Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
    I am definitely applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling. I know St Andrews is the uni which is really good for international relations, but i really want the big city life.
    What about England Thats where I'm going in September (it's in my sig).

But you should definitely contact those universities and find out what they think about your opinions and also look at their entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chr1stopher11)
    What about England Thats where I'm going in September (it's in my sig).

But you should definitely contact those universities and find out what they think about your opinions and also look at their entry requirements.
    Hmm tution fees v free tuition I wonder what would win! Otherwise I would be off to England! I have actually thought about applying to uni in canada, but I'm not sure how to go about applying.

ReputationRep:
    Modern Studies is really content-heavy. take it only if you are willing to do that amount of work.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno why but I have the urge to add "6. Profit!!!!" to your list

but yah busman

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've started to choose my options for 6th year and have selected 3 subjects so far. My school wants me to do 4, but I'm doing an advanced higher, a crash higher and another higher. So, if I get pulled up and get told I need another subject, which should I pick? Hopefully, I plan on doing Engineering at Uni, (haven't quite decided which type but I'm thinking civil) so perhaps Adv Higher Maths? Although, I find Higher quite hard (well, not hard but not easy). I also heard that uni's tend to prefer more highers than adv highers, so I've decided I'm definetly doing Adv higher physics if the Higher goes well. But should I do Adv Maths or say, Higher Accounts?

P.S. my current subjects are (All Higher): Maths, English, Music, Computing and Physics.

Thanks
    !

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely AH maths. I know a guy in my year has a conditional for Civil Engineering and a B in AH Maths was included in it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about it though, I only got a C in my higher prelim..... But we've been told that it was a very hard prelim.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    I don't know about it though, I only got a C in my higher prelim..... But we've been told that it was a very hard prelim.....
    Don't worry! Plenty of people improve after their prelim - especially in Maths, I've found. Just put a bit more work in and practice a lot and I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    I'd echo this and say Maths. I also know someone witha conditional offer in engineering (though his offer just requires him to sit it, I think.) It'll also really help once you get to uni.
    And don't worry about that C - last year I got 51% in the prelim, and then an A band 1 in the final exam. Just do tons of past paper questions and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    What are the 3 subjects you have already picked? Definitely do AH Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely so AH Maths or AH Applied Maths - Mechanics if your school offers it. You'll need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    I would suggest Business Management and then maybe do Modern Studies in 6th year (if you want to stay on)?
    I wouldn't do Economics AND business management. Uni's don't like that. If you are going to do either of them do Economics, Uni's considerably prefer it.

Maths and history are also a very wise choices. Perhaps a science like Physics or Chemistry (where there is a bit of maths) could be useful.

I would suggest geography but not if your taking History and Economics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in fifth year, and currently study higher maths, English, modern studies, French and biology. I am thinking of studying international relations at university. Are my sixth year choices good for this? They are: advanced English, advanced moddies, higher history and higher psychology. Thoughts? Opinions?
    They seem fine. Shame you didn't do history in 5th year, that could have been a good subject to take at AH but Modern Studies should be useful.

Would you consider taking AH french?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    They seem fine. Shame you didn't do history in 5th year, that could have been a good subject to take at AH but Modern Studies should be useful.

Would you consider taking AH french?
    Yeah I know. I didn't do history at standard grade, and I didnt want to crash anything in fifth year, and also it was in the same column as biology, and I wanted to take a science.

Em, not really. I'd be too scared of the speaking exam with he examiner, and I'm not so good at reading. I might scrape an A at higher but I can't do AH.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm tution fees v free tuition I wonder what would win! Otherwise I would be off to England! I have actually thought about applying to uni in canada, but I'm not sure how to go about applying.
    Yeah the tuition fee increase sucks. You might find some information about applying to Canadian universities in the International Study sub-forum on TSR:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=227

I think there are quite a few people apply to Canadian unis there

ReputationRep:
    Seem fine to me!

ReputationRep:
    Modern studies!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah those sound good but beware that psychology has mixed reviews on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    How many Advanced Highers should I do?
    If you're applying to an English university, most require 2 or 3 AH's as standard.
    It really depends on which degree subject you want to do and which university you want to study at. I have received and accepted offers from English universities with my higher predictions alone, for BA Geography. A lot of courses only require highers but if not, it is always 2 or 3 Advanced highers.

If people do want to study at English universities then they should do their own research

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.