Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    No qualification is useless... except perhaps general studies.
    indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    Oh for christs sake!!!!

Think about this before you come out with your little "oh its going to make them feel demoralised" arguments- if that demoralises them, then they are in for a real shock in life!!!

Traditional A Levels are harder than these pathetic ones that have been introduced. Therefore is it fair if oxford give one person an offer of AAA in M, FM and Chem whereas another gets AAA in Bus, Media and Film?

No its not fair, as the first three are harder.

Is it fair that the second person most probably wont get in because of their subjects, yes because they chose them. However its because of people like you- that the second person wasnt advised that his subjects were not liked incase he was demoralised!

An A Level is an a level, it should be equal in difficulty to a certain extent. So why should one person study film studies and one study further maths, get the same grades and deserve the same praise???- They shouldnt!
    Maybe you should think about how little you actually know about these 'non-traditional' subjects before you dismiss them as 'pathetic'. OK, so you've studied AVCE ICT and business studies and found both of those easy, but you haven't studied any of the others on your list, so how can you possibly know they're easy? And just because you find something easy doesn't make it pathetic and pointless- I find French relatively easy most of the time, yet it's on your list of hard, traditional subjects. Someone applying for maths is obviously good at it, so an offer of AAA in maths, further maths and chemistry would be no big deal to them, just as an AAA offer in media studies, film studies and business studies would be OK for someone applying for media. You can't possibly say the second group of subjects is 'easier' because that's totally subjective and depends on an individual's strengths. I personally would give exactly the same praise to someone with an A in further maths as someone with an A in media studies because they've both achieved a top grade in an A-level, end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawHopeful)
    Unless you study every subject possible, you have no way of knowing what's harder and easier in relation to others. Ignorance.... and arrogance.
    why did you neg rep me you ****?! Couldnt even have the balls to leave your name!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Maybe you should think about how little you actually know about these 'non-traditional' subjects before you dismiss them as 'pathetic'. OK, so you've studied AVCE ICT and business studies and found both of those easy, but you haven't studied any of the others on your list, so how can you possibly know they're easy? And just because you find something easy doesn't make it pathetic and pointless- I find French relatively easy most of the time, yet it's on your list of hard, traditional subjects. Someone applying for maths is obviously good at it, so an offer of AAA in maths, further maths and chemistry would be no big deal to them, just as an AAA offer in media studies, film studies and business studies would be OK for someone applying for media. You can't possibly say the second group of subjects is 'easier' because that's totally subjective and depends on an individual's strengths. I personally would give exactly the same praise to someone with an A in further maths as someone with an A in media studies because they've both achieved a top grade in an A-level, end of.
    A qualification is there to test you, you shouldnt have AS MUCH freedom because that defies the whole point!!! Otherwise surely you could just do a levels in things you already know? You see my point! I know lots of people that did a leve media/film and all they did was watch films all day! They didnt do any work and all got A's and B's. What skills have been learnt here??

I think that the choice of study should be reduced otherwise this is just going to spiral out of control. It is interesting to note that universities and schools that offer unacademic subjects are generally those that are struggling to attract students.

ReputationRep:
    This really is stupid, and its absurdity like this that forces people to abandon their favourite subjects.

Study what you enjoy, and in an area you feel you would like to enhance your knowledge base.
    If you study sociology or politics at a-level then you'll have no problem doing it at university. All subjects will enhance your knowledge and earn you new skills, so just pick the A-levels that are most appropriate to your needs.

If you want to be a doctor, architect, lawyer, politician then I doubt you'd bother studying media or psychology anyway...

Its just common sense folks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    This really is stupid, and its absurdity like this that forces people to abandon their favourite subjects.

Study what you enjoy, and in an area you feel you would like to enhance your knowledge base.
    If you study sociology or politics at a-level then you'll have no problem doing it at university. All subjects will enhance your knowledge and earn you new skills, so just pick the A-levels that are most appropriate to your needs.

If you want to be a doctor, architect, lawyer, politician then I doubt you'd bother studying media or psychology anyway...

Its just common sense folks.
    yes but what about students who read comments like those given in this forum and believe that their subjects are equal to traditional subjects, go and do their as's - being their ucas only to be informed that they should have done subjects like maths, physics etc. They still happy they studied them now??

