Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Read wat I wrote below in a different post.

And its spelt 'SOAS' not SOASS :confused:
    SO ?

SO What ?

SOASS ?

LOL !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spurswilts)
    Cos Warwick people are insufferable :P e.g. constantly bringing up league tables at the pub when no one gives a crap lol
    Wow, you know all of them? Amazing. Funny as the ones I know aren't like that at all. I don't study at Warwick, have never applied to Warwick, have no plans to go to Warwick, just wanted to state this isn't accurate about the Warwick people I know. I admit I don't know them all and some might be just like this.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to see which are the most overrated Universities in the UK by comparing the domestic league tables with the Global League tables.

Overrated: Universities that regularly top the Domestic charts, and are almost forgotten in the global ones, such as Durham, Warwick, Southampton

Underrated: Manchester, Edinburgh. They do very good in global ones, but the Graudian and Sunday Times regularly forget they exist, too.

Aside from that, I cannot express an opinion since I haven't attended any of these, and this is purely out of observation. :lollypop:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)

The SOAS haters are a good example. Whenever you see someone, at one of the London institutions, going on about "well my institution IS better than SOAS!" as evidence of how good their university is....seriously nobody outside of the University of London cares! But you see this a disproportionate amount of time on the internet, especially from students at UCL or KCL, they always want to tell you that their institution is better than SOAS lol.
    I wouldn't say that claiming King's or UCL is better than SOAS is necessarily SOAS hating, per se. You're probably right that no-one outside the UoL cares, but given that before I went to university I had never heard of SOAS there is probably more than one explanation for the apathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReBee)
    It's easy to see which are the most overrated Universities in the UK by comparing the domestic league tables with the Global League tables.

Overrated: Universities that regularly top the Domestic charts, and are almost forgotten in the global ones, such as Durham, Warwick, Southampton

Underrated: Manchester, Edinburgh. They do very good in global ones, but the Graudian and Sunday Times regularly forget they exist, too.

Aside from that, I cannot express an opinion since I haven't attended any of these, and this is purely out of observation. :lollypop:
    What makes you think the world ranking are a better representation of Universities, as compared to domestic rankings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack McGill)
    What makes you think the world ranking are a better representation of Universities, as compared to domestic rankings?
    The fact that the international league tables are league tables for the sake of being league tables, for one - instead of a newspaper offshoot.

For a second, national rankings base too many of their criteria on -feedback-, whether that's from students or teachers, which is bound to be more subjective than the actual facts and figures international rankings use. Feedback is definitely USEFUL, but it's not academic, due to it being subjective. It is useful in that you want to go to a university with a high "teaching quality" (as assessed by students) and "feedback quality" (as assessed by students) and "student satisfaction" (as assessed by students, and satisfaction is not only determined by the university, but also the city it is in). But the fact that they're useful does not make them academic measures or criteria.

Third, I did not presume to mean that was my opinion, but at least what I said is based on facts, and not perceptions. As you may have inferred, I was obviously referring to "overrated" and "underrated" in terms of academia.

ReputationRep:
    Quickly skimmed through the last few pages. I may be biased but I really don't think Warwick is overrated and they don't suffer in all the global rankings. Once you have a degree all that really matters is how highly employers regard it and in this respect, Warwick excel at a global scale. The university has been placed joint 4th in the world alongside universities such as Yale, Melbourne, LSE, Columbia and Stanford in the QS World University Rankings by employer reputation which saw 16,785 global employers rank universities. You can read more about how it's ranked through this link if you're interested. http://www.iu.qs.com/projects-and-se...vey-responses/
    "Responses are closely scrutinized and weighted to eliminate biases that may result from disproportionate response levels."

The league table itself:
    http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...mployer-review

They also come 50th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2011/12 which is a great achievement for such a young university in my opinion. http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2011

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    Underrated: Lancaster, Sussex, UEA. In fact a lot of less traditional but perfectly good unis with high standards.

I don't know about overrated specifically, but I get sick of hearing 'Russell Group' and 'elite' in the same sentence all the time in the media. There are unis outside the group that are just as good/better than those included in the group.
    The Russell Group is regarded as the pool of research intensive universities with the most resources and influence on higher education. One should aim to go to one of these if at all possible (Bath, St Andrews aside), as they are a notch better than anything else. The likes of Lancaster, Leicester etc are not underrated, they are simply not quite as good as those in the Russell Group, and in some cases (i.e. the G5) nowhere near as good. That is not to say you can't do well in your career if you don't get into the elite Russell Group, as one of the top professors in Biosciences at Nottingham did both his degrees at UEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack McGill)
    I think domestic rankings have their role, but have you seen how wildly some university rankings jump year over year on the domestic tables. And some of their criteria don't make sense, like using # of 1:1s and 2:1s to determine ranking. So basically if a uni just wants to improve their ranking they just need to give out more 1sts? No wonder there is grade inflation in uni.

