Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR09)
    i've taken AH english, chemistry and biology. i'm kind looking forwrd to it, and everyone i've spoken to who has done AH english has said it's brilliant.
    I'd agree with that :yep: Great course, you'll enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    This year i did

H Chem
    H English
    H Geography
    H Maths
    H Physics

Going onto do

AH Chem
    AH Maths
    AH Physics

If i need to repeat any of this year's highers - possibly english, i will drop AH chem and do higher computing instead.

Hoping to do physics or something related at uni

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 3 advanced highers in 6th year: maths, chemistry and physics. Gonna be a fun year

ReputationRep:
    Decided to do AH English, Maths and Computing next year; all being well. I had my heart set on doing English, so I'm glad to hear people say it's a good course! Maths was a filler tbh, and IDEK why I took Computing. The department's not all that great, but I'll finally be free of my current Computing teacher! Three years running of deciphering dodgy notes. -_- Kinda hoping for lots of programming. Lots and lots of programming.

ReputationRep:
    Looking for advice from anyone who possibly took either 3 AH's and a higher or 4AH's? Is this kind of workload manageable, as i don't want to drop Maths, Physics, Chemistry or History .

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it is but I just wanted to check with people, if the entry requirements are put at 4 B's and you get 3 A's and a C is that seen as ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darrenh800)
    I'm pretty sure it is but I just wanted to check with people, if the entry requirements are put at 4 B's and you get 3 A's and a C is that seen as ok?
    This depends on the university: there is no universal conversion table. However, the answer is very probably, yes. Email and ask.

ReputationRep:
    should I pick AH business management i saw somewhere that only about 2% of people got an A in 2007 and 90% of people failed

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on to do AH biology and chemistry — really looking forward to the latter, but my biology teacher to be has... well, a terrible reputation, in every respect. bUT ILL WORK HARD

Taking Higher history as well, I hope it's grand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal1994)
    Looking for advice from anyone who possibly took either 3 AH's and a higher or 4AH's? Is this kind of workload manageable, as i don't want to drop Maths, Physics, Chemistry or History .
    Yes, it's perfectly manageable! I took 3 AHs this year - one of which was a crash advanced higher - and crash higher Spanish. I am predicted an A for all them apart from English, but hopefully having improved my dissertation and revised I will have earnt an A in the final. You won't be short of work, for sure, although occasionally you may have to pass on going out. Quite a few of my friends started off like this - a few ended up dropping a subject if they received unconditionals.

That said, all of my subjects were essay based (and no, writing three dissertations wasn't too painful despite English's best efforts); you may find sciences have a heavier workload. The only of your subjects I took was History - it's not a skive by any means and there is quite a lot to remember but it's really interesting. It's so much better than higher as there's less reliance on essay plans and rote learning.

4 AHs is tough, but certainly doable - a couple of my friends did this. One ended up dropping a subject and the others found it quite stressful (I think.)

Good luck with your highers

ReputationRep:
    This year I did 5 highers: English, French, Spanish (crash), Modern Studies (crash) and History.

Next year I'm taking AH Spanish, French, and hopefully M.S (but my school doesn't always run it so if not AH English), plus the Languages Baccalaureate which means I get a school-funded trip to Paris. Yippeeeee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan0141)
    should I pick AH business management i saw somewhere that only about 2% of people got an A in 2007 and 90% of people failed
    This seems like a little bit of an insane statistic to me, but I think if you want to do it, just go for it! If it's a subject you need/think you'll like, there's not much to lose, and the course might have been very new in 2007. Teachers and the SQA will have had a few years to develop the course out, so hopefully it should be manageable. No one wants stats like that.

That said, I know nothing about Business Management, so I could be talking rubbish. xD

ReputationRep:
    What subjects are you planning on taking next year?

ReputationRep:
    H English
    H Graphics
    H Business
    H Admin(a maybe) Depends if i can be bothered doing that much highers D:

ReputationRep:
    AH Maths
    AH Physics
    AH Applied Maths: Mechanics (request still pending with school).

I'll have a lot of free periods so I'll try get the bulk of my homework and revision done in school.

ReputationRep:
    AH Maths
    AH Applied Maths: Mechanics
    AH Physics
    AH German

Oh my god... What have I let myself in for?

ReputationRep:
    AH Maths
    AH Biology
    AH Chemistry
    AH Physics

I'm actually looking forward to doing these subjects (I'm a massive geek :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akalasa)
    AH Maths
    AH Biology
    AH Chemistry
    AH Physics

I'm actually looking forward to doing these subjects (I'm a massive geek :P)
    Have fun with all of those investigations

ReputationRep:
    H Modern Studies
    H History
    H English
    H Maths
    H Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legion99)
    Have fun with all of those investigations
    yeah, that's my biggest worry :P
    I'm just going to try and get them started and done with as soon as possible and hope it all works out okay

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.