Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acceptable gap before looking for another gf? watch

Just split with my girlfriend of 18 months a week ago which made me wonder:

How long should you leave time wise before looking for another girlfriend?

Personally not looking at all yet (obviously) but i've known people jump ship in two weeks from much longer relationships into new ones that also last ages.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on when you feel ready. No one can tell you how long to wait.

ReputationRep:
    You can't put a certain limit for it. Depends if you feel you are ready for another relationship and that you will stay commited. It could take a few weeks to few years maybe. It depends how the last relationship ended, how you feel about your ex and so many other factors.
    You can't put a certain length of time before you look for another partner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Personally not looking at all yet (obviously) but i've known people jump ship in two weeks from much longer relationships into new ones that also last ages.
    Well, its really down to each person, it just depends when you feel you are ready for another relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the whole attitude of looking for a boyfriend or girlfriend anyway. if I found out someone I was getting close to had actively been looking for a girlfriend I would be totally put off. why don't you just go alone as normal and see when you actually just meet someone that you like.

ReputationRep:
    Really depends how serious the relationship was and how the break-up occurred I think.

For me I slept with my current boyfriend within a week but we didn't actually get together for 4 months (and my ex was an abusive ******* so it wasn't to spare his feelings).

Depends on how you feel and when you feel you are ready. If you say you're not ready now then that's fine. Bear in mind things like this often happen when you least expect it anyway, so you can never really plan it.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you split up? Maybe it's because she found someone else? (While telling you other reasons.) So you should get out there and find someone new straight away.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a gap long enough that she can't see you.

So a good a few hundred yards or some sort of accomodation is a good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    I don't understand the whole attitude of looking for a boyfriend or girlfriend anyway. if I found out someone I was getting close to had actively been looking for a girlfriend I would be totally put off. why don't you just go alone as normal and see when you actually just meet someone that you like.
    yeah, follow this advice to be a 40 year old virgin. fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    yeah, follow this advice to be a 40 year old virgin. fail.
    ye its a total fail thats why it works for the vast majority of people. throughout your life you meet people constantly without actively making a big effort so your saying theres no chance you would have an attraction to any of these people and non of them would like you back? people who happen to meet at work or at parties don't exist and people who have to resort to things like dating site are total winners?
    wouldn't you rather someone you were with wanted to be with you for YOU not because they were looking for someone and you happened to be just good enough or were the only willing person so they settled for you.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly if you get a new girlfriend at 11.59 pm 29 days later it is unacceptable and you will be forever shunned, but if you get one at 12.01 am 30 days later no one will bat an eyelid.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a time frame as such, I think it's more about when you feel your past relationship won't interfere with your new one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    ...or at parties...
    that's what parties are for.

also: don't dip your nib in the company ink!

ReputationRep:
    When you feel like you're over her I guess? So when you get to the point where you realise you're never looking at her Facebook profile, or looking at old photos of you two, or old texts, or thinking about her. If you still feel emotional when she pops into your head, it's too soon!

I'm sure there's some kind of mathematical formula, whereby you divide the length of time you were together by how much of a ***** she was or something, but that's beyond my mathematically-dyslexic brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Clearly if you get a new girlfriend at 11.59 pm 29 days later it is unacceptable and you will be forever shunned, but if you get one at 12.01 am 30 days later no one will bat an eyelid.
    :lolwut:
    Where is the pic in your sig from? I might have asked this before, but I love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Where is the pic in your sig from? I might have asked this before, but I love it!
    You haven't. Well, I stole it out of someone else's sig (who no longer posts) when I first joined, but someone pmed me where it actually came from recently...I can't find the pm, I have far too many in my inbox and they all seem to have identical titles sorry I know it was from this (I think German?) girl's deviantart though.

ReputationRep:
    when you're over it and want to date again there's no set length of time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Do what YOU want for once.

ReputationRep:
    How long you've been together divided by 20.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you feel ready. When my friends broke up after 2 years together the girl had a new guy within a few weeks, the boy has only just gotten a new girlfriend over a year after the break up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.