Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meron)
    You are wrong. I don't have GCSE foreign language the only language GCSE I have is English but I do have an offer from UCL to study physics. Correct me if I misunderstood you. Also, do not take what they say TSR personal some people here are jerks and cowards they think its acceptable to say things in the internet that they would not dare to say in real life. I think you have done very well and rightly so you should proud of your achievements. But I don't think good grades = ( born gifted). I think good grades is a result of hard work/ more focused work.
    I don't think good grades necessarily mean you're clever either - there are some people who just lock themselves inside for 10 hours a day for 6 months and thus get lots and lots of A*. As for UCL, you didn't need a foreign language GCSE this year to get in, but you will do from next year onwards. Unless you couldn't take one for whatever reason. I have a friend who they waived the foreign language GCSE requirement for because her school was too dreadful to offer foreign languages beyond Y9

(Original post by Asboob)
    Just to add another voice, you should definitely listen to all the nice people on here and not that one ******. I hope you're OK, your GCSEs are brilliant and you definitely deserve them! (My puny 11A*s are bowing down in awe ). Oh and while I'm here, the A*/A in two A-Levels after 18 months is pretty brilliant too
    How lovely of you I'm alright now, don't worry! It's just when you read over it for the first time and you're like ':eek4: What did I do to that person?' And wow, 11 A*? Well done! It's ok, one of mine was in RS, so it hardly counts As for the a-levels, I actually think it was the easy way out because it massively takes the stress off in summer But again, how lovely you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    No worries.
    My posts do look like I'm bragging a bit to be fair, so it wouldn't have surprised me if you were being sarcastic. I wasn't boasting by the way, but you know how the internet goes.

An A is hardly bad is it?!
    Nah you aren't bragging but seriously don't take it the wrong way I really wasn't Yeah an A is pretty good, i can't complain but it's still not an A*. Tbh it's not what you get, it's how much effort you put in...knowing i could've gotten a couple of A* if i hadn't been an idiot and maybe picked up a revision guy a day or 2 before....

ReputationRep:
    I got 8A*s, 3.5 As, and 2Bs (Or 1 B and an iMedia pass, equivalent to a B!)

3 people out of 200 in my year got 10A*s, I got 4th best results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by - Major -)
    Nah you aren't bragging but seriously don't take it the wrong way I really wasn't Yeah an A is pretty good, i can't complain but it's still not an A*. Tbh it's not what you get, it's how much effort you put in...knowing i could've gotten a couple of A* if i hadn't been an idiot and maybe picked up a revision guy a day or 2 before....
    That's true, I know the feeling with my AS results. Guess I got complacent. Still, you live and learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I... I... what the ****? I'm sorry, what? What the **** is wrong with you?

I don't even care that this is the internet; this actually made me cry. Do you have any idea how hurtful it is to post personal attacks when you know ****ing nothing about the person?

I am going to put this in bold, because it's important: I did not get any extra help. I'm autistic, but I was only diagnosed with autism last September, so after I'd done my GCSEs. I did not get anything extra. I didn't get a laptop, a reader, extra time, exam breaks, my own little room, anything. I actually had a panic attack in one of my exams because I find it incredibly stressful to be around 140+ other people in an enclosed area for a long period of time.

I also didn't receive any help academically. I go to a state comprehensive, and while my school is not terrible, a number of individual teachers were very poor, resulting in me having to teach myself some of my qualifications (at GCSE, mostly sciences and English; at a-level, pretty much everything). This is all my own work. It is all stuff I did myself, under my own merits. My grandma actually died the day before my maths exam, right in the middle of exam season, and I didn't even get any extra consideration because of that.

I am not ****ing showing off. I didn't get extra help, I didn't even get the amount of help that most regular people get, and I don't think mentioning your GCSE grades (especially in a thread where the OP asks if anyone got 10 A*) is that arrogant. **** you and your bull**** assumptions.
    I'm sorry you were so offended by that bull**** comment made by someone who clearly has no knowledge of the Autistic Spectrum. I was offended by it myself but having been diagnosed with Asperger's many years ago (when I was six), I'm less inclined to react like that unless it's said with real malice.

Just a bit of advice - don't get fired up over it. I say with personal experience that getting worked up over something like that really isn't worth it, especially when it's directed at you by someone that dim.

