Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh for christs sake!!!!

Think about this before you come out with your little "oh its going to make them feel demoralised" arguments- if that demoralises them, then they are in for a real shock in life!!!

Traditional A Levels are harder than these pathetic ones that have been introduced. Therefore is it fair if oxford give one person an offer of AAA in M, FM and Chem whereas another gets AAA in Bus, Media and Film?

No its not fair, as the first three are harder.

Is it fair that the second person most probably wont get in because of their subjects, yes because they chose them. However its because of people like you- that the second person wasnt advised that his subjects were not liked incase he was demoralised!

An A Level is an a level, it should be equal in difficulty to a certain extent. So why should one person study film studies and one study further maths, get the same grades and deserve the same praise???- They shouldnt!

If you want to learn subjects like Film Studies etc, they shouldnt be Advanced Levels, they should be something else.

Traditional Subjects:

Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Additional Further Mathematics
    Electronics
    Statistics
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Geology
    Biology
    History
    Geography
    Religion
    Critical Thinking
    Theology
    Philosophy
    Languages (inc english)
    Economics
    Politics
    Classics
    (theres probably one or two more i just cant remember)
    Perhaps Classical Civilisation

If you cant find 3 or 4 subjects in that list that are of interest to you- then you have problems!

Non Traditional Subjects

Accounting
    Law
    Business Studies
    Media Studies
    Health and Social Care
    Film Studies
    Communication
    ICT/IT/Computing
    Psychology
    Sociology
    PE
    DT
    Home Economics
    General Studies
    Environmental Science
    Travel and Tourism
    (cant remember anymore as i dont really agree with them)

Not Sure: Music

btw check my sig- i studied DAVCE ICT and Business Studies and what a waste of time that was! The universities im applying to dont even recognise what i did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    They may be pointless to you, but if people enjoy them and find them relevant to what they want to do at uni/as a career, how are they pointless? I hate sciences, I have no interest in them whatsoever, they're not my strongest subjects and I want to teach languages, so me studying biology, chemistry, physics and maths would be pointless, but that doesn't make those subjects pointless or not worth studying.
    who said you have to study sciences???? All i said is that you shouldnt be studying pointless subjects like Media Studies and Film Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    who said you have to study sciences???? All i said is that you shouldnt be studying pointless subjects like Media Studies and Film Studies.
    She's just using it as an example... She's not saying that you have to study sciences either - in fact, she doesn't study them either.

She's just making light of the fact that "pointlessness" depends on the indivdual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    She's just using it as an example... She's not saying that you have to study sciences either - in fact, she doesn't study them either.

She's just making light of the fact that "pointlessness" depends on the indivdual.
    The point of a qualification is to prove your knowledge, having easy qualifications doesnt prove anything.

I made a list- if someone cannot find 3 subjects in that list then they might as well just go and get a job now. It would probably make university admissions much more easier with all students studying more or less the same subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Traditional A Levels are harder than these pathetic ones that have been introduced. Therefore is it fair if oxford give one person an offer of AAA in M, FM and Chem whereas another gets AAA in Bus, Media and Film?

No its not fair, as the first three are harder.
    You're very ignorant from what I read.

-People have different strengths. You can't possibly call a subject "harder" just because it's more traditional. Some people are naturally good at Maths and Science and would say they were "easy", and I'm sure there are people like that around, which says that it depends on the person you ask, and not everyone is the same.
    -You do not study Media studies or Film studies, and are not in a position to say that it is "easy".

-I find Sociology (a new subject as far as I know) my hardest A level at the moment, when all my other subjects are "traditional".

-Why shouldn't a student study something like Media or Film, when they may really enjoy it? Obviously someone who wants to go on and do a career in performance arts would find media, film, dance, art, or music pretty useful.

-As long as someone had for example 2- 3 "traditional" subjects, I don't see what is wrong with taking the 4th A level in a new subject. It is not really going to be the entire focus of a university application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icy Ghost)

-People have different strengths. You can't possibly call a subject "harder" just because it's more traditional. Some people are naturally good at Maths and Science and would say they were "easy", and I'm sure there are people like that around, which says that it depends on the person you ask, and not everyone is the same.
    -You do not study Media studies or Film studies, and are not in a position to say that it is "easy".

-I find Sociology (a new subject as far as I know) my hardest A level at the moment, when all my other subjects are "traditional".

-Why shouldn't a student study something like Media or Film, when they may really enjoy it? Obviously someone who wants to go on and do a career in performance arts would find media, film, dance, art, or music pretty useful.

-As long as someone had for example 2- 3 "traditional" subjects, I don't see what is wrong with taking the 4th A level in a new subject. It is not really going to be the entire focus of a university application.
    Yes i ok i shall rephrase what im saying

Not every a level you study should be academic- but you should have atleast 2, preferably 3 that are.

Wouldnt someone wanting to go into performing arts just study that at college for a BTEC??? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you study every subject possible, you have no way of knowing what's harder and easier in relation to others. Ignorance.... and arrogance.

ReputationRep:
    Im not ignorant, im annoyed that i wasted 2 years of my life, studying stupid subjects - that arent recognised and i wasnt told this by my school because obviously people are employed to teach these subjects and it wouldnt be professional to downtalk their subject of teaching.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with you with the whole easy qualifications thing. They don't prove much... But they offer choice to people who perhaps would like to do a vocational course... It is important to cater for as many people as we can. Unfortunately, in doing so, the government and exam boards have seen it fit to dumb-down some of their exams.

