Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    There is no problem with smacking a child to reinforce discipline. Beating and hitting are completely different as you well know. My mother had no issue with smacking any of us and if (lord have mercy) i have children i will smack them when i deem it necessary. Kids will push and push boundaries and sometimes a swift smack on the arse/back of the legs/back of the hand reminds them that they are not in charge.
    Do you think there are other methods as effective that can show a child that they are not in charge?

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely going to smack my kids now and then. Beating is out of the question. When does a smack become beating? Apply common sense. A smack is usually once, not a continuous stream of force (usually excessive force, again apply common sense), and it's also a last resort.

I won't accept a nanny state telling me how to bring up my kids. I know better than the state, thank you very much. It's bad enough they tell us what to eat. Get lost!

For the record, even if smacking became illegal, I'd still do it.

There is something to be said of the state instructing people on every matter in their life. When this happens, the population inevitably becomes dumb, stops using any common sense and only acts on instruction. So if there is no instruction, they do stupendously idiotic things. You can't write a manual for every eventuality in life. Child abuse is a real worry but lets be realistic: parents over the centuries have smacked their children when necessary and this hasn't left a trail of broken kids to my knowledge. It's easy to think we're more advanced, but some things need not necessarily change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescafrancesca)
    that sounds horrible o.O
    Maybe, But the result was an obedient respectful child so Im glad they did it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    smack = fine. as long as it isnt leaving bruises or whatever.
    beating them up = wrong. they is a LINE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleFriendlyAndy)
    I used to get beaten plenty of times as a child. The worst was when I was four years old. My brother left the house and I decided to follow him and I quickly lost sight of him and got lost. It was a dangerous place in my country and there were deep fissures in the road for some reason, If i fell through one I would have died instantly. But anyway, my mum found me...took me home, stuck me in a freezing cold bath...and hit me with stinging nettles all over.

I can truly say all the beating I got as a child made me into the pacifist and soft person I am today, I thank my parents for forming me into a respectful member of society.
    I call troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    smack = fine. as long as it isnt leaving bruises or whatever.
    beating them up = wrong. they is a LINE.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vib-Rib)
    I call troll.
    A green creature who lives under a bridge?

In my native country we do things a little differently than here, teachers can still beat students.

ReputationRep:
    Using emotive language and big ol green letters is rather silly. I'm not for "wacking children" at every given opportunity. The fact you are convinced you never had a tantrum as a five year old is laughable and that you think that just because you were (as you "remember" ) a perfectly behaved child doesn't mean everyone elses kids are.

Constantly reasoning with your child is more damaging when they are young then a smack and a firm no.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

My parents tell me I didn't have a tantrum.

"Constantly reasoning with your child is more damaging than a smack" Yeah, you look really good saying that. So you decide when your child is ready for the violence and you decide whether they can reason or not? Imagine the day when they are about to suprise and delight you by saying something insightful and you smack them instead. Real progress! Presumably you also decide when they are a bit big and might turn round and plant one on you. How do you administer discipline after that memorable day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I wasn't spanked as a child, I don't believe it's right & won't be doing it to any children I have in the future. As with most threads the arguments on here are cyclic, I don't know why you even bother.

Personally I think it will be outlawed eventually...
    Agree 100% You are also right about the cyclic nature of things on here but I'm still horrified at the unquestioning belief in violence, no matter how 'lite' it is. There are people who are already sure they will strike children they haven't even conceived yet. Insane.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe that it's that bad, though the worst thing you could do is slap a child. That I will never do.

ReputationRep:
    I was spanked as a child when i misbehaved, and i dont see anything wrong with it. Obviously some bad parents use it as an excuse to beat their kids black and blue, which is child abuse. However a little tap on the arse or back of the legs, so the child knows it has done wrong is perfectly acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Beating and hitting, no. I have somewhat lunatic parents, and it definitely took part in turning me into a bit of a mad person (I'm very..uh.. odd)
    never hit me as a little kid, more from about 10-16, still occasionally now though I'm an adult so I don't mind so much, usually only as the result of an argument so I know if i don't shut up I'll be getting a smack round the face. (yeah, yeah move out. it's not that easy and I've a kid sister to be thinking of ) I don't think that was right, but a small, light smack occasionally under about 8 years old is fine, I think.
    When you start making your kids constantly fear you or hitting them for no reason, then you've ****ed up big time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CODKING)
    You are entitled to your opinion.

My parents tell me I didn't have a tantrum.

"Constantly reasoning with your child is more damaging than a smack" Yeah, you look really good saying that. So you decide when your child is ready for the violence and you decide whether they can reason or not? Imagine the day when they are about to suprise and delight you by saying something insightful and you smack them instead. Real progress! Presumably you also decide when they are a bit big and might turn round and plant one on you. How do you administer discipline after that memorable day?
    Oh you are a very silly little thing aren't you? Smacking is not violence, constantly giving your child options and trying to reason with something that has no grasp on empathy is retarded, fruitless and counter productive and i never tried to "plant one" on my parents so your argument is mute.