I hope all is well, though I appreciate I may have made it worse by bringing it back up. I just know the **** will read this post and say something to me, so I look forward to arguing with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobius323)
    I'm sorry you were so offended by that bull**** comment made by someone who clearly has no knowledge of the Autistic Spectrum. I was offended by it myself but having been diagnosed with Asperger's many years ago (when I was six), I'm less inclined to react like that unless it's said with real malice.

Just a bit of advice - don't get fired up over it. I say with personal experience that getting worked up over something like that really isn't worth it, especially when it's directed at you by someone that dim.

I hope all is well, though I appreciate I may have made it worse by bringing it back up. I just know the **** will read this post and say something to me, so I look forward to arguing with him.
    How do you get diagnosed? I (and other people) have often wondered whether I am on the Autistic Spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths_Lover)
    How do you get diagnosed? I (and other people) have often wondered whether I am on the Autistic Spectrum.

I don't know the ins and outs of the diagnostic process, but I do believe that there's a questionnaire type thing on the internet where, if you apply to certain number of traits, it's recommended you go and see a psychiatrist or someone like that.

I was diagnosed at the age of six with a High Level Language Disorder with traits of Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but was told that in short, that's Asperger's. As I grew up, I regularly saw psychologists and people along that line and they all agreed with the diagnosis of Asperger's, especially because of my very extreme interest in Science.

ReputationRep:

Thankyou very much for being so lovely

I know it's not worth getting worked up over, but sadly I can't do much about my emotional reaction to things - I do wish that I could, but I just don't seem to work like that. I've known I had AS for years, but I only have the formal diagnosis comparatively recently, so I'm finally getting access arrangements put in place now - I get my own little room for exams, which is lovely

I'd actually quite like to argue with him; it's a shame he can't defend what he's said at all.

ReputationRep:
    As an adult, you should go to your GP and say 'I think I have Asperger's'. You also need to mention some of the reasons why you think that, and that they're causing difficulty for you in your everyday life - they won't bother diagnosing you unless they think it's actually going to make a difference for you. They may ask you why a diagnosis would help or change your life at all.

You should then get referred to a mental health trust (I know, I know, it's not really a mental health issue) who can take things further. For an AS diagnosis, you have to satisfy two different professionals that you fit the diagnostic criteria, which requires evidence that you have problems now, but also evidence from your childhood - for example, if you learn to speak remarkably late, you probably will find it harder to get diagnosed as that's a hallmark of classic autism, not AS. I had one interview with a psychologist which was quite general but convinced her that I had AS, and then a comprehensive four-hour assessment with a psychiatrist in which we went through basically everything I have ever done.

It's worth looking at the diagnostic criteria (http://www.aspergers.com/aspcrit.htm) to see if you do fit them - it's more than just being socially awkward

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou very much for being so lovely

I know it's not worth getting worked up over, but sadly I can't do much about my emotional reaction to things - I do wish that I could, but I just don't seem to work like that. I've known I had AS for years, but I only have the formal diagnosis comparatively recently, so I'm finally getting access arrangements put in place now - I get my own little room for exams, which is lovely

I'd actually quite like to argue with him; it's a shame he can't defend what he's said at all.
    No problem, m'dear. I know how much it makes the blood boil when someone directs such a stupid comment at a factor that affects you that you don't necessarily control. I can't bear it when people say certain things about me, but they're very finite things and it usually doesn't get that far.

Perhaps you want to talk about Autism? I'd love to hear of your experiences and your thoughts on having Autism. I imagine you must have been quite relieved to have got a diagnosis, even at that stage of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara78)
    what are you talking about yes they do maybe not in state schools but in private schools and grammar schools people do and its not that hard you know.
    What do you mean "yes they do".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bensocks)
    Did anyone here achieve all A*'s?
    Are you new to TSR? : D

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the ins and outs of the diagnostic process, but I do believe that there's a questionnaire type thing on the internet where, if you apply to certain number of traits, it's recommended you go and see a psychiatrist or someone like that.

I was diagnosed at the age of six with a High Level Language Disorder with traits of Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but was told that in short, that's Asperger's. As I grew up, I regularly saw psychologists and people along that line and they all agreed with the diagnosis of Asperger's, especially because of my very extreme interest in Science
    Yeah. I took that test a while ago and scored way into the "probably autistic" range. I too have a very extreme interest in Science and Maths.

As an adult, you should go to your GP and say 'I think I have Asperger's'. You also need to mention some of the reasons why you think that, and that they're causing difficulty for you in your everyday life - they won't bother diagnosing you unless they think it's actually going to make a difference for you. They may ask you why a diagnosis would help or change your life at all.

