Turn on thread page Beta

Lincolns Inn Scholarship Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiltedsheep)
    can't remember what panel I was on, but I was interviewed on the Wednesday and got told yesterday at midday. it seems to be fairly random.

was thrilled to get a Denning, though. i always liked him...
    Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats!! Got my email on Monday. . Anyone still waiting?

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who is yet to hear either way?
    I'm not sure whether to contact Judith but didn't want to bother her if other people are waiting too, it just feels like everyone else knows but me lol!

***Apparently I was emailed on Monday but never recieved it, I was unsuccessful - if anyone else is waiting perhaps you should email Judith as perhaps your email hasn't reached you too, she replied to me within 5 minutes ***

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when HSBC are likely to release their loan info. I'm pretty scuppered without a loan...how I wish I had parents with money!

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't get a scholarship (unless you already have pupillage lined up) you must really ask yourself why you were rejected before getting yourself into debt for most likely nothing.

Of course there are reasons why you will be rejected which are not a complete bar to you eventually getting pupillage- eg not totally outstanding and don't need the money HOWEVER one of the biggies behind scholarship awards is prospects of success.

While i do know people who have gone on the get pupillage without scholarships I dont know ANY who were REJECTED (actually rejected as opposed to never applied etc) for scholarships and went on to get pupillage that dont have top alma matters such as Bristol, Edinburgh. If you got rejected for a scholarship and you don't have a very very good CV think many times before embarking on this course. You may also find if your interview was cut short it was because your paper application was of a level where nothing you could have done would have persuaded the panel (looking back i am mortified by my application and some of the things i said when I had put huge amounts of savings down on the application so now know this is why my interview was literally 5 minutes - they had already decided!)

I also know a quite a few students who did get scholarships and would be unlikely to practice so its not always a test of whether you are likely to succeed or not but it is a lot of the time especially when you dont get an award. Look at the web pages of a few sets that have pupil profiles and ask yourself honsestly if you can compete with these people (tooks, 4 paper) before indebting yourself for life.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^
    Of course part of it is down to numbers, there is no use giving up just because you didn't recieve a scholarship - you could have been the next person to recieve one and just missed out, it doesn't mean you are never going to get a pupillage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawstudent100)
    ^^^
    Of course part of it is down to numbers, there is no use giving up just because you didn't recieve a scholarship - you could have been the next person to recieve one and just missed out, it doesn't mean you are never going to get a pupillage
    I largely disagree with this - unless you have the A1 CV i mentioned. But I am several years further on in the process than you and probably would never have listened to this advice myself in the early years.

At the end of the day everyone must make their own choice.

As an aside - and this is not directed at anyone on the thread as I have never met you - in my experience it is those LEAST likely to get pupillage who are MOST convinced they "want it enough" to defy the odds and have their cr*p grades and total lack of relevant experience overlooked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    If you didn't get a scholarship (unless you already have pupillage lined up) you must really ask yourself why you were rejected before getting yourself into debt for most likely nothing.

Of course there are reasons why you will be rejected which are not a complete bar to you eventually getting pupillage- eg not totally outstanding and don't need the money HOWEVER one of the biggies behind scholarship awards is prospects of success.

While i do know people who have gone on the get pupillage without scholarships I dont know ANY who were rejected for scholarships and went on to get pupillage that dont have top alma matters such as Bristol, Edinburgh. If you got rejected for a scholarship and you don't have a very very good CV think many times before embarking on this course. You may also find if your interview was cut short it was because your paper application was of a level where nothing you could have done would have persuaded the panel (looking back i am mortified by my application and some of the things i said when I had put huge amounts of savings down on the application so now know this is why my interview was literally 5 minutes - they had already decided!)

I also know a quite a few students who did get scholarships and would be unlikely to practice so its not always a test of whether you are likely to succeed or not but it is a lot of the time especially when you dont get an award. Look at the web pages of a few sets that have pupil profiles and ask yourself honsestly if you can compete with these people (tooks, 4 paper) before indebting yourself for life.
    Well if you don't try then you will never succeed will you? Contrary to you I don't know anybody that got a scholarship and know plenty with pupillage so there we are. It's a numbers game. Life goes on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaleuk)
    Well if you don't try then you will never succeed will you? Contrary to you I don't know anybody that got a scholarship and know plenty with pupillage so there we are. It's a numbers game. Life goes on!
    Good luck! I think it depends on where you're aiming - without a scholarship you would do well not to set your sights on the top sets. If you have a decent CV and academic record it's not the be all and end all provided you've got something which is going to make you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was a total bar - just told people to be careful - if you have a great CV and don't care about the debt go for it.

