Turn on thread page Beta

Do Schools Compensate for Society? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, yeah I'd like your opinions please. Do schools try and compensate for external social factors such as class, race and gender?

I think they might try but cannot. As a whole boys always do worse than girls in an academic setting, this may be due to the fact that teaching is a female dominated profession or maybe its because males tend to need active learning and this isn't always possible.

Class - I don't think schools can compensate for this. Usually bad schools that have overworked teachers and crap facilities are in deprived areas, therefore children will not get the same learning experience as middle class children.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this issue! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone??

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by compensate for race?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    What do you mean by compensate for race?
    I have do this for an assignment and that is one of the issues we have to talk about.

I guess its referring to the fact that a lot of ethnic minorities are on the poverty line and some children may have to learn English as a second language in school and therefore will not get the same learning opportunities as children that speak English at home. Race is maybe the wrong term to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebbyxx)
    So, yeah I'd like your opinions please. Do schools try and compensate for external social factors such as class, race and gender?

I think they might try but cannot. As a whole boys always do worse than girls in an academic setting, this may be due to the fact that teaching is a female dominated profession or maybe its because males tend to need active learning and this isn't always possible.

Class - I don't think schools can compensate for this. Usually bad schools that have overworked teachers and crap facilities are in deprived areas, therefore children will not get the same learning experience as middle class children.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this issue! Thanks

Check your facts bro. Males generally dominate when it comes to achieving highest. Just because women tend to be more average doesn't mean 'HURRR DURR ALL GUIES IS STUPID'. That and, you know, this obviously has very little to do with the gender of teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebbyxx)
    I have do this for an assignment and that is one of the issues we have to talk about.

I guess its referring to the fact that a lot of ethnic minorities are on the poverty line and some children may have to learn English as a second language in school and therefore will not get the same learning opportunities as children that speak English at home. Race is maybe the wrong term to use.
    Well, I suppose all that can be done is for the student to try hard and learn english.
    There isn't really anything that schools can do for them.
    Also, as long as the parents work and pay their taxes, they're able to claim for benefits which help fund their childs schooling.

It can't really be expected that schools hire staff to teach subjects in foreign languages so that the student has an "equal opportunity".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Check your facts bro. Males generally dominate when it comes to achieving highest. Just because women tend to be more average doesn't mean 'HURRR DURR ALL GUIES IS STUPID'. That and, you know, this obviously has very little to do with the gender of teachers.
    It is generally known that in schools boys there is a wide gap in achievement between boys and girls.

"63.4 percent of girls and 53.8 percent of boys achieved 5+ A*-C GCSEs or equivalent in 2006"

ReputationRep:
    I work in a school where the ethnic make up is 40% white British 40% black (British, African and Caribbean) and 20% other.

6 years ago their Pakistani and Black British boys were underachieving so they got EMA grants (ethnic minority achievement) and did loads of work to raise achievement. Two years later it was their white British boys that were underachieving and now it's their white British girls underachieving.

Schools in bad areas often have good facilities because they qualify for all sorts of grants but there isn't much parental support as regards behavior, attendance and doing homework.

ReputationRep:
    You've mentioned a misconception that 'deprived' areas have bad schools, althouh I suppose you're talking VERY bad.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but Oxfordshire has its reputation depends ENTIRELY on its university. It's got a top uni, why waste time on its hospitals, secondary schools and shopping centres?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.