People in the US trust the US News and World Report because they are pretty stable. World rankings tend to be a bit more stable. They have their own problems as they are very english-speaking uni focused due to the big highly cited journals being in english, and they obviously can't objectively look at teaching (teaching is different all over the world).

But yeah, if a uni can drop 7+ places in a single year which routinely happens in the domestic tables, i take them with a grain of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazydavy)
    Quickly skimmed through the last few pages. I may be biased but I really don't think Warwick is overrated and they don't suffer in all the global rankings. Once you have a degree all that really matters is how highly employers regard it and in this respect, Warwick excel at a global scale. The university has been placed joint 4th in the world alongside universities such as Yale, Melbourne, LSE, Columbia and Stanford in the QS World University Rankings by employer reputation which saw 16,785 global employers rank universities. You can read more about how it's ranked through this link if you're interested. http://www.iu.qs.com/projects-and-se...vey-responses/
    "Responses are closely scrutinized and weighted to eliminate biases that may result from disproportionate response levels."

The league table itself:
    http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...mployer-review

They also come 50th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2011/12 which is a great achievement for such a young university in my opinion. http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2011
    Warwick is doing well, but you can't use age as a handicap. When it comes to universities there is no such thing as pity because they are young. Yes, i'm a hypocrite because i go to st andrews.

Warwick is good in its specialized fields and that is great and I believe it is a top 10 uni and top 5 in finance, econ and maths, but sometimes especially on this forum people treat investment banking as the be all and end all of uni when it clearly isn't. Yes, if your school is good at econ it should be known for that, but that doesn't mean the entire school is amazing either and you really do see people say that sometimes.

Also your first 2 links didn't work for me, at least they didn't point me into the right direction.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    University is what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    Salford is underrated....hahaha who am i kidding, it's ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukmed108)
    Warwick is doing well, but you can't use age as a handicap. When it comes to universities there is no such thing as pity because they are young. Yes, i'm a hypocrite because i go to st andrews.

Warwick is good in its specialized fields and that is great and I believe it is a top 10 uni and top 5 in finance, econ and maths, but sometimes especially on this forum people treat investment banking as the be all and end all of uni when it clearly isn't. Yes, if your school is good at econ it should be known for that, but that doesn't mean the entire school is amazing either and you really do see people say that sometimes.

Also your first 2 links didn't work for me, at least they didn't point me into the right direction.
    I agree that you can't use age to justify rankings. I didn't particularly make that argument since Warwick has always done consistently well, having never been outside the top ten of all the major rankings (the Complete University Guide, The Guardian and The Times). I was commenting that Warwick has done well to have been placed 50th in the world by QS because young universities often suffer in these rankings. They are currently 64th in the 2013 rankings (http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=).

Warwick is also a strong contender in fields you have not mentioned (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandeve...league_table1/).

Warwick is doing well but they definitely have room for improvement. Especially within my school which is life sciences. Those links don't work by the way because that post is from over two years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    I think they will, yes.

I cannot speak for anywhere other than where i study (Plymouth) But 2010-2011 plymouth moved like 10-15 places in the tables, and one guide i have seen for 2011-2012 suggests a similar increase.

Lot's of these universities are fairly 'new' compared to the oldies, thus they should (in peoples eyes) be given time to shine ;D
    Even if they did, ex-polys will still be inferior to the traditional universities. Nobody in the professional world cares about media league tables, they are just there to keep uninformed students occupied. The tradition and RAE assessment ratings matter a million times more for university reputation. Russell Group membership is also important.

With the possible exception of doing a course like Pharmacy or Optometry, I'd rather not go to uni at all than attend a former poly. The stigma of going to a 3rd rate uni would haunt me forever. I'd rather work full time and train for CIMA or something. On the upside, people who get a 2.1. from an ex-poly often do a masters at Russell Group uni to make up for lost ground, and it works a treat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mansun)
    Even if they did, ex-polys will still be inferior to the traditional universities. Nobody in the professional world cares about media league tables, they are just there to keep uninformed students occupied. The tradition and RAE assessment ratings matter a million times more for university reputation. Russell Group membership is also important.

