Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon or delete please, people I know use this and they don't know the situ.

I have been best friends with a girl for a few years now, and we are both leaving university in a few months to go into the real world.

About a month ago, she told me she had feelings for me. Now, I have feelings for her too but she said she wants to stay friends because of university exams and moving away after university.

I want a relationship though, and I want to show her it can work. Only problem is our friendship is also a bit awkward at the moment - she says she wants to be friends but has told people we like each other so it is confusing me. The awkwardness isn't on my part.

Do you guys think I should simply accept that we won't be together, or what?

ReputationRep:
    Talk to her and explain that you will try to make things work (if you really like her and so does she). She may accept it. It doesn't matter if she's going away, you can still meet each other sometimes can't you? at least talk to her otherwise you might regret it later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please, people I know use this and they don't know the situ.

I have been best friends with a girl for a few years now, and we are both leaving university in a few months to go into the real world.

About a month ago, she told me she had feelings for me. Now, I have feelings for her too but she said she wants to stay friends because of university exams and moving away after university.

I want a relationship though, and I want to show her it can work. Only problem is our friendship is also a bit awkward at the moment - she says she wants to be friends but has told people we like each other so it is confusing me. The awkwardness isn't on my part.

Do you guys think I should simply accept that we won't be together, or what?
    I really don't hink that you should just accept that you won't be together... if you really do both have feelings for each other, then why not do something about it....? The one thing I can promise you is that if you don't do something about it, you will both return to your hometowns and get on with your lives, and you will always have that nagging feeling of "what if"....

We had a chat about it not long ago, she said because of uni etc she just wanted to be friends for now.
    Problem is that its awkward now! We both know we have feelings for each other but I think she's afraid it won't work and she'll end up getting hurt, I want to show her that she won't get hurt I just don't know how!

ReputationRep:
    Im in a very similar situation OP, very similar. She's like a month or two out of a relationship, and in that period we've grown quite close, to the point that our friends are becoming ver suggestive when we are together. We've talked about how people are very suggestive about us, without actually touching on the subject of 'us'. I know her friends have been saying we should go out, but I just don't want to ruin what is a brilliant friendship. Im hoping to pluck up some dutch courage and do the deed sometime soon though, I would rather regret for a lack of want than a lack of trying.

thing is though, its -her- that wants to stay just friends. I don't! I know we could have a very good relationship but I don't know whether I should just accept her decision, or try to show her otherwise.
    Or even how to show her otherwise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.