The Student Room Group

Should I firm UCL or IMPERIAL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Go to UCL - you sound like you'd be happier there. I've used the EEE computer room before and well, let's just say it ain't pretty. Imperial EEE is a phenomenal course, and I've got massive respect for anyone who attempts it, let alone gets through it, but it's ridiculously, ridiculously hard - often thought of as Imperial's hardest course (along with JMC), and you'll be worked like a dog.

Lot's of people here saying Imperial will guarantee you a job are plain wrong. Imperial is perhaps better respected in the engineering industry than UCL, but at the end of the day it only gets you an interview.
Reply 41
Original post by london12
Errrr, what??

Even LSE accept they're 4th in the UK! Imperial are easily 3rd! UCL would be lucky to claim 5th, which they dont even do always!

ok so this is the one for individual subjects (I've input engineering)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-engineering-electronic-and-electrical-

. THEN MAY I SUGGEST YOU READ THIS.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/08/worlds-top-100-universities-2010

:smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Peel

I think I'll probably be happier there, I'm just trying to gauge how much happier and weigh it up against my future prospects etc. I'm not the most decisive of people! How do you find Imperial? Do you think the 'geeky, male dominated', thing is a resounding theme, or doesn't it bother you?
Reply 43
well of course not just handed to them. just gives an upperhand. imperials engineering course has much more content compared to most other unis. obviously people who survive through a degree at imperial are willing to work hard, and this is what employees know for a fact. so if you have the right attitude and etc, you've got the upperhand over someone who's graduated from ucl for instance.
Reply 44
Original post by Smitht
I think I'll probably be happier there, I'm just trying to gauge how much happier and weigh it up against my future prospects etc. I'm not the most decisive of people! How do you find Imperial? Do you think the 'geeky, male dominated', thing is a resounding theme, or doesn't it bother you?

Yeah it is a bit annoying at times, but there are lots of normal, outgoing people at Imperial contrary to the stereotype, they just happen to be very smart as well, so I'm not really that bothered - I've made some pretty great friends here and haven't really looked bad since. You can't really do too much about the girls, but we have the most clubs / societies of any uni if I recall correctly, and people are always eager to meet other likeminded people, so in a way it's not too bad, but it is more difficult. That said, I've never really sought out a particular type of company whereas you want to hang around with artsy people so it might be a bit different. I do have artsy friends though, and they're pretty happy here as far as I can tell

It's good to think about prospects and stuff, but UCL and Imperial are both great unis with not too much between them. Sure one might open a few more doors, but do you even want those doors open? I know I've said this, but both will only get you to an interview stage, nobody will hire you just because you went to Imperial or UCL, and if they do I'd imagine they aren't worth working for anyway.

The way I'd look at it is: if you want to go into anything but engineering - it wont make a difference, if you want to go into engineering Imperial has the edge, but the EEE course is brutal even by Imperial standards. On the other hand socially UCL is better than Imperial: more relaxed workload, and has more balanced student population (across subjects and genders).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Peel

Aah, cool. You see, I wouldn't mind making sacrifices for an Imperial degree, but I just don't wanna be suicidal after a year. I'm a very hard worker and always have been. But I'm not a work obsessive, I got my grades because I was interested in my subject not because I was obsessing about the future.

You mean artsy/drama-y friends at the uni?

I don't like the sound of a brutal course, is it that much harder than say, civil or mech?
Reply 46
Original post by Smitht
Aah, cool. You see, I wouldn't mind making sacrifices for an Imperial degree, but I just don't wanna be suicidal after a year. I'm a very hard worker and always have been. But I'm not a work obsessive, I got my grades because I was interested in my subject not because I was obsessing about the future.

You mean artsy/drama-y friends at the uni?

I don't like the sound of a brutal course, is it that much harder than say, civil or mech?

Yep, I have some arsty friends at uni, they do stuff like IC radio, Musical theatre soc, Leonardo (fine art) soc, Orchestra, write for our newspaper Felix, etc. There's quite a bit of arts stuff to get involved in, and there's an arts week every year where lots of things go on.

Yeah, it does seem to be quite a bit harder than civil or mech. They do stuff like advanced maths papers on top of the ones everyone else does, and generally their material and workload seems a lot more difficult. I'm sure if you got an offer you'd be able to cope, and being a hardworker can only be a good thing for EEE, but it is a really difficult course and Imperial expects a lot out of you.

Sorry this is negative stuff btw, there are a lot of great things about Imperial, but I thought I'd try give some perspective as I think people on TSR are quite slavish to league tables, and miss out on the bigger picture.
Reply 47
Im in the exact same situation! except my course is medicine.
in the beginning i thought i would be happier at imperial with its focus more on sciences, and better facilities, but after I found out more information about both unis and visited I think ucl is more of the place for me, because of the diversity in the student population, and the fact its more sociable, but the only thing stopping me from firming ucl is imperials reputation and prestige.

i suppose it is different for me however because its medicine so for my course they are almost academically identical and it makes little difference to my future career.
the reoccurring point though is where would you be happiest..
Reply 48

I'm getting bored of saying this......

Please dont show me league tables of a newspaper which, in 2008, ranked luton Maths degree 13th in the UK when they didn't even have a maths degree!

Either show me the times university guide, or complete university guide or nothing.
Reply 49
ucl first choice and imperial firm

i knw pp who go ucl n do the course ur going to do and they love it ther... they have that social life they need to relax and be hardworking students.

Imperial is one of the best (thus y soon you can only apply to oxford, Cambridge or imperial and not all of them soon).

Gd luck :smile:
Reply 50
Still having an issue with this guys, went to London and visited them both the other day. Loved Imps, but still worried about the environment!
Reply 51
Original post by Smitht
Still having an issue with this guys, went to London and visited them both the other day. Loved Imps, but still worried about the environment!

well, dont worry. im pretty sure at the end of the day, there are others are who're having the same problem. half would prolly chose ucl and the other imps. so either way im sure you'd meet a great bunch of friends there!

Quick Reply

Latest