Turn on thread page Beta

If a 20 year old guy can't drive do you think that is weird? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottelisabeth)
    No. Just think of all the people who live in London or New York, places like that. A lot of people there don't drive and instead just rely on public transport and then hire a car when they visit family or what not. My cousin lives in W.Yorks, she only passed her driving test some time last yr and she's in her early 30's and to me that's not wierd. A lot of people who live in cities don't drive, it's only mostly people who live in the countryside where the public transport isn't as great that they need a car.

Plus what with the price of fuel and insurance I'm not surprised that some people can't afford to drive anymore!
    only the poor cant afford to drive... public transport is for people living on the dole and people who are homeless

ReputationRep:
    My science teacher is 28 and doesn't drive, I'm one of four drivers out of a science class of 12 students, he asked us how many could drive and then proceeded to belittle everything about it, as if he was morally superior to us because he didn't drive.

If they had that attitude towards driving then I'd find them childish and such, otherwise if they didn't have the money or time or didn't want to learn I wouldn't think twice about it.

I would have easily waited until I was in my early 20's to drive but my parents were insistent I learnt now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If there is a 20 year old guy and he cannot drive yet do you think that is weird and childish?
    No, why would it be....

I know loads of people who are around that age and can't drive yet. With the expence of driving lessons and then the expense of buy a car and all the things that come with it plus some people just are not interested in learning to drive.

I'm nearly 20 and have only just started lessons and I only decided to learn now becasue I finally feel like I want to drive and I have managed to save up enough money for a car etc.

x

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, for guys, insurance has crazily high premiums, at younger ages, compared to girls, so at 20, i'm sure there are many guys wont be driving due to financial reasons, there's nothing weird about it, its perfectly understandable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    only the poor cant afford to drive... public transport is for people living on the dole and people who are homeless
    and people who are under the legal age to drive

i.e. college or sixth form students.

And old aged people who are living on pensions.

Public transport is for anyone to use, not just set for those on the dole or the homeless.

I have a driving license, had a car for 2 years and sold it in January to save up for university. I won't have a car during university as it wont be needed and I just use the works van at the moment until I go in September.

The only people my age I know who dont drive are those who waste money by going out all the time getting drunk, rather than use it to do something worthwhile. I just preferred to go out less (I still went out though) and saved for my lessons. Its usually the same people who'll tell you they'll do their test when they have money yet fail to realise when they get paid that they could book lessons, when instead they'd rather just go out most nights boozing it up.

I'll be using the bus during university. £40 for the year so its worthwhile to get from the campus to the town, whereas a car would cost more than that for 1 months insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 and currently learning. Hopefully I will pass soon because I've been learning for over a year now.

The fact is despite having a full time graduate job, there's no way I could afford it if my parents weren't paying for everything. I've spent around £3000 on lessons so far, when I pass insurance will be £1500 at a minimum. The cost of the car itself is actually pretty insignificant. Luckily for me I have some very generous parents so they've paid for lessons, bought a car and are willing to pay my insurance for at least a year. I'll only have to pay for petrol. Even then, I'm going to avoid driving as much as possible because I don't fancy paying for petrol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    and people who are under the legal age to drive

i.e. college or sixth form students.

And old aged people who are living on pensions.

Public transport is for anyone to use, not just set for those on the dole or the homeless.

I have a driving license, had a car for 2 years and sold it in January to save up for university. I won't have a car during university as it wont be needed and I just use the works van at the moment until I go in September.

The only people my age I know who dont drive are those who waste money by going out all the time getting drunk, rather than use it to do something worthwhile. I just preferred to go out less (I still went out though) and saved for my lessons. Its usually the same people who'll tell you they'll do their test when they have money yet fail to realise when they get paid that they could book lessons, when instead they'd rather just go out most nights boozing it up.

I'll be using the bus during university. £40 for the year so its worthwhile to get from the campus to the town, whereas a car would cost more than that for 1 months insurance.
    so in other words... your poor!

ReputationRep:
    so in other words... your poor!
    Im poor?

quite the opposite. Its just im not an idiot with money.

My parents earn well over the threshold for the maintenance loan per year and thats the reason im only entitled to 75% of the maintenance loan. Thats why im 20 and going to university 3 years later as I've saved up enough to cover all 4 years at university and have a good amount of money to spend each week that I won't need to stress about financial issues, can live comfortably and get on with my work without any stress.

I just dont see the point in a car at university.

Im going to Aberystwyth, everything is on campus and a bus pass for the year is £40, the town is 10 minutes walk as well.

A car would mean I'd have to pay for petrol expenses, car insurance, road tax, as well as maintenance if anything went wrong with it. Just doesn't seem worthwhile. I'd rather save what I have left and buy a nice car after university when the likelihood is that i'll need one for work. Im not going to spend money on a car for the sake of it.

If you think buying a car is worthwhile in that scenario you're pretty stupid. Car insurance alone would cost between £1200-1800. Im not going to waste money I dont need to spend.

I love how you think im poor. Im just not an idiot and dont waste money for the sake of it. I've been told my parents thats the best way. They've got to where they are in life because of it and they both have a house abroad, nice cars, and their own business. Whilst all my friends and wasting their money on unneeded things, I'll save mine and put towards my future and things I do or will need that will help me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.laurence)
    It's not weird at all, but can I ask why you haven't taken lessons or as such?
    Perhaps because of the astronomical cost, and the fact that he would be having them at this extortionate rate and then by the time he comes to having the test he will have forgotten lots of the minute details that driving instructors get off to.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I passed my test at 21. It's not weird because it costs a ton of money. Took me 8 months to learn at 2 lessons per week..spent nearly 5 grand with BSM.

