Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huntercross14)
    It has to be Harvard or yale cuz i heard the are good uni on TV but i cant even find them anywhere on ucas
    I can't tell if this is extreme retardation or just a good sense of humour.

ReputationRep:
    how the **** is Warwick overrated????

Anyway SOAS is deffo underrated.

ReputationRep:
    Aston University probably underated

But depends on the department really. Like forr example staffordshire University is an awful uni but has a good law school.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is quite underrated in my humble opinion.

Ox-bridge not that bad

overrated- Bolton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    how the **** is Warwick overrated????

Anyway SOAS is deffo underrated.
    Warwick is fantastic at Maths/Economics, good for many of the arts subjects but significantly weaker at science/engineering. It isn't that overrated but it's not 3rd in the country (according to the Guardian).

ReputationRep:
    My guess is that people don't like Warwick because:

It's next to Coventry, which isn't really a bonus.

It was built in the 60s and isn't in a castle, and is therefore a crap academic institution for all the pretentious middle class children wanting to study their arts courses in a place that looks like Hogwarts.

Or people didn't manage to get an offer from Warwick, or were put off applying and now consider it overrated because they're bitter about the whole thing.

So, by the same logic:
    In my opinion, St. Andrews and Durham are overrated because I didn't get in.
    York and Warwick and underrated because they're my insurance and firm choices on UCAS.

Honestly children. What does it matter? As long as you get a good degree from a good institution, it's irrelevant which uni is better, or which one is overrated.
    And the reputation of the department is much more important than overall reputation. The reason I didn't apply to study physics at UCL is because compared to the places I mentioned above, it's mediocre, despite being considered one of the best universities in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: Imperial

Underrated: Kings

ReputationRep:
    I know this thread is getting a bit out of date now, however I wanted to point out that the age old argument "An Oxbridge/Durham/Warwick/UCL graduate will always get hired over someone from a less prestigious university" that many people have posted about is definitely a myth.
    I was recently involved in interviewing new teachers for my school. There was a Cambridge graduate, a Durham graduate, and graduates from Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, Sheffield as well as a few others. The Cambridge and the Durham graduates didn't get hired where as the two from Newcastle and Birmingham did. This just shows that employers hire people based on merit of the actual person, rather than just where they got their degree. I have nothing against top universities, I just wanted to point out that it's not the end of the day if you don't make it to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Warwick is fantastic at Maths/Economics, good for many of the arts subjects but significantly weaker at science/engineering. It isn't that overrated but it's not 3rd in the country (according to the Guardian).
    It is 3rd in the country on the Guardian's. It's generally between 3rd and 7th I think.

ReputationRep:
    Overated:

Exeter
    Durham
    Kings
    York
    Warwick
    Loughborough
    SOAS

Underated;

Liverpool
    Southampton
    UEA
    Manchester
    Newcastle
    Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Fish)
    Overated:

Exeter
    Durham
    Kings
    York
    Warwick
    Loughborough
    SOAS

^^Didn't get any offers from these

Underated;

Liverpool
    Southampton
    UEA
    Manchester
    Newcastle
    Sheffield

^^Got offers from these
    bleaurgh

ReputationRep:
    Underrated: Oxford Brookes, Anglia Ruskin

Overrated: Oxford, Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Some people are thick as S***.

SOASS only does oriental and african studies.

In UK only a dozen of so Unis even offer these courses.

Thus what is so good about being 5/12 ?

SOASS needs to be compared to its real peers offering comparable courses.

That would be no contest.

A native uni studying its own culture is going to kick ASS anyday.

Nobody is going to convince me that ASS is better than say Taiwan national U or Beijing U for Chinese studies.

Same ASS vs Witts on I don't know ... Zulu culture.

That's why ASS is bogus and overrated.

Warwick is also bogus cause it is ' famous ' nothing more than a good hiring policy for maths and econs ( though this doubted as they are too far from the action to be really relevant ).

It also falsely implicates that the other 60s unis cannot do the same which is Bllxs, even an ex poly could hiring the best mathematicians around if it had the budget.

Too much hype and too little substance

Ans finally as if Durham is anything but a Oxbridge wannabe, with emphasis firmly on the wannabe, so much so in fact that is really in the bottom half of the 2nd tier.

Suck it trollers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    Warwick is also bogus cause it is ' famous ' nothing more than a good hiring policy for maths and econs ( though this doubted as they are too far from the action to be really relevant ).

It also falsely implicates that the other 60s unis cannot do the same which is Bllxs, even an ex poly could hiring the best mathematicians around if it had the budget.

Too much hype and too little substance
    You are actually **** at writing.

Let's look at some SW stats (as these are the newest to come out):

University TOTAL
    Oxford 60
    Warwick 50
    Cambridge 48
    LSE 48
    UCL 29
    Imperial 16

More specifically

JPM IBD:

Warwick 10
    Oxford 6
    Cambridge 6
    UCL 4
    LSE 3
    HEC 3
    Durham 3
    Imperial 2

Raw stats, or your opinions.. Too little substance? Hmm.. Just leave, you contribute nothing to this forum

ReputationRep:
    You mean

" You are actually writing **** ". not other way around yeah ?

These IB stats if they are real.

What does IB have to do with being overrated ?

Face it, most TSR thinks Warwick is overrated BS.

If you don't like reading it the F'g do something about it - change or go to another U.

How thick people are.

ReputationRep:
    i have got offers from unis which you guys said overrated; Durham and underrated; sheffield and UEA in translation studies.

Great, now I am even 'more decisive'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthonyphw)
    i have got offers from unis which you guys said overrated; Durham and underrated; sheffield and UEA in translation studies.

Great, now I am even 'more decisive'...
    I wouldn't be worried about the vast majority of people's views on TSR in regards to which universities are under/overrated.

Go to the one which you will be happiest at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astarkid)
    I know this thread is getting a bit out of date now, however I wanted to point out that the age old argument "An Oxbridge/Durham/Warwick/UCL graduate will always get hired over someone from a less prestigious university" that many people have posted about is definitely a myth.
    I was recently involved in interviewing new teachers for my school. There was a Cambridge graduate, a Durham graduate, and graduates from Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, Sheffield as well as a few others. The Cambridge and the Durham graduates didn't get hired where as the two from Newcastle and Birmingham did. This just shows that employers hire people based on merit of the actual person, rather than just where they got their degree. I have nothing against top universities, I just wanted to point out that it's not the end of the day if you don't make it to Oxbridge.
    It's always been different with teaching though as they place more emphasis on the lesson & interview. Its the private sector that is more snobby about where you go.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at UCL, not sure if it makes it overrated but it's definitely more research than teaching led, in my subject at least they just put the lecture slides and recordings online. There's a surprisingly high number of people who don't seem that smart either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visa)
    I'm at UCL, not sure if it makes it overrated but it's definitely more research than teaching led, in my subject at least they just put the lecture slides and recordings online. There's a surprisingly high number of people who don't seem that smart either.
    I hate some of my lecturers... Ridiculously useless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.