Lets face it, a lot of schools dont have a clue when it comes down to careers/university information/guidance. I wish i had been on TSR a lot sooner than when i did and i wouldnt have made the same mistake that i did. It is fact that many people are going to be disappointed when they realise that their subjects are not favoured.

ReputationRep:
    yes but what about students who read comments like those given in this forum and believe that their subjects are equal to traditional subjects, go and do their as's - being their ucas only to be informed that they should have done subjects like maths, physics etc. They still happy they studied them now??

Lets face it, a lot of schools dont have a clue when it comes down to careers/university information/guidance. I wish i had been on TSR a lot sooner than when i did and i wouldnt have made the same mistake that i did. It is fact that many people are going to be disappointed when they realise that their subjects are not favoured.
    As I said, their subjects will be favoured if they are relevant to the course. As pathetic as many people think media studies is, i'm sure it would be very useful if you are appling for a media course at uni...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I do DT. It's not useless, but it is easy. I've taken it because its useful for my career ideas, therefore making it quite an important option, but you dont need it to get into architcture, art is prefered.
    Ah, my friend is going for architecture with product design, art, biology, maths and AS physics. I just assumed product design would be really useful for that career as that is what he wants to do.

ReputationRep:
    why did you neg rep me you ****?! Couldnt even have the balls to leave your name!
    I'm sorry, but I have nothing constructive to contribute to this thread at the moment - I'm currently trying to suppress an outbreak of hysterical laughter before it engulfs my entire body. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

i completely agree with you. ultimately, you're at college to get your a-levels to help you in your chosen career and if you have fun along the way then yay. i really dont understand why people choose to do stuff like photography and media studies - its such a waste of time. if you're not the academic sort then you shouldn't be doing a-levels anyway and if you are the academic sort, then you should be doing academic subjects. simple as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by what_a_shambles)
    Traditional...no questions about it, been on university 'curriculums' since the 16th century and earlier!
    the subject itself is traditional, however it being an a-level subject is relatively new, so i'm afraid you're wrong on that one.

--------------

(Original post by Excalibur)
    I think Politics is considered as a relatively new A Level and it's not in the traditional subjects, but I've never heard that it's a mickey mouse A level.
    politics is an a-level for children - you don't have to have any essay technique for it, all you need to do is write down as much as you can remember - it's like learning vocab!

--------------

(Original post by (Owen)123)
    Geography is traditional in that it was really becoming popular (as a "gentlemans hobbie") around the 19th Century. Sciences were also originally "mickey mouse" as they were not seen as acceptable subjects for a gentleman.

The oldest subject is theology in British universities. Do you mean the A-level "philosophy" or "religious studies" (which contains 50% philosophy/50% religion and ethics)? Philosophy however has been worldwide a very very well grounded subject - the Greek philosophers all had their own schools and Aristotle tutored Alexander of Macedon so its always been taught!

The "blacklist" is very unfair - no subject is easy and its annoying to have done a subject for two years during sixth form to be told it isnt worth the paper the result is printed on.

I woulden't take a subject just for how traditional or new it is. Take it because you enjoy it!
    yes, philosophy is a very ancient subject - no doubt about it. but, if you'd read the title of the thread properly, then it talks of 'new a-level subjects'!

ReputationRep:
    Just let people study what they want to! I wanted to study health and social care so that's what I'm doing and it's doing a very good job of getting me interviews for nursing - it hasn't let me down at all. You will probably say that it's "micky mouse" but it's a hell of a lot of work and you can't get anway with writing any old rubbish in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Just let people study what they want to! I wanted to study health and social care so that's what I'm doing and it's doing a very good job of getting me interviews for nursing - it hasn't let me down at all. You will probably say that it's "micky mouse" but it's a hell of a lot of work and you can't get anway with writing any old rubbish in the exams.
    you're completely missing the point of the thread - it's about NEW a-level subjects! and discussing which ones are considered traditional in the fact that they were probably on the original a-level syllabus back in the day, and which are new, ie have have been added in recent years. i'm guessing that health and social care have been added recently (if they're actually a-levels - i've never heard of them before myself). noone's saying do subjects you don't want to do, but they are saying that do subjects that will hopefully be able to lead you onto what you want to apply for at university! if you're enjoying it, and they're going to get you where you want to go, then that's fine - good for you, but the fact that some teachers couldn't care less where their students end up after they leave the school means that a lot of people don't get a much help whilst trying to decide a-level subjects that would help them on their future academic careers.