It is ridiculous to day that we are all getting cleverer, and that teaching is getting better. The simple fact is that subjects have become easier... And this had a knock-on effect of the "value" of qualifications... Shame, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    I do agree with you with the whole easy qualifications thing. They don't prove much... But they offer choice to people who perhaps would like to do a vocational course... It is important to cater for as many people as we can. Unfortunately, in doing so, the government and exam boards have seen it fit to dumb-down some of their exams.

It is ridiculous to day that we are all getting cleverer, and that teaching is getting better. The simple fact is that subjects have become easier... And this had a knock-on effect of the "value" of qualifications... Shame, really.
    I saw my physics tutor tonight and he was telling me that in a level physics you used to have to combine calculus and everything into it, perhaps even do some M5, M6 work from maths- but now it has been stripped of everything.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i ok i shall rephrase what im saying

Not every a level you study should be academic- but you should have atleast 2, preferably 3 that are.

Wouldnt someone wanting to go into performing arts just study that at college for a BTEC??? :p:
    No, what you were saying before was that these subjects were "pointless" and "pathetic".

Yes I said that these A levels would be useful for a career in performing arts, but some people may not have made up their minds about their future career, so by taking A levels (which give you broader options), it is likely they would take something in art or media, and maybe 2 more traditional subjects, just to broaden their options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    critical thinking???? :O tradtional?? Politics? Economics?? I agree with all ur non trad ones tho :p:
    Perhaps i should have said traditional/academic

Yes economics is viewed by any university as an academic/traditional subject, along too with Politics.

I thought critical thinking was- but my friend on msn has told me its easier than media studies lol

ReputationRep:
    Im not ignorant, im annoyed that i wasted 2 years of my life, studying stupid subjects
    I add "stupid" to my previous post too.

ReputationRep:
    No, what you were saying before was that these subjects were "pointless" and "pathetic".

Yes I said that these A levels would be useful for a career in performing arts, but some people may not have made up their minds about their future career, so by taking A levels (which give you broader options), it is likely they would take something in art or media, and maybe 2 more traditional subjects, just to broaden their options.
    yes but the fact is,

you dont need business studies to study business- you would be better off with maths/economics

you dont need ICT to do programming- you would be better off with maths

you dont need media to be a journalist- you would be better off with english

you dont need law to study law, you would be better off with history

you dont need accounting to study accounting- you would be better off with maths/economics

all of the academic/traditional subjects are the main ones that you need anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I saw my physics tutor tonight and he was telling me that in a level physics you used to have to combine calculus and everything into it, perhaps even do some M5, M6 work from maths- but now it has been stripped of everything.
    I know. I looked at the equivalent of an A-level Physics paper from 1970-something, and I did stuggle with the content and the Maths, not least because it was complex, but also because the time pressures were far greater... Not that it stopped it being fun :p:

ReputationRep:
    I add "stupid" to my previous post too.
    ????

ReputationRep:
    yes but the fact is,

you dont need business studies to study business- you would be better off with maths/economics

you dont need ICT to do programming- you would be better off with maths

you dont need media to be a journalist- you would be better off with english

you dont need law to study law, you would be better off with history

you dont need accounting to study accounting- you would be better off with maths/economics

all of the academic/traditional subjects are the main ones that you need anyway.
    You need them, but doesn't make the other subjects "pointless", "pathetic", "stupid" etc.

Skills that you obtain from any subject studied at A level are useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    Politics is a new subjects as is critical thinking and critical thinking is no better than GS.
    I was under the impression that critical thinking was highly regarded by universities.

Politics isnt traditional but it is viewed as academic

--------------

You need them, but doesn't make the other subjects "pointless", "pathetic", "stupid" etc.

Skills that you obtain from any subject studied at A level are useful.
    Yes but unless they are demoted to another qualification- they are sitting on the reputation of a levels, possibly reducing this reputation. They dont deserve to be called a levels- they are too easy to be a levels. I think they should be studied- but not as a levels. This should be made clear to people when embarking on these subjects.

However all schools care about is drawing students and they dont say this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but unless they are demoted to another qualification- they are sitting on the reputation of a levels, possibly reducing this reputation. They dont deserve to be called a levels- they are too easy to be a levels. I think they should be studied- but not as a levels. This should be made clear to people when embarking on these subjects.

However all schools care about is drawing students and they dont say this
    You don't seem to have really thought about my posts. Anyway:

-They do have less reputation, but it doesn't make them "stupid", "pointless", or "pathetic".

-You aren't in a position to call them "easy" when you have not studied them. In my example, Sociology is my hardest subject, despite being "new".

Politics isnt traditional but it is viewed as academic
    -Half of the subjects you put under "non traditional" are actually academic.

-If you want to do Economics, yes do Maths or whatever else is required, but there's no reason why you shouldn't study something like government and politics, which is regarded as "new".

-No A level is "useless", they give you skills.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't electronics a type of DT? Also every subject has its value, some are perhaps more useful than others and better veiwed however this does not make the others useless. Someone studying DT- product design may find the skills learnt relevant to go on and do engineering, architechture or product design degrees, which all lead to prosperour careers. No qualification is useless... except perhaps general studies.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.