Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone used MAC make up?

My best friend swears by it, but it looks really expensive. I was just wondering if it was really worth the cost.

ReputationRep:
    definitely worth the cost!
    find most expesnsive cosmetics are. tend to last wayyy longer than cheap ones too

ReputationRep:
    Use Victoria Jackson

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is worth the cost. And compared to some make-up brands it is not that expensive.

The products last for ages and they have a huge range of colours/shades/tones.

If your not sure about it, i would suggest going to one of the MAC stores and asking them to try out some of the products on your skin. The shop assistants are always super helpful and they'll know which products are best for what your looking for/your skin type.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Love the above post hahaha (I mean the victoria jackson one).

But seriously MAC is worth it for SOME things. The eyeshadows are GREAT, but Urban Decay comes close. They're about the same price for singles but Urban Decay sells Palette's for much cheaper than MAC does. MAC foundation is not that expensive at about £20 - £25 depending on which one but I'd rather pay an extra £5 and go for Laura Mercier or Dior. If you're looking for something the same price as MAC I'd go for Estee Lauder for skin. MAC's concealers are really good and their eyeliners/paint pots/lipliners/lipsticks are great. MAC is not that expensive at all when you compare it to other high end lines.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah MAC is definitely worth the price, I personally think it's reasonable; it isn't too expensive and you get what you pay for. You pay more for brands such as YSL and I don't think they add any value.

ReputationRep:
    I use mac eyeshadows, lipsticks, lip liners, paint pots and strobe cream moisturiser. Not a fan of their foundations I find they're too orange for my skin but SOME concealers are good, mascaras definitely don't like, lipglosses are awesome. But for primer, foundation, powder etc I go for Laura Mercier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Use Victoria Jackson
    Two men tried to sell me Victoria Jackson at Whsmith, they seemed desperate to make a sale, I told them I'd rather stick to what I know best.

ReputationRep:
    Its expensive for a reason, its good quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    Two men tried to sell me Victoria Jackson at Whsmith, they seemed desperate to make a sale, I told them I'd rather stick to what I know best.
    Yeah I used to work for the marketing company, she's reputable in America. She actually used to work along-side Bobby Brown and Mac, but she launched her own brand because she's gone more mineral based

Might seem like a scam but it's not, it's just a marketing technique used to get her more recognised in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I used to work for the marketing company, she's reputable in America. She actually used to work along-side Bobby Brown and Mac, but she launched her own brand because she's gone more mineral based

Might seem like a scam but it's not, it's just a marketing technique used to get her more recognised in the uk.
    Yeah, I just googled her and I'm reading good stuff about her make up.

I take it you were part of the sales teams? The hard sell has never really done it for me that's why I didn't buy any of her stuff. I went and bought MAC the next day.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just googled her and I'm reading good stuff about her make up.

I take it you were part of the sales teams? The hard sell has never really done it for me that's why I didn't buy any of her stuff. I went and bought MAC the next day.
    Yeah I was part of the sales team, I reckon if I pitched you the product I could have got you impulsed and you would have brought it :P

Each to their own I guess, I know ladies tend to find something they like and stick to it

ReputationRep:
    http://www.handbag.com/community/for.../778152?page=2

Victoria Jackson, mixed reviews, I'll stick with my initial instincts.

ReputationRep:
    They are indeed very good. I just love the brushes and the liquid eyeliner. Not a fan of their foundation though. You should also try Lancome cosmetics

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was part of the sales team, I reckon if I pitched you the product I could have got you impulsed and you would have brought it :P

Each to their own I guess, I know ladies tend to find something they like and stick to it
    They have an odd marketing strategy. They think young attractive straight boys are going to make the sales but when I go shopping for make up I prefer to go to a proper department store like selfridges or harvey nics and have pretty girls or gay men do my make up so that I can be certain of the product I'm buying.

ReputationRep:
    i had mac penultimate eye liner and wasn't wild about it tbh, i found bourjois eyeliner better- and cheaper.
    not sure about their other products though

ReputationRep:
    They have an odd marketing strategy. They think young attractive straight boys are going to make the sales but when I go shopping for make up I prefer to go to a proper department store like selfridges or harvey nics and have pretty girls or gay men do my make up so that I can be certain of the product I'm buying.
    We generated just over 3,000,000 pounds worth of sales in 2 years of launching...

We have about 14 guys on our team and on average we sell about 10 sets per day.

That's 140 per day....

140*356 = 49 840

49,840 * £20 ( cost of each set ) = 990,000 ~

That's with 14 guys, we had had more than 30 going out sometimes. There's money to be made, people buy

If people never bought we wouldn't do it :P

ReputationRep:
    I have to say I use a lot of MAC - I find it's better if you use good primers (I use GOSH for that but i have used several others just as good...gosh is cheaper though haha) especially for their eyeshadows but definitely worth the money. All makeup works best with a good primer

I wore their foundation for 3 years up until discovering Illamasqua and never really had a problem with it, i just preferred the illamasqua finish.

As for Victoria Jackson...I do quite like their stuff, very reasonably priced given the quality. Wasnt wild on the black gel liner as i felt it faded easier than my MAC penultimate liner but the brown liner was lovely, as were the shadows.

ReputationRep:
    Victoria Jackson do have an amazing sales strategy...I ended up buying a load of stuff (pretty much never used) purely because the crazily-eager woman placed it in my hands acting like it was free then dropping the price bombshell. I'm bad for impulse-buys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darcie97)
    Has anyone used MAC make up?

My best friend swears by it, but it looks really expensive. I was just wondering if it was really worth the cost.
    Absolutely, I wear the foundation everyday and it lasts about 5 months, it's definitely worth the price that and the lipstick, love it

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.