Try actually having children before you tell people how to raise them.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you are a very silly little thing aren't you? Smacking is not violence, constantly giving your child options and trying to reason with something that has no grasp on empathy is retarded, fruitless and counter productive and i never tried to "plant one" on my parents so your argument is mute.

That's an interesting point to raise.
    If I were to smack an adult, no doubt that would be considered assault, so where exactly is one to draw the line?

ReputationRep:
    Any violence on a child, be it smacking or whatever is just plain idiotic, and without justification.

All it does is demonstrate that bigger people can hit smaller people as long as they think they have a good reason.

So it "shocks" small children does it? And that's a good thing?

How about it teaches children to fear the pain their parents will inflict on them if they misbehave?

Take this to its natural conclusion - why does it have to stop with children? Children do silly things, act irrationally and sometimes do things which are dangerous. The justification for smacking is that it teaches them that it is wrong and shocks them back into correct behaviour.

Ok.

So if you have elderly parents who have sadly become senile, or have diminished awareness of their surroundings - why not start smacking them too? Your 80 year old dad wanders into the road after you have told him a hundred times not to - give him a good slap.

Your 78 year old mother is crying and causing a scene in the supermarket as she has lost her handbag (again) - just grab her by the arm, smack her on the backside and tell her to behave.

Is that not exactly analogous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Clearly beating is too far, but smacking every now and again does the world of good. Just look ath the behaviour in schools now that they can't cane students. :sadnod:
    Kindness is a better teacher than the cane. And I certainly don't agree with teachers hitting their students!!!!

Teachers hit students :eek: not in the UK they don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Any violence on a child, be it smacking or whatever is just plain idiotic, and without justification.

All it does is demonstrate that bigger people can hit smaller people as long as they think they have a good reason.

So it "shocks" small children does it? And that's a good thing?

How about it teaches children to fear the pain their parents will inflict on them if they misbehave?

Take this to its natural conclusion - why does it have to stop with children? Children do silly things, act irrationally and sometimes do things which are dangerous. The justification for smacking is that it teaches them that it is wrong and shocks them back into correct behaviour.

Ok.

So if you have elderly parents who have sadly become senile, or have diminished awareness of their surroundings - why not start smacking them too? Your 80 year old dad wanders into the road after you have told him a hundred times not to - give him a good slap.

Your 78 year old mother is crying and causing a scene in the supermarket as she has lost her handbag (again) - just grab her by the arm, smack her on the backside and tell her to behave.

Is that not exactly analogous?
    :lolwut: what? No of couse it isn't!

How can you liken smacking a child for running across a road for example to hitting an elderly person with mental health issues? Scraping the barrel is something you seem to be very good at.

ReputationRep:

Why the barbed comment? Is it really necessary in a debate on here? I credit you with higher intellect than that and certainly hope you don't think my age precludes me from debating with you.

1. Smacking is not violence.

Eh?

2. Try actually having children before telling people how to raise them.

That old chestnut! So I can't say where I stand on parenting until I'm a parent? So a 15 year old chavette mother who smoked and drank White Lightning throughout her pregnancy and has no idea who the father was, is always going to be more knowledgeable than someone who isn't a parent? That's the sort of cod logic that people who attended the 'University of Life' come up with.

Incidentally, the thread invites opinions and I have given mine. I haven’t told you or anyone else how to raise their children, so your final point is moot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CODKING)
    Why the barbed comment? Is it really necessary in a debate on here? I credit you with higher intellect than that and certainly hope you don't think my age precludes me from debating with you.

1. Smacking is not violence.

Eh?

2. Try actually having children before telling people how to raise them.

That old chestnut! So I can't say where I stand on parenting until I'm a parent? So a 15 year old chavette mother who smoked and drank White Lightning throughout her pregnancy and has no idea who the father was, is always going to be more knowledgeable than someone who isn't a parent? That's the sort of cod logic that people who attended the 'University of Life' come up with.

Incidentally, the thread invites opinions and I have given mine. I haven’t told you or anyone else how to raise their children, so your final point is moot.
    Right for the second time stop with the ridiculous green text, it doesn't make me care any more about your point and it makes you look like a moron.

Secondly no i do not think the correct method of smacking is violence no matter what emotive language you use.

Thirdly your views on other people are pretty vile and i have no idea why you felt the need to bring in such an example but yes, they know more about parenting then yuo because they are a parent. Funny that. Also i have no idea why you are mentioning the phrase "university of life" but i have no idea why you feel the need to have a degree to successfully bring up kids (my mother has two degrees and smacked us so work that on out).

And finally you have condoned anyone that uses smacking as a form of discipline when you know naff all about it so it isn't moot at all.

Thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.