You seem very well connected. Having been through the bar course, met lots of people I stayed in touch with at inn functions, FRU other pro bono i only know a handful of people who got pupillage being that there are so few in relation to the people seeking then - for you to know plenty and for many of them to have pupillage after being REJECTED for scholarship means you have great contacts. Good luck.

THanks for the neg rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    I never said it was a total bar - just told people to be careful - if you have a great CV and don't care about the debt go for it.

You seem very well connected. Having been through the bar course, met lots of people I stayed in touch with at inn functions, FRU other pro bono i only know a handful of people who got pupillage being that there are so few in relation to the people seeking then - for you to know plenty and for many of them to have pupillage after being REJECTED for scholarship means you have great contacts. Good luck.

THanks for the neg rep.
    I never said that you said it was a total bar either. Pessimism isn't going to get anybody anywhere though and whilst it's important to be realistic, it's also important to have confidence in yourself and in your abilities.
    The vast majority of people who have got this far know the risks. We all know how expensive the BPTC is and what the statistics show, but somebody has to get pupillage at the end of it, and if you don't take the initial risk doing the BPTC then you don't even give yourself a chance.
    In my opinion (and this is no more than my opinion- I accept that people will disagree for different reasons) if you're not willing to take that risk, then you don't truly have the determination and the dedication necessary for the Bar. I'm not speaking as someone who will be having the BPTC funded by parents either, so please don't think that's an easy risk for me to be suggesting. For me it's a risk I will take because I believe I will succeed and if I don't then it doesn't matter. It's no more a waste of money or time than travelling for a year- either way I'll be gaining new skills or experiences.

ReputationRep:
    I never said that you said it was a total bar either. Pessimism isn't going to get anybody anywhere though and whilst it's important to be realistic, it's also important to have confidence in yourself and in your abilities.
    The vast majority of people who have got this far know the risks. We all know how expensive the BPTC is and what the statistics show, but somebody has to get pupillage at the end of it, and if you don't take the initial risk doing the BPTC then you don't even give yourself a chance.
    In my opinion (and this is no more than my opinion- I accept that people will disagree for different reasons) if you're not willing to take that risk, then you don't truly have the determination and the dedication necessary for the Bar. I'm not speaking as someone who will be having the BPTC funded by parents either, so please don't think that's an easy risk for me to be suggesting. For me it's a risk I will take because I believe I will succeed and if I don't then it doesn't matter. It's no more a waste of money or time than travelling for a year- either way I'll be gaining new skills or experiences.
    Whereas I wish you the best of luck and agree that determination is a necessary, though not sufficient condition for achieving a pupillage, I'd have to disagree that paying for the BPTC and not ending up as a barrister is no more a waste of money than travelling for a year.

No matter what, you will always cherish the memories of such a holiday. I hardly think the same is true for the BPTC.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed - I've not got a scholarship and have decided that unless I either get pupillage this Summer or get enough interviews/positive feedback to suggest that I would be a serious contender in a years time, I wont be doing the BPTC.

I would love for an experienced pupillage committee person to give me ten minutes and either say "You're wasting your time" or "You have a reasonable chance". Unfortunately all the providers seem to lack this frank assessment - there's a lot of "That wont harm your CV" and "You are doing the right things" which is great but I would much prefer a frank and if necessary, brutal, assessment of my chances before I plough £25000 into the next 12 months...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st_files)
    Agreed - I've not got a scholarship and have decided that unless I either get pupillage this Summer or get enough interviews/positive feedback to suggest that I would be a serious contender in a years time, I wont be doing the BPTC.

I would love for an experienced pupillage committee person to give me ten minutes and either say "You're wasting your time" or "You have a reasonable chance". Unfortunately all the providers seem to lack this frank assessment - there's a lot of "That wont harm your CV" and "You are doing the right things" which is great but I would much prefer a frank and if necessary, brutal, assessment of my chances before I plough £25000 into the next 12 months...
    Does your Inn allocate a sponsor to you? I've heard some people having a meeting with their sponsor and being told that they have no chance and not to waste their money. They tend to be pretty honest because it doesn't effect them whichever way you choose. I found sponsor immensely helpful and honest in assessing my chances and what could improve them etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charly533)
    Does your Inn allocate a sponsor to you? I've heard some people having a meeting with their sponsor and being told that they have no chance and not to waste their money. They tend to be pretty honest because it doesn't effect them whichever way you choose. I found sponsor immensely helpful and honest in assessing my chances and what could improve them etc.
    I think so, but IIRC its not til September.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2011
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.