Wth the possible exception of doing a course like Pharmacy or Optometry, I'd rather not go to uni at all than attend a former poly. The stigma of going to a 3rd rate uni would haunt me forever. I'd rather work full time and train for CIMA or something. On the upside, people who get a 2.1. from an ex-poly often do a masters at Russell Group uni to make up for lost ground, and it works a treat.
    What university do/did you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    What university do/did you go to?
    BSc at Nottingham, MSc at Birkbeck. Though I turned down UCL for BSc due to expense of London, and Imperial for MSc as I wanted to keep my fulltime job, and evening study was the only option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    So you are going to a crappy second rate university then. You really shouldn't attack other universities if you went somewhere like Nottungham.
    I don't need to defend the rep of Nottingham, but the uni is the third most applied for uni in the UK, and has among the most number (not percentage) of private school kids going there, more than Durham and St Andrews. The uni also has a Medical school, Vet school, and top rated Pharmacy, Psychology, Law and Economics departments. And the campuses are a dream. Nottingham was also ranked 7th in the last government commissioned RAE exercise, which proves it has many world class rated departments.

Granted, Nottingham is not Oxbridge, but students who go to Nottingham are lucky, they know they are at an excellent university, and the uni itself has poured money into making facilities even better year on year. It is the envy of any university in that regard. The campuses in Malaysia and China are also brilliant.

According to Oxford, a Russell Group uni like Nottingham would be considered tier 1, Birkbeck tier 2, and ex-polys tier 3. They rank unis this way when they receive applications from graduates for their masters courses.

As I said, at least ex-poly graduates can top up with a masters at a better uni, which a few of my previous work colleagues did. That made things great again for them in competitive careers. To all those Notts Trent students, yes I am aware their Law department is top class, and works in partnership with Nottingham for the Law conversion course.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham actually has 30.5% of students from a private school background, just pipped by Exeter. Leeds is down at 26.9%, Manchester at 21.9%. Durham at 40.8%. So it turns out that Nottingham as quite a few more private schools kids by number than Leeds, Manchester, and even Durham.

