Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acceptable gap before looking for another gf? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    ye its a total fail thats why it works for the vast majority of people. throughout your life you meet people constantly without actively making a big effort so your saying theres no chance you would have an attraction to any of these people and non of them would like you back? people who happen to meet at work or at parties don't exist and people who have to resort to things like dating site are total winners?
    wouldn't you rather someone you were with wanted to be with you for YOU not because they were looking for someone and you happened to be just good enough or were the only willing person so they settled for you.
    Some people like to take their fate into their own hands instead of leaving it up to the very small chance that their ideal match just happens to work in the same place as they do. It's called being an active participant in life...

"People who have to resort to things like dating sites" .... hmmm... pretty much everyone I know is on Okcupid, or was when they were single. We're all attractive, intelligent, university-educated 20-something folk. Online dating stopped being something people "resort" to many, many years ago... keep up.

I'm guessing you're still at school or university, and are thus surrounded by hundreds or thousands of similar people the same age as you. In the post-schooling world, you have to actually make an effort if you want a reasonable chance of meeting people you have things in common with. They're not handed to you on a plate. It's very different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Some people like to take their fate into their own hands instead of leaving it up to the very small chance that their ideal match just happens to work in the same place as they do. It's called being an active participant in life...

"People who have to resort to things like dating sites" .... hmmm... pretty much everyone I know is on Okcupid, or was when they were single. We're all attractive, intelligent, university-educated 20-something folk. Online dating stopped being something people "resort" to many, many years ago... keep up.

I'm guessing you're still at school or university, and are thus surrounded by hundreds or thousands of similar people the same age as you. In the post-schooling world, you have to actually make an effort if you want a reasonable chance of meeting people you have things in common with. They're not handed to you on a plate. It's very different.
    like I said Id rather be alone than be with someone I new was just interested in having somebody. it would just make me feel like I could be anyone and it wouldn't matter. you can actively participate in life without being so worried about having someone to be attached to.
    yes I am but I have many friends who are not and know many older people who have meet new people post divorce and such all naturally without making an effort. do you not go out with your friends to places where you might meet knew people? have a job? ect
    and well as far as internet dating goes I guess opinions can differ but I don't know anyone, friends, family, people who I work with (including people older and higher up so people more similar to the people you have mentioned) that wouldn't say internet dating isnt something to resort to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    like I said Id rather be alone than be with someone I new was just interested in having somebody. it would just make me feel like I could be anyone and it wouldn't matter. you can actively participate in life without being so worried about having someone to be attached to.
    yes I am but I have many friends who are not and know many older people who have meet new people post divorce and such all naturally without making an effort. do you not go out with your friends to places where you might meet knew people? have a job? ect
    and well as far as internet dating goes I guess opinions can differ but I don't know anyone, friends, family, people who I work with (including people older and higher up so people more similar to the people you have mentioned) that wouldn't say internet dating isnt something to resort to.
    The fact that someone makes an effort to meet people doesn't mean they're "worried about having someone to be attached to". Most people simply enjoy having the company of an attractive, compatible person of the opposite sex (or same, if they swing that way) that they spend time with and enjoy intimacy. So they make it happen instead of sitting around hoping that it comes along. If you really like the taste of cake, do you go out and obtain cake or sit and wait for someone to put some in your mouth?

Having a job is not really a particularly good method of finding a partner, lol. I work in a medium sized office with about 50 people there. There is literally one man there who is in the age range I would consider dating. Plenty of people work in smaller companies. Most people I've talked to who are in their early 20s have similar experiences. The working world is not like school; you'll be lucky if you work with a few people who are your age, and even luckier if you have enough in common with them to be anything more than colleagues. And, of course, it's generally advised to avoid dating people you work with, for obvious reasons...

I'm surprised that you've asked literally every person you know what they think of online dating. How did that arise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    The fact that someone makes an effort to meet people doesn't mean they're "worried about having someone to be attached to". Most people simply enjoy having the company of an attractive, compatible person of the opposite sex (or same, if they swing that way) that they spend time with and enjoy intimacy. So they make it happen instead of sitting around hoping that it comes along. If you really like the taste of cake, do you go out and obtain cake or sit and wait for someone to put some in your mouth?

Having a job is not really a particularly good method of finding a partner, lol. I work in a medium sized office with about 50 people there. There is literally one man there who is in the age range I would consider dating. Plenty of people work in smaller companies. Most people I've talked to who are in their early 20s have similar experiences. The working world is not like school; you'll be lucky if you work with a few people who are your age, and even luckier if you have enough in common with them to be anything more than colleagues. And, of course, it's generally advised to avoid dating people you work with, for obvious reasons...

I'm surprised that you've asked literally every person you know what they think of online dating. How did that arise?
    as far as the rest of your post goes just.. fair enough our opinions obviously differ on our approaches to things but thats not really such a bad thing, I know many epople who have met through work or friends of people from work they've met at parties and things but I do realise you have more experience of this than me since I only really work part time.

and for the internet dating I obviously haven't asked literally everyone I know but its came up in conversation with many different groups of people, usually as a result of shock that someone has actually joined one and how desperate they must be

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.