mum wouldn't dream of it.

ReputationRep:
    Under the law you're allowed to moderately 'discipline' your child and I think that's fair. Children do need a good smack now and again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    I don't even think you should do it to shock - what your saying to your child is, "if you don't behave the way in which I want you to, i'm going to threaten you with violence until you're scared enough to do exactly what I say" - Its barbaric.
    Either you mean "barbarous", or I have to disagree with you here. I'd hardly call spanking primitive or uncivilised. The question I'd ask you then, what makes putting the kid in a time-out better than a spank which doesn't hurt? In the end, all punishment is about scaring the child into learning correct behaviour, as deemed by the parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Instincts_2012)
    Well they wanted to discipline me to not play games - in their view playing games means automatic failure in life. (Their upbringing were also as strict).

They didn't just lash out at me for no apparent reason (like abusive parents would be), but still, their reasoning was too extreme.
    Youre not really getting it but ok.

ReputationRep:
    I get my ear pulled.

But not excessively.

ReputationRep:
    I was hit when I was a child by both my parents, my mother probably had it about right; a short sharp slap to shock me out of whatever I was doing wrong. My father however left hand prints on us numerous times, and you know the feeling when your skin is tingling from the smack? Had that a lot.

Do I detest it on the whole? Nope, I think sometimes words aren't enough to punish a child when they are misbehaving. I don't advocate regular, strong handed smacking but the occasional tap is effective if used properly. I will use smacking as a form of punishment when I have children in the same manner my mother used it, unless of course I'm blessed with perfect little angels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    I've been beaten up a fair few times, more around when i was 11/12 than when i was a child.
    In my opinion, if you raise a child from birth, then you'll never need to lay a finger on them if you know how to parent properly. Its counterproductive and lazy - All it does it make other forms of discipline less effective.
    I don't even think you should do it to shock - what your saying to your child is, "if you don't behave the way in which I want you to, i'm going to threaten you with violence until you're scared enough to do exactly what I say" - Its barbaric.
    I think a much better method of discipline is to give them time outs, take their toys or send them to bed early - but have a consistent disciplining system where you actually explain what they're doing wrong and why its wrong. Then they'll grow up actually understanding why they're being punished, instead of acting up then being totally bewildered when they get a smack around the head or legs.
    100% agree. Where's the learning process in just hitting a little person? Time spent reasoning with them is far better and they will learn what is appropriate and what isn't. Your relationship with them will just get better and better. I've never been physically punished in my life and I'm just about perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CODKING)
    100% agree. Where's the learning process in just hitting a little person? Time spent reasoning with them is far better and they will learn what is appropriate and what isn't. Your relationship with them will just get better and better. I've never been physically punished in my life and I'm just about perfect
    Ever tried reasoning with a 5 year old :lolwut: i think you are being a bit wet.

ReputationRep:
    I have personally found that if....

a white man beats his child....its called abuse

an asian/black man beats his child....its called discipline....

double standards much???

although I did get a fair few smack as a child (a little ****e I was )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Ever tried reasoning with a 5 year old :lolwut: i think you are being a bit wet.
    There is nothing wet about not wanting to hit a child but there is something worrying about the eagerness of some posters to have children and start whacking them.

I was five 10 years ago and never once had a tantrum. I do remember very clearly the withdrawal of privileges and how effective these sanctions were. It works and I intend to do exactly the same with any children of my own.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wet about not wanting to hit a child but there is something worrying about the eagerness of some posters to have children and start whacking them.

I was five 10 years ago and never once had a tantrum. I do remember very clearly the withdrawal of privileges and how effective these sanctions were. It works and I intend to do exactly the same with any children of my own.
    Yes, because anyone in this thread has expressed glee at the thought of hitting their kids :rolleyes:

Removal of privileges will result in an even bigger tantrum in most kids. It's not discipline, it's just teaching the kid to be two faced to get their stuff back.

ReputationRep:

Using emotive language and big ol green letters is rather silly. I'm not for "wacking children" at every given opportunity. The fact you are convinced you never had a tantrum as a five year old is laughable and that you think that just because you were (as you "remember" ) a perfectly behaved child doesn't mean everyone elses kids are.

Constantly reasoning with your child is more damaging when they are young then a smack and a firm no.

ReputationRep:
    What a wonderful example the parents are setting for their children - "someone's doing something you don't like? hit them, that'll solve the problem!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    What a wonderful example the parents are setting for their children - "someone's doing something you don't like? hit them, that'll solve the problem!"
    Bull, doesn't teach that. It teaches them "NO BACKCHAT TO YOUR MUM!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Bull, doesn't teach that. It teaches them "NO BACKCHAT TO YOUR MUM!"
    Nope. There's a logical pathway between the two, so there's every likelihood it could teach them that. At young ages kids pick up parental behaviour and it becomes an example they follow sometimes, so if the child sees that the parent is using hitting as a means of problem solving, and there's a logical pathway between the two, then it's possible that they could pick up that idea and behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Nope. There's a logical pathway between the two, so there's every likelihood it could teach them that. At young ages kids pick up parental behaviour and it becomes an example they follow sometimes, so if the child sees that the parent is using hitting as a means of problem solving, and there's a logical pathway between the two, then it's possible that they could pick up that idea and behaviour.
    Uhuh.

So we yell till we are blue in the face then?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with smacking a child on the bum when it's been naughty, but beating your child is another matter, although some would argue that it definitely teaches them not to misbehave again. I think that beating is too far!

Overall, I was never really smacked as a child because I was a little angel then I reached my teenage years...and it became the occasional smack accross the face when I was cheeky (I think this is really only happened about 5 or 6 times however in the last 4 years)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Uhuh.

So we yell till we are blue in the face then?
    If a parent is capable and competent they shouldn't need to. They should consider whether or not they would be good parents before actually squeezing one out in the first place.

Discipline occurs when you teach the child but if they don't listen ...smack them! :lol:
    Not on the face though :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I found being shouted at a lot scarier than actually getting beats. I still whimper at the thought of my mum going into rage mode. I'd freely admit I'd prefer to pick a fight with a proffesional boxer than face my mum when she's in rage mode.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.