Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, for next year I've chosen:

Column A: Adv. Higher Physics
    Column B: Higher RMPS(-.-)
    Column C: Higher Graphic Communication
    Column D: Free
    Column E: (Crash) Higher Chemistry

Now, since I'm thinking about doing engineering at uni, I don't think RMPS will be much help. But Adv Higher Maths is in the same column as RMPS, but I do not need this for uni and well, honestly, I don't really want to do it because then I'll be under too much pressure.

These are really the only two options in Column B, and my school wants us to do 4 subjects. Is RMPS relatively easy and will it give me an easier time?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    My school had that same policy last year when I had to choose my subjects. I'm not sure about RMPS, but Advanced Maths isn't all too bad if you revise all your stuff as you go along, and don't leave it to the last minute (I found I did less work for Adv Higher than the actual Higher).

Good luck (I did 4 Adv Highers this year )

ReputationRep:
    H Maths
    H English
    H French
    H Spanish
    H Business Mgt

Cant wait, just hope I get into the Higher courses as my exams this year from what I can tell havent gone to plan, still just have to wait and see in August and in the meantime hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    Now, since I'm thinking about doing engineering at uni, I don't think RMPS will be much help. But Adv Higher Maths is in the same column as RMPS, but I do not need this for uni and well, honestly, I don't really want to do it because then I'll be under too much pressure.
    i would highly recommend taking advanced higher maths, makes first year university maths much easier going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    Hey everyone, for next year I've chosen:

Column A: Adv. Higher Physics
    Column B: Higher RMPS(-.-)
    Column C: Higher Graphic Communication
    Column D: Free
    Column E: (Crash) Higher Chemistry

These are really the only two options in Column B, and my school wants us to do 4 subjects. Is RMPS relatively easy and will it give me an easier time?

Thanks.
    I think you will find adv Maths useful at uni. Though it might not be a condition for you to get in, the first year of engineering has a lot of Adv Maths content which will be much more straightforward for you if you have done some before

ReputationRep:
    H English
    H Mod studies
    H Accounting and Fin
    H Computing
    Int 2 Maths

ReputationRep:
    Higher English
    Higher Maths
    Advanced Drama
    Advanced History (Twilight course - causing a fuss to get it)
    Higher Modern Studies
    Higher Admin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I'm guessing you're one of, if not the brightest in the year then?
    He's on TSR :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Do AH Maths.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't do AH Maths and AH Physics at the same time, don't take engineering. Its very mathsy. (As it is with most of the sciences) Besides, taking AH Maths will be invaluable for uni, so take it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I made my 6th year course choice in March and chose:

• Adv Modern
    • Adv Geography
    • Higher Art
    • Higher History

However, I am not happy with these choices and want to change. I want to get into uni, hopefully Edinburgh (don't know what subject yet but most likley an MA degree). I have a few questions regarding choices and was looking for some opinions/advice:

1. Should I take more/less Advanced Highers, what do Universities like Edinburgh want? I thought that if get As in my highers then isnt Adv just a waste of time?

2. I was considering picking up Higher Business Management as a crash, has anybody done this - is it a good idea?

Or if anybody has some general advice on 6th year choices, I would seriously appreciate it

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    1. For Edinburgh, and Scottish universities in general, Advanced Highers are not required for entry. They are beneficial as you enter the course with a greater level of understanding, they sometimes allow you to enter in 2nd year of the course, and they can compensate for inadequate results at Higher, but they're never (to my knowledge) an actual entrance requirement. Check around the courses you're interested in and look for "Advanced Higher in ~~~~~ recommended/useful/preferred".

2. My matey is doing crash Business Management at the moment (or rather, did do it last year) and found it completely fine. He's not insanely clever or anything like that, but he still found it really quite simple and enjoyable. If it's anything like crashing Admin it should be a gay old time.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics [H]
    English [H]
    Physics [H]
    RMPS [H] [Crash]
    Sociology [H] [Crash]

Just awaiting the trainwreck in about a year's time.

ReputationRep:
    Take whatever will be most likely to result in achievement if you need one of them for Uni. If you don't actually need a reward in one of them for Uni then apparently AH Maths will be best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Not only will AH Maths help you with the Engineering, but during S6 it will also help a lot with the AH Physics. I didn't take AH Physics (only Higher), but from what I've seen of it from friends, it has quite a lot of calculus that is beyond Higher maths.

ReputationRep:
    H Human Biology
    H Chemistry
    H Maths
    H English
    H French

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tragicmagic)
    I made my 6th year course choice in March and chose:

• Adv Modern
    • Adv Geography
    • Higher Art
    • Higher History

However, I am not happy with these choices and want to change. I want to get into uni, hopefully Edinburgh (don't know what subject yet but most likley an MA degree). I have a few questions regarding choices and was looking for some opinions/advice:

1. Should I take more/less Advanced Highers, what do Universities like Edinburgh want? I thought that if get As in my highers then isnt Adv just a waste of time?

2. I was considering picking up Higher Business Management as a crash, has anybody done this - is it a good idea?

Or if anybody has some general advice on 6th year choices, I would seriously appreciate it

Thanks!
    a C in advanced higher is BETTER/higher rated than an A at higher.

So that clears up that part, ( they're not a waste of time )

And also, places like cambridge/oxford require 3 advanced highers usually so if you want to go there! lol.

Haven't done business management so can't offer advice there, but i imagine it can't be too hard. The dumbest of my year can do it..

ReputationRep:
    So far for S6 I'm taking:
    AH English
    AH Modern Studies
    AH Computing
    Crash Higher Business Management

But I'm thinking I'm going to change AH Computing as the general department and teachers at my school are awful. Like, honestly. A year with all that drama is enough for me. Plus the teacher I'd be getting for S6 seems to have taken a dislike for me for no good reason: I enquired about how my prelim was marked as I didn't understand why I hadn't gotten marks for some questions - I was honestly just curious. Asking that in any other subject would have been fine in my school. :rolleyes:

So the question of what to change it to isn't clear. In terms of possibilities:
    AH Physics
    AH Maths
    Crash Higher Chemistry
    Crash Higher History
    Higher Graphics

If anyone could offer advice and perhaps their experiences regarding the above subjects, it would be much appreciated because I'm truly at a loss

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest chashing higher history. You are planning on doing AH modern studies, and higher history is a lot easier than higher modern studies

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.