Turn on thread page Beta

How do you escalate debt-collection efforts against a "friend"? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm owed £100 from an ex-housemate, it was due to me 10 weeks ago but she keeps making excuses and basically seems to not intend to pay. This week I very clearly set her the goal of paying me by tonight.

I don't expect to get it, so what's the next step? Most of our talk has been by e-mail so far, I suppose I need to find her in person and suggest that we visit a cash machine right there and then? I'm not sure where she lives but I'm trying to find out. After Monday she's moving to another town 30 miles away and will be considerably harder to reach.

Any tips? I'm not going to start making physical threats or anything.

ReputationRep:
    What was the money for? Tell her you want your money youre owed else you'll take her to court

ReputationRep:
    It's her phone bills from when she lived with me - I pay the bills and my housemates pay me (or not).

She'll know I'm not going to court for £100, I'd spend more than that in the first five minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Citizens Advice Bureau.

costs £25 to fire of a small claims court case upto £300 which will probably terrify her into paying up and you'd get 3/4s of what you're owed http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...all_claims.htm

ReputationRep:
    Small claims court costs you nothing. If you win costs are awarded against her.BUT you may have trouble proving the debt.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    I'm owed £100 from an ex-housemate, it was due to me 10 weeks ago but she keeps making excuses and basically seems to not intend to pay. This week I very clearly set her the goal of paying me by tonight.

I don't expect to get it, so what's the next step? Most of our talk has been by e-mail so far, I suppose I need to find her in person and suggest that we visit a cash machine right there and then? I'm not sure where she lives but I'm trying to find out. After Monday she's moving to another town 30 miles away and will be considerably harder to reach.

Any tips? I'm not going to start making physical threats or anything.
    Behead her prize horse and put the head in her bed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.