Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a Scottish student and plan on traveling by train to university next year. It looks like it's going to cost me between £1500-2000 for an annual train pass, which seems more expensive than I expected. I am aware that a rail pass is available to students which takes a 1/3 of the price, but this only allows for people traveling after 9:00 which means I would not be able to use this as I'd need to get through there for about 8.
    Does anybody know of any other ways in which I could get my train tickets cheaper or any funds that help pay for traveling expenses in Scotland. The train company I would be traveling with would be ScotRail.

Thanks in advance to any input

ReputationRep:
    Uni semesters only last for 12 weeks, so it may be cheaper to buy monthly tickets just for that time.

You can (or at least used to be able to) reclaim travel expenses from SAAS if it's over a certain amount. The reimbursements of travel expenses isn't well promoted, but may be worth checking out the website to see what the deal is with that.

(and the railcard can be used anytime, but a £12 min fare applies before 10am)

ReputationRep:
    If you are in the Strathclyde area and will be using a combination of transport methods (bus, train, subway) then a Zonecard is best. Otherwise a Scotrail monthly season pass would be best. There's no point in getting and annual pass since you probably won't need it during the long summer holidays. You will also be able to claim back some of the money in January, although it is means-tested.

A 16-25 railcard can be an amazing thing, and very handy to have if you will be using trains a lot over the holiday periods when you don't have a season pass. But they can only be used to get the cheap fares after 10am, not 9am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    But they can only be used to get the cheap fares after 10am, not 9am.
    Nope.
    There is a minimum charge of £12 before 10am, but you can still use the railcard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Nope.
    There is a minimum charge of £12 before 10am, but you can still use the railcard
    I know that, but the chances are the OP won't be travelling anywhere on a daily basis that has a fare higher than the £12. Anyway, I was just correcting the 9am point.

ReputationRep:
    Travel expenses won't be reimbursed by SAAS in session 2011-12. The loan is increasing by £350 and that's it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.