Turn on thread page Beta

[This really can't be condensed into a thread title, I have no idea what it is.] watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically every night now this extremely odd thing happens when I'm lying in bed, mostly when I'm half conscious i.e drifting in and out of sleep or just knackered. I'm definitely conscious when it happens, but not fully aware if that makes sense.

When I’m lying down sometimes I just can’t move. It’s really bizarre but everything just feels really heavy and I can’t move at all. For example if I try and turn my head over it just feels like there’s something holding it down and it’s physically not possible, so I’m stuck there motionless and I can’t do anything about it. Likewise if I try and lift a limb up it just doesn’t happen, and everything feels like it’s really heavy or being pulled down. It only happens for about 20-30 seconds at a time and then just stops, but it’s happening quite regularly now, maybe 3-4 times a night whereas previously it was very rare. Occasionally there’s a fast thumping sound in my head whilst it’s happening, which doesn’t exactly ease my anxiety about the whole thing whilst it's happening.

I’m not overly worried because nothing bad has ever come of it before and it tends to sort itself out after 20-30 seconds like I said (It's been happening for well over a year so if there was something drastically wrong, I presume I'd know by now), but it’d be interesting to know if anybody has experienced a similar thing, and if anybody knows what on earth could be causing it, tah.

(Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Basically every night now this extremely odd thing happens when I'm lying in bed, mostly when I'm half conscious i.e drifting in and out of sleep or just knackered. I'm definitely conscious when it happens, but not fully aware if that makes sense.

When I’m lying down sometimes I just can’t move. It’s really bizarre but everything just feels really heavy and I can’t move at all. For example if I try and turn my head over it just feels like there’s something holding it down and it’s physically not possible, so I’m stuck there motionless and I can’t do anything about it. Likewise if I try and lift a limb up it just doesn’t happen, and everything feels like it’s really heavy or being pulled down. It only happens for about 20-30 seconds at a time and then just stops, but it’s happening quite regularly now, maybe 3-4 times a night whereas previously it was very rare. Occasionally there’s a fast thumping sound in my head whilst it’s happening, which doesn’t exactly ease my anxiety about the whole thing whilst it's happening.

I’m not overly worried because nothing bad has ever come of it before and it tends to sort itself out after 20-30 seconds like I said (It's been happening for well over a year so if there was something drastically wrong, I presume I'd know by now), but it’d be interesting to know if anybody has experienced a similar thing, and if anybody knows what on earth could be causing it, tah.
    Sleep paralysis.

ReputationRep:
    Could be the side effects of lack of sleep, or it could be something serious.

They could be signs of strokes/problems with blood pressure.

You should probably talk to your Doctor about it, or at least talk to the NHS helpline.

Edit: Or yeah, as Ape pointed out, it could well be sleep paralysis.

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me before...only a few times though.

Apparently it occurs more if you're sleeping on your back.

ReputationRep:
    I get this sometimes, sleep paralysis.

Scares the **** out of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Sleep paralysis.
    Ah awesome thanks .

Thanks everybody for your replies, it's nice to put a name to it.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely sounds like sleep paralysis, it happens to me on occasion too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Ah awesome thanks .

Thanks everybody for your replies, it's nice to put a name to it.
    According the the Wiki article,

A study conducted by Sedaghat F. et al. has investigated the prevalence of sleep paralysis among Iranian medical students.
    Who knew?!

Any iranian medical students here?

ReputationRep:
    yeahh sleep paralysis! its the most scariest thing ever but now i know what it is, it helps to just know your going to snap out it soon and what i try to do is move my toes or my eyelids first as that get you out of it quicker.

most times i dont mind it cos i know its harmless. The only times it really scares me is when you here the loud noises or see something or someone in your room/on top of you and you cant move/scream to do anything about it! reallllly freaky!

It happens to almost everyone afaik. Nothing to worry about.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.