Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    If a parent is capable and competent they shouldn't need to. They should consider whether or not they would be good parents before actually squeezing one out in the first place.
    So you'd never get annoyed at your kid if it was acting like a little ****? What if they proceeded to ignore your discussion and reacted to you taking their toys away by having a tantrum and breaking stuff.

What do you do then oh great and knowledgeable one?

ReputationRep:
    I know too many people whose parents were 'just disciplining them' (so we're not talking locked them up in cupboards and beating them until they passed out here) that resent their parents and had unhappy childhoods. One of them laughed when he heard his mother died; he later felt bad and cried at her funeral, mourned her genuinely ... but that his initial reaction was to laugh is chilling. I wouldn't want my kids to have that response to me.

Yeah their extreme people with no emotions!

ReputationRep:
    If a parent is capable and competent they shouldn't need to. They should consider whether or not they would be good parents before actually squeezing one out in the first place.
    Wow. Just wow.

Im assuming you dont have children or know the first thing about raising them so im going to ignore what youve just said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I know too many people whose parents were 'just disciplining them' (so we're not talking locked them up in cupboards and beating them until they passed out here) that resent their parents and had unhappy childhoods. One of them laughed when he heard his mother died; he later felt bad and cried at her funeral, mourned her genuinely ... but that his initial reaction was to laugh is chilling. I wouldn't want my kids to have that response to me.
    Utter bull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    So you'd never get annoyed at your kid if it was acting like a little ****? What if they proceeded to ignore your discussion and reacted to you taking their toys away by having a tantrum and breaking stuff.

What do you do then oh great and knowledgeable one?
    Yes, of course I would get annoyed, but part of being a competent parent is having the ability to control these minor emotions when it comes to your child. If you can't even force yourself to act on reason rather than emotion then how on earth can you claim to have the kind of approach or personality to raise a child?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course I would get annoyed, but part of being a competent parent is having the ability to control these minor emotions when it comes to your child. If you can't even force yourself to act on reason rather than emotion then how on earth can you claim to have the kind of approach or personality to raise a child?
    So what would you do then?

Don't just insult my future parenting ability and ignore the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Utter bull.
    You think that if you want - I can't prove it, but I know he said his parents only ever smacked him and I was there when he got the news.

Talk down the child ...emotional blackmail lol

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just wow.

Im assuming you dont have children or know the first thing about raising them so im going to ignore what youve just said.
    Nobody in my family, or the families of about 80% of the people I know in my home areas, uses violence as a means of discipline, and the majority of us turned out fine. Goes to show that there are ways of raising a child that depend of reason and rationality rather than acting upon emotions, such as annoyance.

ReputationRep:
    So what would you do then?

Don't just insult my future parenting ability and ignore the question.
    No idea, but it's clearly possible, since none of my family and about 80% of the people I know don't use, or were never subject to, violence, and have turned out just fine. So don't pretend that without physically acting upon petty emotions it's impossible to raise a child well.

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with you mung bean-eating hippies? There is nothing wrong with moderate discipline.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody in my family, or the families of about 80% of the people I know in my home areas, uses violence as a means of discipline, and the majority of us turned out fine. Goes to show that there are ways of raising a child that depend of reason and rationality rather than acting emotions, such as annoyance.
    Most families you know don't use smacking, and most kids turned out fine.

Most of the families I know used smacking (note: NOT beating their kids) and most of their kids turned out fine too.

Guess we're tied. Got any more "evidence" you'd like to present?

ReputationRep:
    Utter bull.
    Your beliefs don't change reality.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody in my family, or the families of about 80% of the people I know in my home areas, uses violence as a means of discipline, and the majority of us turned out fine. Goes to show that there are ways of raising a child that depend of reason and rationality rather than acting emotions, such as annoyance.
    See there you go usiing the word violence, Anyone using violence to raise a child is terrible but a smack as a last warning is not the same as beating the damn thing with an iron bar.

Its very nice that 80% of the people you know are up for parenting of the year awards but i highly suspect you're bending the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Your beliefs don't change reality.
    :rolleyes: i just can't...

ReputationRep:
    I know people who have turned out fine, including those who have been beaten, some just having a little smack, and others not having either - just the odd time out/grounding. Personally though, I don't think a light smack to reinforce discipline is a bad thing. To some extent, it can be a good thing. Certain things are quite obviously wrong whereas others it may not be so clear, as with most things. But, different people will always have different methods.

ReputationRep:
    Most families you know don't use smacking, and most kids turned out fine.

Most of the families I know used smacking (note: NOT beating their kids) and most of their kids turned out fine too.

Guess we're tied. Got any more "evidence" you'd like to present?
    Right, so the majority of children who weren't hit turned out fine, and the majority of those who were hit turne out fine. Surely it's more reasonable to conclude that violence, since it produces these equal results, shouldn't be used? Anybody who would choose to use violence when it's clearly unnecessary is definitely NOT parent material.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so the majority of children who weren't hit turned out fine, and the majority of those who were hit turne out fine. Surely it's more reasonable to conclude that violence, since it produces these equal results, shouldn't be used? Anybody who would choose to use violence when it's clearly unnecessary is definitely NOT parent material.
    I'l let my mother know that the boy from the internet said that.

ReputationRep:
    See there you go usiing the word violence, Anyone using violence to raise a child is terrible but a smack as a last warning is not the same as beating the damn thing with an iron bar.

Its very nice that 80% of the people you know are up for parenting of the year awards but i highly suspect you're bending the truth.
    As I said in another comment, your beliefs don't change reality. You can assert all day that I'm bending the truth if you want, but reality remains unchanged by your assertions. Perhaps you just don't want to accept the truth that your parents could have done a better job? Or that, if you have children, you could be doing a better job?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.