ReputationRep:
    politics is an a-level for children - you don't have to have any essay technique for it, all you need to do is write down as much as you can remember - it's like learning vocab!
    I'm sick of stuck-up people like you over here. Have you ever done Politcs? If you felt it was easy then fine. However do not go around saying things are "easy" and for "children" when subjects are much more harder than you think! There's History you have to revise, there's English and even some philosophy. Learning "vocab" would be much easier (And I should know, I do GCSE/AS Japanese) The basic fundemental rule you have to do in Politics exam is that you have to write an answer in essay form that are worth around 30 marks in Half and hour and explaining and analysing your points. How dare you call it "a-level for children" People like you make me sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_Jenkins)
    I'm sick of stuck-up people like you over here. Have you ever done Politcs? If you felt it was easy then fine. However do not go around saying things are "easy" and for "children" when subjects are much more harder than you think! There's History you have to revise, there's English and even some philosophy. Learning "vocab" would be much easier (And I should know, I do GCSE/AS Japanese) The basic fundemental rule you have to do in Politics exam is that you have to write an answer in essay form that are worth around 30 marks in Half and hour and explaining and analysing your points. How dare you call it "a-level for children" People like you make me sick.
    that's a bit harsh. it's no different from the psychology a-level i did in the fact that they don't really care about your essay skills, but the fact that the more points you can remember, the more marks you'll get - simple as that. i did a few weeks of politics actually at the start of my lower sixth, and found that there wasn't any real need for technique, so yes, i do know something about it because i have tried it out. i didn't find it particularly intersting, and hence i dropped it before the end of my first term.

you've got to agree that there isn't really a need for essay writing technique with politics - you could just write down bullet points if you're running out of time, and still get a decent mark if you've learnt the material well - that's what some of my friends did. so, i think you may owe me an apology, because i do know something about politics (having tried it myself), and it is a lot easier than some of the other subjects i did (double maths, chem, physics, history, psychology and GS).

edit: sorry to the OP for going off the theme of the thread!

edit 2: i think i may have been a little unnecessarily harsh in my comments, but i still believe that from what politics i did that it (and psychology) seemed to be the easiest of my a-level choices (obviously i'm excluding GS).

ReputationRep:
    that's a bit harsh. it's no different from the psychology a-level i did in the fact that they don't really care about your essay skills, but the fact that the more points you can remember, the more marks you'll get - simple as that. i did a few weeks of politics actually at the start of my lower sixth, and found that there wasn't any real need for technique, so yes, i do know something about it because i have tried it out. i didn't find it particularly intersting, and hence i dropped it before the end of my first term.

you've got to agree that there isn't really a need for essay writing technique with politics - you could just write down bullet points if you're running out of time, and still get a decent mark if you've learnt the material well - that's what some of my friends did. so, i think you may owe me an apology, because i do know something about politics (having tried it myself), and it is a lot easier than some of the other subjects i did (double maths, chem, physics, history, psychology and GS).
    No I don't owe you an aplology. Trying something for a few weeks doesn't make you one to Judge the subject. And yes they do care about your Essay skills. Bullet points don't cut it when it comes to Politics Exam nor does splurting out facts either. Frankly, I find History and Chemistry easy subjects to do (That's why I'm doing one of them Fast Track next year) but I don't go around saying it's "children" A level. You bearly stayed a term in Politics yet here you are claiming it's easy when it isn't. The A2 (as others have told me) is much Harder and could be compared with History.

P.S- Saying it's no different from psychology is so ridiculous I'm not even going to reply to that comment.

ReputationRep:
    For the record, A-Level Government & Politics is a perfectly respectable qualification. Admittedly the AS-Level is a joke, but that in no way bears any reflection on the A2 syllabus, which is substantially harder and, at the very least, comparable to Philosophy or History in terms of conceptual complexity.

ReputationRep:
    Why cant people leave their sig if they're going to neg rep me, is it for they fear they cannot exchange views on a forum so they have to sneak and try to neg rep me???

Come on here and make your views heard, not my neg repping me. How pathetic!

ReputationRep:
    I didnt neg rep you! And can i just say that calling me a "****" was petty pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawHopeful)
    I didnt neg rep you! And can i just say that calling me a "****" was petty pathetic.
    Hear hear! Futureaussiecto, if you're going to come out with offensive, narrow-minded views like yours, you have to expect a bit of backlash, although I agree it is really annoying when people neg rep without leaving a reason.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.