Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Beating, spanking & hitting children... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Thin line between discipline and abuse. There is no argument against the former.
    Agreed. This subject isn't exactly black and white, but anyone with a couple of brain cells will know what's right (e.g. discipline) or what's wrong in bringing up a child (e.g. spoiling a child rotten or beating them for no good reason).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Well i cant see any other way you could have meant it? When did i sign up to give up the right to decide how to discipline my children? Even if they outlawed it i would still smack them if i felt it was necessary.
    But then if it was outlawed then it would be illegal, and you'd be breaking the law.

If it wasn't, you wouldn't be breaking the law. But what I was saying before, it's not as if I was trying to say that the government should teach parents how to raise kids. I was only agreeing with someone else's opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest OP I did a thread a this a while back:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1561335

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    But then if it was outlawed then it would be illegal, and you'd be breaking the law.

If it wasn't, you wouldn't be breaking the law. But what I was saying before, it's not as if I was trying to say that the government should teach parents how to raise kids. I was only agreeing with someone else's opinion.
    No ****, Sherlock :rolleyes:

So you think that the government should outlaw the physical disciplining of children, but you don't think that the government should teach parents how to raise kids:confused:

ReputationRep:
    The occasional smack's OK I think but if you have to resort to it you can't be that good a parent. Hitting or acting in order to frighten the child is never right.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get beaten plenty of times as a child. The worst was when I was four years old. My brother left the house and I decided to follow him and I quickly lost sight of him and got lost. It was a dangerous place in my country and there were deep fissures in the road for some reason, If i fell through one I would have died instantly. But anyway, my mum found me...took me home, stuck me in a freezing cold bath...and hit me with stinging nettles all over.

I can truly say all the beating I got as a child made me into the pacifist and soft person I am today, I thank my parents for forming me into a respectful member of society.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't so me any harm *shrugs*

As people have already brought up, there's a difference between disciplining your kids and smacking the seven shades of **** out of them, so as long as the line is observed and fully understood then I see nothing wrong with the former.

ReputationRep:

This makes no sense :lolwut:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No I don't hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Same here. Smack on the back of the legs if I was acting like a little **** in public (plus my mum did that creepy thing were she smiles sweetly so people think she's consoling you, then she whispers in your ear "do that again and I'm going to leave you here" in her deepest, scary as hell voice).

Worked wonders on all three of us, very quickly stopped acting like a little **** in public. She never once actually hit us with any hint of malice though, that's the line you have to find.
    Oh my god,my mum did this too! It scared the hell out of me but I wasnt scared of her,I just knew I had crossed a line.

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood the 'If you hit your child, you're teaching them it's acceptable to hit other people' argument. Surely that applies whatever kind of discipline you use - if you take away a child's toys, are you teaching the child it's acceptable to take people's possessions if they do something wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    No ****, Sherlock :rolleyes:

So you think that the government should outlaw the physical disciplining of children, but you don't think that the government should teach parents how to raise kids:confused:
    Ok maybe I am contradicting myself a bit here, but I was only responding to what someone was saying. Whatever laws there are, whether smacking is outlawed or not, it is ultimately the parents' responsibility to discipline their kids correctly and properly, they can't leave it to the government, but they must take heed of the rules. The government could advise, but not tell parents exactly what to do, after all there is no manual on how to be a parent. From some of the responses on this thread, it sounds as though there is only one way to discipline a kid, no other way, because there is no other way or people don't want to learn another way, and that's ridiculous. But then again you don't know until you are a parent yourself. I don't think we need the nanny state telling us what to do - we might as well have a authoritarian government if that is the case. Someone on this thread said that they thought it would be eventually outlawed (like in other countries) and I just said I thought so too, I can kind of imagine that happen, 'following in other countries' footstep'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    This makes no sense :lolwut:
    Ok, you were saying that you'd hit your child even if it was outlawed. In response to that I was trying to say that hitting your child would be against the law if it was outlawed.

Anyway, this debate is too cyclical it's getting on my nerves. In my opinion when it comes to discipline it is not a black and white type of topic. As far as I am concerned, if you are being entirely extreme (i.e. spoiling kids and doing nothing about their bad actions or beating them and abusing them) then that is bad parenting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddThings)
    Oh my god,my mum did this too! It scared the hell out of me but I wasnt scared of her,I just knew I had crossed a line.
    Hey, glad someone else gets what I'm on about.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, you were saying that you'd hit your child even if it was outlawed. In response to that I was trying to say that hitting your child would be against the law if it was outlawed.

Anyway, this debate is too cyclical it's getting on my nerves. In my opinion when it comes to discipline it is not a black and white type of topic. As far as I am concerned, if you are being entirely extreme (i.e. spoiling kids and doing nothing about their bad actions or beating them and abusing them) then that is bad parenting.
    Well of course it would be illegal but id do it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Hey, glad someone else gets what I'm on about.
    same here None of my other friends mum did that,they were never smacked,just told "no".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Beating is obviously too far, but my mum used to give me a good smack if I deserved it as a child, and it was a pretty effective method of behaviour control.
    This, although I normally cried if someone just raised their voice.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with smacking a child if they are naughty as long as you mix it with other punishments in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleFriendlyAndy)
    I used to get beaten plenty of times as a child. The worst was when I was four years old. My brother left the house and I decided to follow him and I quickly lost sight of him and got lost. It was a dangerous place in my country and there were deep fissures in the road for some reason, If i fell through one I would have died instantly. But anyway, my mum found me...took me home, stuck me in a freezing cold bath...and hit me with stinging nettles all over.

I can truly say all the beating I got as a child made me into the pacifist and soft person I am today, I thank my parents for forming me into a respectful member of society.
    that sounds horrible o.O

ReputationRep:
    i used to get beat for doing wrong
    i stole once and i got beat and it taught me well
    look at kids today, if they steal once they steal again]
    when i got beat it taught me a lesson to never ever steal again
    if i didnt get beaten i probs would have stole again

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.