Turn on thread page Beta

Most overrated and underrated universities in Britain? watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't really see how people can say Uni's are overated unless they've accepted and studies there....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Let's see where this goes.
    I subscribed just to see this...

ReputationRep:
    Underrated: Lancaster, Sussex, UEA. In fact a lot of less traditional but perfectly good unis with high standards.

I don't know about overrated specifically, but I get sick of hearing 'Russell Group' and 'elite' in the same sentence all the time in the media. There are unis outside the group that are just as good/better than those included in the group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Don't really see how people can say Uni's are overated unless they've accepted and studies there....
    Exactly this.

Unless someone has studied at lot's of different universities somehow, no-one can really say with any real evidence or anything to support their opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: KCL and UCL

Underrated: some ex-polys, Lancaster, York, Sheffield, probably others as well

Edit: A lot of neg, some people are clearly touchy about this.

ReputationRep:
    overrated = Warwick

underrated = Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    UCL/LSE overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    Most Overated: Oxbridge
    Why?

I'm not normally someone who goes around bigging Oxbridge up, because I know that courses at other unis can be just as good, if not better. I also understand that someone who works hard at another uni and has a real passion for their subject deserves to be more successful and employable than someone who goes to Oxbridge and coasts. But it still has to be recognised that Oxbridge degrees are among the best in the country for pretty much everything. For some courses, like mine, the work is simply more intense and demands more effort than almost anywhere else, ie I do a 3000-word essay every week plus other essays, seminars and reading, whilst they're doing like one or two essays a term. Surely that extra work isn't just worthless?

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about most, but Arts London is (generally speaking) massively overrated.

Oh and according to my English tutor, the University of Essex offers one of the best and most underrated literature courses in the country. He also did not rank Oxford in his top 5 for english lit, but I think that's because he's a cambridge person, so it's all a bit biased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler.)
    I have friends who go to Lancaster and majority of them have a complete different view to that.
    They say that it is over rated? It is starting to go up in league tables, but the general population don't seem to trust that, and so many people think it's an ex poly! I think people get it mixed up with UCLan, which isn't a bad uni in it's own right.

Depends on the subject though. Business management ratings and say, art ratings are going to be massively different.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can easily say "X" uni is overrated whilst "Y" and "Z" are easily underrated....it all comes down to opinion and the majority of opinions differ

This thread will simply result in fan-boys/girls/imsoacademic's of certain unis shouting "my tekkers > yours" to everyone other fan-boy/girl/imsoacademic

lowe

ReputationRep:
    Overated : Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Durham, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, St. Andrews, Edinburgh

Underated: University of the West of Scotland, Thames Valley, De Montfort, Grimsby...

Oh I appear to have made an error, I thought we were doing a thread bashing good universities while praising our own relatively poor university to boost our self esteem....

ReputationRep:
    I hate threads like these. Nobody on a student forum is going to have a non-biased view or any relevant expertise. Since nobody has studied every course at every uni, so any attept to compare is based on bias or guess work.

ReputationRep:
    From employers I've talked to who employ grduates:
    Overrated: Oxbridge, UCL, Edinburgh
    Underrated: Liverpool, Leeds, Aberdeen, and quite a few ex polys...

ReputationRep:
    Yay, everyone going to a bad uni can feel better about themselves now! Well done for failing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roloqueen)
    Why?

I'm not normally someone who goes around bigging Oxbridge up, because I know that courses at other unis can be just as good, if not better. I also understand that someone who works hard at another uni and has a real passion for their subject deserves to be more successful and employable than someone who goes to Oxbridge and coasts. But it still has to be recognised that Oxbridge degrees are among the best in the country for pretty much everything. For some courses, like mine, the work is simply more intense and demands more effort than almost anywhere else, ie I do a 3000-word essay every week plus other essays, seminars and reading, whilst they're doing like one or two essays a term. Surely that extra work isn't just worthless?
    You have to do a 3000 word essay every single week? Plus other essays and everything else? I can only imagine two ways to pull that off
    Either you have no social life, sleep the absolute minimum and probably have an extra terrestrial day of 35 hours or these essays are on simple subjects that require only a tiny bibliography and don't really mean much. I mean, seriously, my dissertation from Oxford will have to be 10.000 words and on top of that I ll have two more smaller essays (I guess around 4.000-5.000) words for the whole year, and that's a masters course. So yeah, which is it?

Warwick is ridiculously overrated, also LSE. I'd say Scottish universities tend to be underrated due to their lower entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I think Edinburgh is pretty overrated.As someone else said some ex-poly unis are pretty underrated.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that Robert Gordon in Aberdeen is pretty underrated - doesn't it have really high graduate employment rates? The only people I know that go to it though are studying Pharmacy and were rejected from Strathclyde - it seems to always be a second choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    Warwick is ridiculously overrated, also LSE. I'd say Scottish universities tend to be underrated due to their lower entry requirements.
    Warwick and LSE overrated???!!! :eek::eek:

I suspect you are ridiculously uninformed about the quality of work produced by those institutions

Have they turned you down or something?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.