DONT GO WITH BSM!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Im poor?

quite the opposite. Its just im not an idiot with money.

My parents earn well over the threshold for the maintenance loan per year and thats the reason im only entitled to 75% of the maintenance loan. Thats why im 20 and going to university 3 years later as I've saved up enough to cover all 4 years at university and have a good amount of money to spend each week that I won't need to stress about financial issues, can live comfortably and get on with my work without any stress.

I just dont see the point in a car at university.

Im going to Aberystwyth, everything is on campus and a bus pass for the year is £40, the town is 10 minutes walk as well.

A car would mean I'd have to pay for petrol expenses, car insurance, road tax, as well as maintenance if anything went wrong with it. Just doesn't seem worthwhile. I'd rather save what I have left and buy a nice car after university when the likelihood is that i'll need one for work. Im not going to spend money on a car for the sake of it.

If you think buying a car is worthwhile in that scenario you're pretty stupid. Car insurance alone would cost between £1200-1800. Im not going to waste money I dont need to spend.

I love how you think im poor. Im just not an idiot and dont waste money for the sake of it. I've been told my parents thats the best way. They've got to where they are in life because of it and they both have a house abroad, nice cars, and their own business. Whilst all my friends and wasting their money on unneeded things, I'll save mine and put towards my future and things I do or will need that will help me out.
    more middle class than anything... id put u in lower middle co of your attitude... id love for you to drive me around in the future poor person. then you can clean my shoes aswell. LOL

ReputationRep:
    No, it would be fairly hypocritical if I did as I'm not planning to learn to drive. I'll probably learn at some point but I don't see the point while I'm still at university. Maybe once I have kids or whatever then a car would come in handy, but for now, there's no reason for me to drive.

ReputationRep:
    more middle class than anything... id put u in lower middle co of your attitude... id love for you to drive me around in the future poor person. then you can clean my shoes aswell. LOL
    how am I middle class? you clearly haven't a clue!

My parents could have easily paid my fees up front. However, the loans are paid back based on income so its more sensible to take them out and then only pay back if I land a job related to my sector and thats over the threshold. If they paid up front, the economy fails or the sector does poorly and I can't get a job, then its a wasted investment.

My parents were from working class and proud of it. They now have money and we still live in a working class area because they haven't forgotten their roots and who they used to be. They've stayed down to Earth and in touch with reality. I couldn't be assed with all the snobbery, especially the amount you seem to show.

According to financial status, we would be regarded as upper class but I don't give two hoots about class myself. You're a person regardless of your class or financial status. I would have also hated going to a private school (which I could have done) but instead I'd rather go to a normal state school and mix with children from all backgrounds, just as my parents did.

Also, im not gloating in any way as i dont care about money. A lot of my friends are from poor backgrounds and it doesn't matter to me. I choose to be friends with them because of who they are as a person, not their financial status. Its just im trying to make you aware that not all people with money are pathetic snobs that need to impose it on others. A lot of people with money remember where they came from and how hard it was to get where they are today. My parents have a company they could easily sell now and go live somewhere happily ever after. Instead, they'd rather keep working and keep other people in jobs.

You clearly seem to be a disillusioned snob.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 and thinking of learning to drive sometime in the next 2 years. Living in a city I have absolutely no reason to drive, and it seems a little silly to pass my test and then do nothing with it for years. Only reason I want to learn is so I can drive if I get a different job that requires it, but got plenty of time on my current job contract to learn.

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming up to 21 and I can't drive. I just don't have the money- even if I saved to get lessons, I'd then have to save again to be able to afford an actual vehicle and insurance. Just not worth it for me at the moment. Don't think there's anything weird about this- the people I know who know how to drive had a lot of financial support from their parents in one way or another. Always assumed I'd learn to drive once I was in a well-paid graduate job, but since I'll probably be in London I might not bother.

So no- I wouldn't think a guy who couldn't drive was weird at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and technically i don't drive because i don't have a car. However I've got a licence and passed first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Learning to drive is expensive, so it's not an issue tbh. It's a luxury more than an expectation.
    This. Considering that it is hard enough to have your own roof these days having your own wheels is a bit of a luxury.

(Original post by Yawn11)
    The only people bothered by twenty year old men not driving are gold-digging *****ez.
    This to.

I myself prefer to live in town and walk, though as soon as my finances are a bit more free, I know exactly what car I'm getting.

Until then I'll just have to languish with the convenience of having everything so close and having fit nice legs from walking.

God forbid..

ReputationRep:
    Where I live, yeah it's weird. I don't know a single guy (or girl tbf) who has reached 20 who can't drive. S'only because we have zero transport links and live in the middle of the sodding countryside though. If you live in a city or summat it wouldn't really be an issue, but you can't do anything here unless you can drive, most people pass by 18.

ReputationRep:
    I learned to drive at 17 but I don't think it's weird that you can't drive at 20 as it is very expensive. Lucky for me my parents paid for my learning but I pay for my car.

I would say that even if you don't need a car right now, you should still try to get a license as your more lilkely to get a job than if you don't have one and there might be an emergency where public transport isn't suitable and you wouldn't be able to drive.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all.

While I got my full license when I was 18, I personally think that at 20 and over, you are more mature for driving.

In terms of crashes etc, most people are around 18-19 and have just received their license.

Here in London, I do not see a need for a car. The public transport is all I need, unless I need to move equipment around etc.

Note: I am German and have a German license, so these statistics are more related to Germany, but I would imagine it is similar here in the UK.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.