| Rank | University | Percentage of students from independent schools | | :---: | --- | :---: | |1| Courtauld Institute of Art| 54.1%| |2| Royal Agricultural College| 53.7%| |3| Royal College of Music| 50.9%| |4| The University of Oxford| 45.7%| |5| Royal Academy of Music| 43.1%| |6| University of Durham| 40.8%| |7| The University of Cambridge| 40.7%| |8| The University of St Andrews| 40.6%| |9| The University of Bristol| 39.1%| |10| Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine|36.9%| |11| University College London| 34.7%| |12| The University of Exeter| 31.9%| |13| The University of Nottingham| 30.5%| |14| Guildhall School of Music and Drama| 30%| |15| The University of Edinburgh| 29.6%| |16| London School of Economics and Political Science| 29.2%| |17| King's College London| 28.7%| |18| The University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne| 28.5%| |19| Oxford Brookes University| 27.6%| |20| The University of Leeds|26.9%| |21| The University of Bath| 25.8%| |22| Royal Northern College of Music| 25.6%| |23| The University of Warwick| 25.3%| |24| Heythrop College| 23.4%| |25| The School of Oriental and African Studies|22.5%| |26| The University of Birmingham| 22.4%| |27| The University of Manchester| 21.9%| |28| The University of York| 20.9%| |29| The University of Aberdeen| 20.5%| |30| The Royal Veterinary College| 19.7%| |31| Loughborough University| 18.4%| |32| Edinburgh College of Art| 18.4%| |33| Royal Holloway and Bedford New College|18.3%| |34| Harper Adams University College|18%| |35| Glasgow School of Art|17.3%| |36| St George's Hospital Medical School| 16.6%| |37| The University of Reading| 16.2%| |38| Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance| 15.6%| |39| The University of Southampton| 15.5%| |40| The University of Buckingham| 15.4%| |41| Cardiff University|14.9%| |42| The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama| 14.9%| |43| Queen Mary and Westfield College|14.7%| |44| The University of Liverpool| 14.4%| |45| The University of Sheffield|14%| |46| Conservatoire for Dance and Drama| 13%| |47| The University of Glasgow|12.7%| |48| The University of Sussex| 12%| |49| The University of Leicester|11.2%| |50| The University of Dundee|11%| |51|Central School of Speech and Drama| 10.4%| |52| University of the West of England, Bristol|10.4%| |53| The University of East Anglia|10.1%| |54| The School of Pharmacy | 9.7%| |55| The City University| 9.6%| |56| Leeds College of Music| 9.6%| |57| Aston University|9.4%| |58| The Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts| 9.3%| |59| Goldsmiths College| 9%| |60| The University of Keele|8.8%| |61| The University of Northumbria at Newcastle| 8.7%| |62| The University of Lancaster|8.6%| |63| The University of Surrey|8.6%| |64| Herio-Watt University| 8%| |65| The University of Kent|7.7%| |66| University of the Arts, London|7.7%| |67| Swansea University|7.7%| |68| The University of Strathclyde| 7.5%| |69| The University of Hull| 7.3%| |70| The University of Brighton| 7.1%| |71| The Robert Gordon University| 7%| |72| Leeds Metropolitan University| 6.7%| |73| St Mary's University College, Twickenham|6.6%| |74| The University of Wales, Lampeter| 6.6%| |75| The University of Plymouth| 6.5%| |76| The Nottingham Trent University|6.4%| |77| The University of Bradford| 6.2%| |78| Brunel University|6.2%| |79| Bournemouth University| 6.1%| |80| The University of Stirling|5.9%| |81| Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh| 5.5%| |82| Bath Spa University|5.2%| |83| Roehampton University| 4.9%| |84| The University of Portsmouth| 4.8%| |85| The University of Westminster| 4.7%| |86| York St John University| 4.7%| |87| University of Gloucestershire|4.6%| |88| The Manchester Metropolitan University| 4.6%| |89| Aberystwyth University| 4.5%| |90| Bangor University| 4.5%| |91| University of Wales Institute, Cardiff| 4.5%| |92| Glasgow Caledonian University|4.5%| |93| Liverpool John Moores University| 4.4%| |94| Edinburgh Napier University| 4.2%| |95| University College Plymouth St Mark and St John| 4.1%| |96| Writtle College|4.1%| |97| University of Abertay Dundee|3.9%| |98| Rose Bruford College| 3.8%| |99| University College Birmingham| 3.7%| |100| University College Falmouth|3.7%| |101| London Metropolitan University| 3.6%| |102| The University of Essex| 3.5%| |103| Kingston University|3.5%| |104| Anglia Ruskin University| 3.4%| |105| Canterbury Christ Church University| 3.4%| |106| Buckinghamshire New University| 3.3%| |107| The University of Chichester| 3.3%| |108| The University of Winchester| 3.3%| |109| Coventry University| 3.2%| |110| Southampton Solent University| 3.2%| |111| Leeds Trinity University College|3%| |112| The Arts University College at Bournemouth| 2.9%| |113| University of Hertfordshire|2.9%| |114| Sheffield Hallam University|2.9%| |115| The University of Worcester| 2.9%| |116| Birmingham City University| 2.8%| |117| Norwich University College of the Arts| 2.7%| |118| Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln| 2.6%| |119| The University of Greenwich| 2.6%| |120| The University of Salford| 2.6%| |121| The University of Sunderland|2.6%| |122| University of Cumbria| 2.5%| |123| The University of Lincoln| 2.5%| |124| University for the Creative Arts| 2.4%| |125| University of Chester| 2.3%| |126| The University of Northampton| 2.3%| |127| London South Bank University| 2.2%| |128| Staffordshire University| 2.2%| |129| Thames Valley University| 2.2%| |130| De Montfort University|2.1%| |131| The University of Huddersfield|2.1%| |132| University of Derby| 1.9%| |133| The University of Teesside| 1.9%| |134| The University of East London|1.8%| |135| Middlesex University| 1.8%| |136| University of Glamorgan| 1.7%| |137| Ravensbourne|1.6%| |138| The University of the West of Scotland| 1.6%| |139| The Queen's University of Belfast| 1.6%| |140| University of Bedfordshire|1.5%| |141| The University of Bolton|1.4%| |142| The University of Central Lancashire|1.4%| |143| Liverpool Hope University| 1.4%| |144| Swansea Metropolitan University|1.4%| |145| Edge Hill University| 1.2%| |146| The University of Wolverhampton| 1.2%| |147| The University of Wales, Newport| 1.2%| |148| TrinUniversity College|1.1%| |149| UHI Millennium Institute| 1.1%| |150| University Campus Suffolk| 0.8%| |151| Newman University College| 0.6%| |152| Stranmillis University College|0.5%| |153| Glyndŵr University|0.3%| |154| University of Ulster| 0.1%| |155| St Mary's University College| 0%|[ Data supplied by HESA. League compiled by studentbeans.com]

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie678)
    Why do people say Durham is overrated?
    I am applying there next year and want to know why?
    My mum works for Durham and I say it is overrated because they have pretty crappy facilities (like some of the class rooms are horrendous) and also the city may be beautiful but it is very boring after a while. Still a good uni though I just think for the amount of prestige it has it should make a bit more of an effort.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.