Turn on thread page Beta

Beating, spanking & hitting children... watch

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't spanked as a child, I don't believe it's right & won't be doing it to any children I have in the future. As with most threads the arguments on here are cyclic, I don't know why you even bother.

Personally I think it will be outlawed eventually...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    It's an act of physical aggression that is not reciprocal and has dominance as its intended outcome. It's violence.
    Again, so melodramatic. You're making it sound like parents beat their kids to within an inch of their life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    Again, so melodramatic. You're making it sound like parents beat their kids to within an inch of their life.
    I'm not at all. You just have the preconceived idea of violence as being extreme. I'm arguing that it doesn't have to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Austentatious)
    Who else detests this form of discipline? Who doesn't and why not?
    Clearly beating is too far, but smacking every now and again does the world of good. Just look ath the behaviour in schools now that they can't cane students. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether or not the child is clever, bear with me.

If he/she is clever then explain morality to it so that when you are not around he/she will not think yes I can be naughty as there will be no consequence to my actions.

If he/she is not the yeah, give it good spanking at it will soon learn.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you're clearly incapable or unwilling to offer any argument beyond accusations of lying or bending the truth, so there's no point pretending you can be intellectually serious when it comes to this matter.
    Enjoy the pedestal youve planted yourself on. Must be so high up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Enjoy the pedestal youve planted yourself on. Must be so high up there.
    Yep, this pedestal puts me far above brutes who can't control a child without violence.

This form of discipline is an Indian way of life. :moon: I'll definitely be using it, but obviously nothing too over the top. :boxing:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, this pedestal puts me far above brutes who can't control a child without violence.
    Oh stop it. My mother and father were not brutes in slightest. You are being ridiculous. By all means use whatever parenting methods you see fit but do not sit there and insult my parents or anyone else's that used smacking in the correct fashion.

ReputationRep:
    liberals...

ReputationRep:
    Oh stop it. My mother and father were not brutes in slightest. You are being ridiculous. By all means use whatever parenting methods you see fit but do not sit there and insult my parents or anyone else's that used smacking in the correct fashion.
    Yes, because physical aggression towards your children, based on an inability to overcome petty emotions, is ever correct.

ReputationRep:
    Smack on the bum or backs of the legs to stop a child doing something is fine. Sitting down and talking to them isn't really going to work when they're in the act of setting fire to their sister or something.

When action needs to be taken quickly, a quick smack is fine. I doubt anyone here would agree to beating a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustSmile)
    I was smacked when I was naughty, and looking back I really did deserve it! It's not 'beating', that takes on a whole new meaning. You don't 'beat' a toddler when he tries to jam his fingers in a plug socket, but you do give them a smack and they defintely won't do it again...

As for schools, well, compared to the schools I went to when I was in Africa and the schools I attended here, I can say the disruptive behavior and plain disrespectful attitude kids have towards the teachers is ten times worse than it ever was at home. I'm pretty sure it's because the only thing teachers can threaten someone who's being an idiot in class is with something trivial like a detention, or a take-home slip.

If you know there will be a painful consequence for misbehaviour, you're not exactly going to act stupidly are you? I'm a firm advocate of a well-deserved smack.
    (Original post by Michael Locke)
    Anyone who causes real pain/leaves marks is doing it wrong.
    There is no problem with smacking a child to reinforce discipline. Beating and hitting are completely different as you well know. My mother had no issue with smacking any of us and if (lord have mercy) i have children i will smack them when i deem it necessary. Kids will push and push boundaries and sometimes a swift smack on the arse/back of the legs/back of the hand reminds them that they are not in charge.
    i agree with these posts. btw Trigger, ur sig is well funny, haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I have personally found that if....

a white man beats his child....its called abuse

an asian/black man beats his child....its called discipline....

double standards much???

although I did get a fair few smack as a child (a little ****e I was )
    I agree, it's ridiculous. Beating is abuse no what colour you are.

ReputationRep:
    What a wonderful example the parents are setting for their children - "someone's doing something you don't like? hit them, that'll solve the problem!"
    I know, it's stupid. I guess what some people mean is that if their kid is doing something wrong, they'll hit them, but doing something they don't like? The statement is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I wasn't spanked as a child, I don't believe it's right & won't be doing it to any children I have in the future. As with most threads the arguments on here are cyclic, I don't know why you even bother.

Personally I think it will be outlawed eventually
    I agree with you and I hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    I agree with you and I hope so.
    Yeah lets let the government tell us how to raise our kids. Whilst we are at it lets get them to tell us what to eat, where to work and what time we should go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    I was only smacked once as a child by my mum and I totally understand why it was necessary, I didn't behave the way I did in that particular incident ever again and I in no way resent it.

I learned mostly from my older brother and how he was disciplined, he was a total rebel, and he was lightly smacked occasionally, so I knew that wasn't the way I should behave. My dad was abroad every week working so it was mostly my mum, but she knew not to act out of emotion as she had been smacked like that as a child. I definitely support the way she disciplined him.

In my experience the kids who aren't disciplined this way grow up to be total douches, but not the rebellious kind, the snotty self-centered kind... This is exactly how my next door neighbour was brought up, and he wasn't popular at school and sixth form because he just thought he was the boss. When he cried for sweets and toys he was given them to stop him crying, I reckon this is crueler than a light smack used as a shock tactic!

Just as long as this form of disciplined isn't performed out of emotion and used tactically and lightly then it's fine, but it's very important and quite difficult to maintain that fine line, and I'm sure there can be incidents when it's hard for people not to cross it and act out of emotion, but the best parents have enough self-control to manage those emotions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lets let the government tell us how to raise our kids. Whilst we are at it lets get them to tell us what to eat, where to work and what time we should go to bed.
    That's not what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    That's not what I meant.
    Well i cant see any other way you could have meant it? When did i sign up to give up the right to decide how to discipline my children? Even if they outlawed it i would still smack them if i felt it was necessary.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.