You should then get referred to a mental health trust (I know, I know, it's not really a mental health issue) who can take things further. For an AS diagnosis, you have to satisfy two different professionals that you fit the diagnostic criteria, which requires evidence that you have problems now, but also evidence from your childhood - for example, if you learn to speak remarkably late, you probably will find it harder to get diagnosed as that's a hallmark of classic autism, not AS. I had one interview with a psychologist which was quite general but convinced her that I had AS, and then a comprehensive four-hour assessment with a psychiatrist in which we went through basically everything I have ever done.

It's worth looking at the diagnostic criteria (http://www.aspergers.com/aspcrit.htm) to see if you do fit them - it's more than just being socially awkward
    OK. Thanks, I will have a look at that site. I don't think it causes any serious issues as such but I do get teased for being "weird" etc. I learned to speak quite early (10 months), so I do not think I have classic autism but possibly AS.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I took that test a while ago and scored way into the "probably autistic" range. I too have a very extreme interest in Science and Maths.

OK. Thanks, I will have a look at that site. I don't think it causes any serious issues as such but I do get teased for being "weird" etc. I learned to speak quite early (10 months), so I do not think I have classic autism but possibly AS.
    See, the whole speaking thing is slightly weird in my case. I could read, write, add, subtract and talk when I was two. I just chose not to communicate in that way. I communicated with my Mum with noises and specific noises meant I wanted specific things. She was the only person who could pick up on it. Then I got to Primary School and I haven't stopped talking since.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so inferior to all you guys haha but at the same time I'm incredibly proud of myself and where I am today I have Aspergers Syndrome, which wasn't recognised at school. i had a late diagnosis. I was bullied amost to death at school, and I failed all my GCSE's. I went to college and I have had support since I went. The encouragment I've received has been fantastic. I have wroked my butt off and received five awards. I retook my GCSE's and got one A* in them. To me that is like a degree, and I have it on my wall ! It's not easy at college and all of the work is independent but I am clever in my own way, and college has helped my discover things I'm good at. I did my AS levels and got AABC. Recently I had a group interview at leeds university and it was hard just getting there as I hate public transport, and it was my first interview, ever too haha It was with two lasses who attend private school and they were brilliant ! haha I was shocked when I got a reply and it said I was thoroughly impressive. 12 A* is great, it's amazing ! But getting one is still good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    The only way GCSEs mean anything is if you do NO revision, otherwise they just show how good you are at revising, not how good you are at the subject.
    Hah, true! All of mine were a last minute job - in fact it has given me confidence that I got 7A*s and 4 As doing minimal revision. I had no academic ambitions before my GCSEs and now I'm aiming high in my A Levels and in terms of Unis.

I guess showing that you can learn a 2 year course in a few hours shows some level of intelligence, no? My work ethic during the years was poor, I was B-C grade standard throughout.

I hope actually doing revision this year for my AS levels will reap full benefits.

Evan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evan MF)
    Hah, true! All of mine were a last minute job - in fact it has given me confidence that I got 7A*s and 4 As doing minimal revision. I had no academic ambitions before my GCSEs and now I'm aiming high in my A Levels and in terms of Unis.

I guess showing that you can learn a 2 year course in a few hours shows some level of intelligence, no? My work ethic during the years was poor, I was B-C grade standard throughout.

I hope actually doing revision this year for my AS levels will reap full benefits.

Evan
    I am thinking of doing those exact AS levels. How are they???

ReputationRep:
    People who say that they are thicker because they only got 6 A*s and 5 As need to think again. Someone's intellect is not determined by GCSE grades so to say that because person A is cleverer than you because they got 'x' more A*s is frankly absurd. GCSEs might not actually mean much come to University applications, they are really more of a good indicator for A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    See, the whole speaking thing is slightly weird in my case. I could read, write, add, subtract and talk when I was two. I just chose not to communicate in that way. I communicated with my Mum with noises and specific noises meant I wanted specific things. She was the only person who could pick up on it. Then I got to Primary School and I haven't stopped talking since.
    I think my parents described me once as a "moody and independent child"; I did not like (and still don't like) people doing things for me, especially things that I was capable of doing myself. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think my parents described me once as a "moody and independent child"; I did not like (and still don't like) people doing things for me, especially things that I was capable of doing myself. :rolleyes:
    Not too sure that is a trait of AS, though it might be? Not sure. You could have a look around.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.