Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've got offers from both of these places to study english next year, but im really unsure which to pick! both are aab, but liverpool includes general studies.

anyone got any good/ bad points about either, i quite liked both when i visited

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think Nottinghams the more prestigious

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is a much more fun city. Nottingham less so.

What do you intend to do after your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Liverpool is a much more fun city. Nottingham less so.

What do you intend to do after your degree?
    im not actually sure at the moment, maybe do a law conversion course but really dont know

what about liverpool is more fun do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbaa)
    im not actually sure at the moment, maybe do a law conversion course but really dont know

what about liverpool is more fun do you think?
    Why even go to university then?
    If you have no concrete plan you've gotta know that an english degree is not worth the paper its printed in.
    Think before you go waste 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is a more prestigious university, and will be an advantage if you intend to go into law afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Why even go to university then?
    If you have no concrete plan you've gotta know that an english degree is not worth the paper its printed in.
    Think before you go waste 3 years.
    She loves english so it isn't a waste and I'm sure at least 50% of people don't know what they are going to do after university. 3 years is a long time, she could make up her mind by then just like others who are so sure of what they want to do after uni can too.

It's not a waste at all.

Back on topic: Have you visited either of them?Maybe that is something to consider if you haven't. Both have got good reputations, so maybe look at things like modules, which city you'd prefer to live in, costs etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    She loves english so it isn't a waste and I'm sure at least 50% of people don't know what they are going to do after university. 3 years is a long time, she could make up her mind by then just like others who are so sure of what they want to do after uni can too.

It's not a waste at all.

Back on topic: Have you visited either of them?Maybe that is something to consider if you haven't. Both have got good reputations, so maybe look at things like modules, which city you'd prefer to live in, costs etc...
    So how about she knows what she wants BEFORE she is in debt with a degree she might not even need.
    But looking at your UCAS info... meeh expected.

ReputationRep:
    a degree in English = teaching

ReputationRep:
    So how about she knows what she wants BEFORE she is in debt with a degree she might not even need.
    But looking at your UCAS info... meeh expected.
    I wasnt really asking for an evaluation of my degree choice, i was more interested in the cities/ unis in general.

I know that i want to do english and that there are options that i'd be interested in afterwards, such as journalism, writing, law, teaching etcetc. i'm not about to get myself in even more debt waiting another year just in case i change my mind to something youd consider more useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)

It's not a waste at all.

Thankyou! Its not like im the only one who isnt certain what they want to do!

Yeah i've visited both of them and it hasnt made the decision any easier at all maybe thats just me being indecisive though

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.