Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The question is the following:

A "car" of mass 1800kg in an amusement park moves through the lowest part of a loop of radius 8.5m at 22ms^-1.

Draw a free body force diagram for the car at this moment and calculate the upward force of the rails on the car.

I've attached what the diagram should look like according to the answers.

The answer given is as follows:

From Newton’s second law:
    (mv^2)/r = P - mg
    ? P= m (v^2/r + g)
    P =120 kN

What I don't understand is:

- what P is... I think its supposed to be the upward force of the rails on the car.
    - Why the first bit of the answer isn't (mv^2)/r + P = mg because the centripetal force surely acts radially inwards, therefore upwards according to the diagram, and P would also act upwards...

Would really really appreciate any help that you could give me!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance !!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninachuuu)
    The question is the following:

A "car" of mass 1800kg in an amusement park moves through the lowest part of a loop of radius 8.5m at 22ms^-1.

Draw a free body force diagram for the car at this moment and calculate the upward force of the rails on the car.

I've attached what the diagram should look like according to the answers.

The answer given is as follows:

From Newton’s second law:
    (mv^2)/r = P - mg
    ? P= m (v^2/r + g)
    P =120 kN

What I don't understand is:

- what P is... I think its supposed to be the upward force of the rails on the car.
    - Why the first bit of the answer isn't (mv^2)/r + P = mg because the centripetal force surely acts radially inwards, therefore upwards according to the diagram, and P would also act upwards...

Would really really appreciate any help that you could give me!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance !!!
    mate, P is the tension in the rail that keeps the car in the circular motion..hence it is the tension that provides the centripetal force....the answer to the question is

(MV^2)/r + mg..........basically this requires you to find the resultant force on the car......solve the equation I am pointed out..that should give you the answer..keep me updated..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.