Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salazar)
    Oh yes

I found IT to be a very unique case. Instead of learning new things you'd instead have to 'prove' what you already knew by working non-stop by yourself in the lessons. I didn't even manage to finish my work in the lessons and had to do sessions after school, at lunchtime and even one day at half-term. I got 3 distinctions at the end of it all, and despite on paper achieving more than I did with my relatively sub-par C in French, I found French much more rewarding.
    This is exactly me. I'm struggling to finish it all in time, and I've had to go up at lunch. Thing is, I don't think top Unis and Sixth forms even acknowledge it as a qualification. And it was compulsory at my school.

ReputationRep:
    English? Really?
    (Original post by Kareir)
    I said that. But not to the depth that makes it properly interesting.

_Kar.
    What depth would you say that is? Just curious, because I think if you can hack it, you can go into a lot of depth on coursework/hw essays etc. Maybe not to the extent of looking at what certain critics say/crit theory/contextual knowledge of lit movements or other texts, but on a pure analysis of the language front.

I'd definitely second OCR Nationals ICT. Do they really need a hundred goddamn screenshots of things I can't even remember ever not being able to do?

ReputationRep:
    Astrology - SOOO BORING!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recurring500)
    I think it's got to be English...
    What do you think?
    English GCSE is good! The A Level is horrid though

ReputationRep:
    French tbh. But that is definitely for very subjective reasons, I think.
    I just don't understand how you can teach people who, are beyond the prime developmental age for learning a language, a language. It seems the same to me as teaching maths by giving out sheets of random sums.
    But then again, some people seemed to have done fine and have a decent vocab.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    French tbh. But that is definitely for very subjective reasons, I think.
    I just don't understand how you can teach people who, are beyond the prime developmental age for learning a language, a language. It seems the same to me as teaching maths by giving out sheets of random sums.
    But then again, some people seemed to have done fine and have a decent vocab.
    EMZ=]
    It's even worse when you have some old English man who somehow managed to get a french degree despite not knowing simple French words like 'sometimes'.

It can be enjoyable though, I like watching French films!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)

What depth would you say that is? Just curious, because I think if you can hack it, you can go into a lot of depth on coursework/hw essays etc. Maybe not to the extent of looking at what certain critics say/crit theory/contextual knowledge of lit movements or other texts, but on a pure analysis of the language front.
    I was really referring to class, and the studying of texts there. Obviously if you're good at english, you can go into lots of depth on your own, in essays and such. But if lots of students arn't as good at english, you have to sit through a lot of fun explanations like 'what is a metaphor?'

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
    Astrology - SOOO BORING!
    There's an astrology GCSE!?

And I found RE by far the most boring.

ReputationRep:
    GRAPHICS

I spent 2 years doing f*** all. Sometimes it felt like time had actually stopped. Obviously it was mostly down to our teacher than the subject itself. I hated doing the coursework. This may sound really pretentious but its the only subject I got a B in (all my other grades were A/A*)

ReputationRep:
    Physics, Biology, English, Geography...actually everything with the exception of Art, Maths and Chemistry (imo)

ReputationRep:
    I was really referring to class, and the studying of texts there. Obviously if you're good at english, you can go into lots of depth on your own, in essays and such. But if lots of students arn't as good at english, you have to sit through a lot of fun explanations like 'what is a metaphor?'

_Kar.
    Okay, yeah that's probably true. Though it does somewhat depend on the class I think. If anyone asked what a metaphor was in one of my lessons, I think the teacher would kick them out fast :ninja:

ReputationRep:

_Kar.
    God yeah that rings some bells... But I still enjoyed it and I love English at AS/A2.

ReputationRep:
    CCW most pointless **** in the world wasting 2 hrs of my gcse life every week

ICT take a print screen of this ! Show that you can you use a USB :facepalm: It was so long and boring!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    It's even worse when you have some old English man who somehow managed to get a french degree despite not knowing simple French words like 'sometimes'.

It can be enjoyable though, I like watching French films!
    Yeah, my teacher's good and has stayed behind to help me, it just doesn't go in. It sucks because with all my other subjects I feel pretty confident but with French I just always feel so lost.
    I've only watched a couple of French films(it's going to sound pretty lazy, but I generally do something else while watching a film[i.e read articles], so subtitles are a pain 'cause they require full attention), but they all seemed to be pretty good, relative to the average American film anyways.
    EMZ=]
    EDIT: Ohhh, I'm guessing it's fun because you *don't* need subtitles... LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Graphics. By a long bloody way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Yeah, my teacher's good and has stayed behind to help me, it just doesn't go in. It sucks because with all my other subjects I feel pretty confident but with French I just always feel so lost.
    I've only watched a couple of French films(it's going to sound pretty lazy, but I generally do something else while watching a film[i.e read articles], so subtitles are a pain 'cause they require full attention), but they all seemed to be pretty good, relative to the average American film anyways.
    EMZ=]
    EDIT: Ohhh, I'm guessing it's fun because you *don't* need subtitles... LOL.
    No - I definitely need subtitles! Especially how fast they speak. I'm only at an A* GCSE level French! I don't mid watching subtitles, I just switch my eyes up and down I watched Jean de Florette, Manon de sources, La Haine, Les Choristes. All really good

I've started revising French for my test, just learning the vocab that always seems to come up and then doing some past papers. I'm not brilliant, but It's doable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    No - I definitely need subtitles! Especially how fast they speak. I'm only at an A* GCSE level French! I don't mid watching subtitles, I just switch my eyes up and down I watched Jean de Florette, Manon de sources, La Haine, Les Choristes. All really good

I've started revising French for my test, just learning the vocab that always seems to come up and then doing some past papers. I'm not brilliant, but It's doable
    Oh, well, I'm at like, a borderline C/D GCSE level French so I wouldn't really know LOL. And yeah, I guess, still, it's a bit of a pain trying to read an article or talk to someone on MSN while reading subtitles, haha. I tend to always end up pausing them because I get too absorbed in what else I'm doing.
    I should probably do that too, I just don't know where to begin. I was talking to my teacher about it and she recommended revising the KS3 stuff and then just figuring from context what the question's on about, before revising the actual vocab.
    I really regret not putting any effort in with French tbh. Because I didn't bother in Years 7-9 because I didn't think I had to take it at GCSE, and at the start of Year 10 I just decided I'd fail it rather than try and catch up on 3 years worth of work. And now I've actually decided that it'd be nice to pass all of my GCSEs(Graphics and French I'm C/D, where as all the others it's at least a B) since I'm looking now at predominantly As/A*s, and it'll just look lazy if I have a random D or whatever.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Physics.

Put it this way: when people (read: every girl in my year group) were doing their memory books at the end of year 11, one girl from my physics class asked me to pretend to be asleep for a photo, because that's how she remembered me in the lessons.

(Original post by Ears)

My french teacher doesn't help any of us "Help yourself" :gah:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.