Turn on thread page Beta

Labour, Conservatives and Liberal Democrats have on thing in common... watch

ReputationRep:
    ...they're are lying b*******!!!

All we've seen over the past decade is as follows:

Labour - get us into this mess!
    Conservatives - make everyone's lives worst in trying to get us out!
    Liberal Democrats - go against everything they stood for!

I say these main three parties have spent to long dominating parliament and it's time to get some smaller parties in - not the BNP though!!!!

Who agrees?

ReputationRep:
    Labour: "got us into this mess". Actually, this mess is largely the result of a worldwide financial recession, not New Labour's economic policies (which may or may not have been any good, but the point is that the economy was going to go down the drain regardless of who was in power).

Conservatives: "make everyone's lives worse trying to get us out" Economic stagnation leads to a decrease in living standards. Deal with it. The Conservatives have no option but to cut. People automatically lay the blame on the current government for any problem that arises during that government's reign, even if the problem was caused by something entirely out of that government's control, and that really irks me.

Lib Dems: "going against everything they stood for". Why did people have this idea of the Lib Dems as a left wing, strongly anti-Tory party? Nick Clegg is right of centre and was a member of his university's Conservative Society. He never really claimed to be a lefty. Considering the fact that Cameron is fairly left by Conservative standards, the Con-Lib coalition was always going to be more likely than a Lab-Lib one, especially when it was realised that the latter wouldn't have an effective majority in any case. They have backpedalled over the tuition fees issue, admittedly - but parties always backpedal on some policies when they get into power. Unfortunately it's in the nature of our democratic system that parties have to come up with populist policies that will never work in reality (viz. free university tuition), in order to appease the tabloids and public alike. Perhaps they shouldn't do that, but it's the nature of the country at the moment. Anyway, the tuition fee rise is a sound policy in my book, and I will happily debate that point with anyone that begs to differ.

Do you seriously believe that any smaller party would do any better?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by recurring500)
    ...they're are lying b*******!!!

All we've seen over the past decade is as follows:

Labour - get us into this mess!
    Conservatives - make everyone's lives worst in trying to get us out!
    Liberal Democrats - go against everything they stood for!

I say these main three parties have spent to long dominating parliament and it's time to get some smaller parties in - not the BNP though!!!!

Who agrees?
    Smaller parties? Like who?

UkIp is about the only part that is not completely nuts and even then they are at least half crazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Labour: "got us into this mess". Actually, this mess is largely the result of a worldwide financial recession, not New Labour's economic policies (which may or may not have been any good, but the point is that the economy was going to go down the drain regardless of who was in power).

Conservatives: "make everyone's lives worse trying to get us out" Economic stagnation leads to a decrease in living standards. Deal with it. The Conservatives have no option but to cut. People automatically lay the blame on the current government for any problem that arises during that government's reign, even if the problem was caused by something entirely out of that government's control, and that really irks me.

Lib Dems: "going against everything they stood for". Why did people have this idea of the Lib Dems as a left wing, strongly anti-Tory party? Nick Clegg is right of centre and was a member of his university's Conservative Society. He never really claimed to be a lefty. Considering the fact that Cameron is fairly left by Conservative standards, the Con-Lib coalition was always going to be more likely than a Lab-Lib one, especially when it was realised that the latter wouldn't have an effective majority in any case. They have backpedalled over the tuition fees issue, admittedly - but parties always backpedal on some policies when they get into power. Unfortunately it's in the nature of our democratic system that parties have to come up with populist policies that will never work in reality (viz. free university tuition), in order to appease the tabloids and public alike. Perhaps they shouldn't do that, but it's the nature of the country at the moment. Anyway, the tuition fee rise is a sound policy in my book, and I will happily debate that point with anyone that begs to differ.

Do you seriously believe that any smaller party would do any better?
    Firstly, Labour are responsible for the economic problem because they were in government at the time and, therefore, should have had a tighter hold on things - especially the banks!

The Conservatives have cut things that really shouldn't be cut so harshly, for example, education. Despite this the government are still giving millions and millions of pounds in aid to India, even though they have their own space programme - how is that right?

In the 2010 general election Nick Clegg claimed that he wouldn't cut education, but guess what? He has - that's how he his a lier.

Admittedly this isn't a very detailed explanation, but it is clear and honest.

In answer to your question, the UK has very rarely seen some of the small parties in government. Despite this many of the small parties, in my opinion, have some of the best manifestoes and so we should let them prove themselves by giving them a chance. I am by no means saying they will be good - there's no way anyone (not even you) will know until the time comes.

ReputationRep:
    What a refreshingly different take on British politics :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Smaller parties? Like who?

UkIp is about the only part that is not completely nuts and even then they are at least half crazy
    Well I am unsure as to who would do best actually in office, but I do think that smaller parties (UKIP, the Green Party, even Plaid Cymru) should have more of a say as the opposition. Simply because I feel that there are good policies in most of the parties.

Who do you think would do the best job in office, may I ask?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by recurring500)
    Well I am unsure as to who would do best actually in office, but I do think that smaller parties (UKIP, the Green Party, even Plaid Cymru) should have more of a say as the opposition. Simply because I feel that there are good policies in most of the parties.

Who do you think would do the best job in office, may I ask?
    Then maybe they should get elected? This is a democracy you know...

Personally I'd go for the Tories right no. Though Im pissed about the defense cuts and a few of the other cuts. But Labour seems to be living in a fantasy world right now.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.