Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I was referring to the Philosophy A level, not Philosophy and Religious Studies.
    I really enjoy Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison_141288)
    just wondering. i want to do law at university and im going to drop a subject at the end of this year so if i was to drop law, would the university ask why i had
    Unless you don't enjoy law, keep it. It may not be as respected as the others, but even so you'd still have 3 A-levels and an AS in traditional subjects and although you don't need A-level law to do it at uni, it might be seen as a lack of interest in the subject if you drop it.

ReputationRep:
    when i apply to uni, will they be able to see the AS' you took as well as the ones you're carrying on to A level becasue i heard you could reject a subject so it wouldnt appear on your ucas form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison_141288)
    when i apply to uni, will they be able to see the AS' you took as well as the ones you're carrying on to A level becasue i heard you could reject a subject so it wouldnt appear on your ucas form
    Yep, you can decline a grade if you're not happy with it and then you don't have to put it on your UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destudent)
    :eek:

I do IT!
    It's the same thing. Your school/college probably just drop the C bit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really upset. I take both Business and Accounting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaisersalsek)
    Many universities apply the same blacklist for competitive subjects.
    Really?? I would have thought that something like Fine Art at Oxford is incredibly competitive, and would obviously require an A-Level in a subject like Art and Design...

Oh well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    Really?? I would have thought that something like Fine Art at Oxford is incredibly competitive, and would obviously require an A-Level in a subject like Art and Design...

Oh well...
    Economics and Management is competitive but you dont need a level eco- you need maths.

compi science is competitive, u dont need a level computing- you need maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirl)
    That so called 'black list' is annoying and I would encourage people who feel stressed out or discouraged because their subject appears to be on it not to. This list doesn't represent anything - it's only what that one uni amongst thousands of others has stated. If you enjoy your subject, continue with it and don't create unnecessary questions in your head "should I have taken [insert subject] instead"

You're much more likely to get high grades in a subject you enjoy which looks a helluva lot more respectable than abysmal grades at a 'good' subject.

Another thing, there isn't any way of justifying what subjects should be on that list anyway. It's all a matter of preferences.
    what uve just said is utter _________!!!

Many people are not told that many subjects are not academiclly viewed and when it comes to applying for uni in yr 13 they get disappointed because they've been rejected for not having strong subjects!

I think they shouldnt teach these pointless subjects, whats next- A Level Playstation Studies?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    I think they shouldnt teach these pointless subjects, whats next- A Level Playstation Studies?!?!?
    It's interesting to see that you hold a subject like ICT in the same caliber as "Playstation Studies". ^o) Now I can't call that "utter _______" [/sarcasm]

Many people are not told that many subjects are not academiclly viewed and when it comes to applying for uni in yr 13 they get disappointed because they've been rejected for not having strong subjects!
    While I understand where you're heading with your theory, you seem to be completely rulling the fact that people have chosen these subjects initially because they enjoy it. Telling them at this point that it's a weak or crap subject is only going to make them feel discouraged. What if a student doesn't want to take a Maths or Science based A-level?

You are aware that each of those subjects on the black list are taught at university too, right? One can't constantly act in a way which is aiming to please people. A-level itself is contantly undermimed, the media claim it's getting easier each year and losing respect. Why don't we all just stop studying then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirl)
    You are aware that each of those subjects on the black list are taught at university too, right?
    In many cases (Law is a perfect example), that's why they're so called 'mickey-mouse' A levels. They're too big and complex a subject, in both breadth and depth, to do anything but teach students a cut-back, diluted version of the real thing that will actually go against them if they carry on that subject to university because they'll have to be untaught much of what they've learnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirl)
    It's interesting to see that you hold a subject like ICT in the same caliber as "Playstation Studies". ^o) Now I can't call that "utter _______" [/sarcasm]
    well both can be studied at home without a teacher

(Original post by swirl)
    Telling them at this point that it's a weak or crap subject is only going to make them feel discouraged.
    Im sure they'd rather feel discouraged than to have to waste a year reapplying through ucas because their chosen university doesnt like their subjects.

(Original post by swirl)
    What if a student doesn't want to take a Maths or Science based A-level?
    Then they can take economic, geography, politics, languages etc

(Original post by swirl)
    You are aware that each of those subjects on the black list are taught at university too, right? One can't constantly act in a way which is aiming to please people. A-level itself is contantly undermimed, the media claim it's getting easier each year and losing respect. Why don't we all just stop studying then?
    Ever thought that it could be these easy subjects that contribute to rising percentages of A grades?

Apart from law nothing else in the list is taught at the more prestigious universities.

To make a levels better:

Ban unacademic subjects

Introduce A* grade (540/600)

Include more degree level content

ReputationRep:
    Ban unacademic subjects
    Who decides what is academic and what isn't?

In previous debates the general concensus has been that this would simply devalue all the grades.

Why? You're got 3 to 4 years at uni for that.

ReputationRep:
    They may be pointless to you, but if people enjoy them and find them relevant to what they want to do at uni/as a career, how are they pointless? I hate sciences, I have no interest in them whatsoever, they're not my strongest subjects and I want to teach languages, so me studying biology, chemistry, physics and maths would be pointless, but that doesn't make those subjects pointless or not worth studying.

ReputationRep:
    well both can be studied at home without a teacher
    Any subject can be studied at home without a teacher; it just takes more effort and motivation than studying it as a taught A-level subject at school or college.

Im sure they'd rather feel discouraged than to have to waste a year reapplying through ucas because their chosen university doesnt like their subjects.
    I think you're putting far too much emphasis on subject choices. Most universities probably don't care that much as long as you have any subject that's necessary for your chosen degree course. Only LSE have a blacklist, and a lot of subjects that many people would consider 'mickey mouse', such as sociology and psychology, aren't even on it! If someone decided to take maths, physics, French and history because they'd heard they were 'good' subjects when really they had no interest in them and weren't that good at them, they'd end up reapplying anyway because they wouldn't get the grades they needed.

Then they can take economic, geography, politics, languages etc
    Why should they if they don't enjoy them? Who are you to tell people what they can and can't study?

Ever thought that it could be these easy subjects that contribute to rising percentages of A grades?

Apart from law nothing else in the list is taught at the more prestigious universities.

To make a levels better:

Ban unacademic subjects

Do you actually study any of these so-called 'easy' subjects, or are you basing your opinion purely on what you've read in the media? Someone posted some statistics in a debate on this a while ago showing that more people got As in maths than in media studies, and more people get As in further maths than in almost any other subject. Does this mean media studies is harder than maths and that further maths is a doss? Statistics can't be taken at face value. I have no doubt that if I took A-level media studies, I'd probably struggle to get a C because I only managed a B at GCSE, but in French I got an A* at GCSE and an A at AS with relative ease. So how can you say media studies is easier than languages? For me it isn't- it's all down to personal preference and strengths. I agree with introducing an A* grade, but you can't force people to study subjects you deem 'academic' and what would be the point of university if degree level content was covered at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    ^^

Exactly! The LSE only offer a small range of courses, and so have a blacklist that only applies to those that they offer. Somewhere that offers Engineering would probably take off some of the subjects on that list, like Art or D&T, since they are relevant to the course.

ReputationRep:
    kellywood_5 - :congrats:

I echo the sentiments you have expressed so eloquently.

ReputationRep:
    ...interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirl)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirl)

Yes, it was very lucidly written. Well done! (Pitiful) rep for you!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.