Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    Most overrated: King's college

Most Underrated: UEA (not that i'm biased or anything :P)

This is just judging on how I've seen them though and not on reputation.

WOW. Obviously have angered alot of people on this thread.

I think KCL mat be overrated globally but locally I think they've had their day and they are about right ? between 15 - 20 ?

UEA was underrated but inside the top 20 in all domestics makes that makes them rated but not underrated or are you saying they should be even higher ?

I agree with you about the anger, a bit of a shock for a TSR newcomer. is it always like this or just my bad luck ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReBee)
    The fact that the international league tables are league tables for the sake of being league tables, for one - instead of a newspaper offshoot.

Global ranks are for Phds not taught courses. The criteria is almost purely based on research and amount of international staff / students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    SO ?

SO What ?

SOASS ?

LOL !
    Hahaha god sake

(Original post by TurboCretin)
    I wouldn't say that claiming King's or UCL is better than SOAS is necessarily SOAS hating, per se. You're probably right that no-one outside the UoL cares, but given that before I went to university I had never heard of SOAS there is probably more than one explanation for the apathy.
    SOAS is just a small institution. It used to be a small institution tucked into a corner of Bloomsbury. Now its a small institution tucked into Senate House!!!!

Probably why nobody hears of it much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    Salford is underrated....hahaha who am i kidding, it's ****.
    Can't speak for the other departments but the civil engineering is regarded with lot of respect from industries apparently. It also has a good reputation with material physics.

My answer to the OP. Every single non Russel group/polytechnic that has a department/s that are well regarded by industry.

ReputationRep:
    University is overrated.

ReputationRep:
    Most overrated: Warwick, Lancaster.

Most underrated: Manchester, Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    Bolton and London Met are definitely the two big avoids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13cats)
    My mum works for Durham and I say it is overrated because they have pretty crappy facilities (like some of the class rooms are horrendous) and also the city may be beautiful but it is very boring after a while. Still a good uni though I just think for the amount of prestige it has it should make a bit more of an effort.
    You do realise that post was from three years ago, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13cats)
    My mum works for Durham and I say it is overrated because they have pretty crappy facilities (like some of the class rooms are horrendous) and also the city may be beautiful but it is very boring after a while. Still a good uni though I just think for the amount of prestige it has it should make a bit more of an effort.
    That is what happens when a university chases the rankings rather than invest money on state of the art facilities. Those at Nottingham and UCL are fantastic. Durham is massively overrated, and the traditional factor it holds with middle aged folk over equally good unis like Nottingham and Manchester is laughable. Nobody overseas has heard of Durham, and everyone in South East Asia and China knows Nottingham. St Andrews is also overrated, it has never been seen as a top 10 UK university in England, that place goes to Edinburgh.

In my view, most universities are not overrated or underrated, they get rated as they are on merit, which is their overall reputation over many decades. Ex-polys simply don't have the reputation for producing top brass graduates capable of running the country, working in investment banking, and working at the top Law Chambers (Notts Trent Law School aside).

Domestic league tables are also amusing, they don't measure the prestige of a university a jot. I'd much rather attend any Russell Group university than UEA, Lancaster, Leicester, Surrey etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollywood Hogan)
    That is what happens when a university chases the rankings rather than invest money on state of the art facilities. Those at Nottingham and UCL are fantastic. Durham is massively overrated, and the traditional factor it holds with middle aged folk over equally good unis like Nottingham and Manchester is laughable. Nobody overseas has heard of Durham, and everyone in South East Asia and China knows Nottingham. St Andrews is also overrated, it has never been seen as a top 10 UK university in England, that place goes to Edinburgh.

In my view, most universities are not overrated or underrated, they get rated as they are on merit, which is their overall reputation over many decades. Ex-polys simply don't have the reputation for producing top brass graduates capable of running the country, working in investment banking, and working at the top Law Chambers (Notts Trent Law School aside).

Domestic league tables are also amusing, they don't measure the prestige of a university a jot. I'd much rather attend any Russell Group university than UEA, Lancaster, Leicester, Surrey etc.
    Fantastic facilities at UCL? Everyone in South East Asia and China knows Nottingham? Really?

Oh I forgot, you went to both unis, that's why you are a little bit biased here I also studied at UCL, even if I was very happy with my overall experience there, I can't really say that facilities are fantastic. Sometimes we had to sit down on the floor during tutorials as there were not enough chairs. One day we even had a lecture in the Haldane room...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandreFrance)
    Fantastic facilities at UCL? Everyone in South East Asia and China knows Nottingham? Really?

Oh I forgot, you went to both unis, that's why you are a little bit biased here I also studied at UCL, even if I was very happy with my overall experience there, I can't really say that facilities are fantastic. Sometimes we had to sit down on the floor during tutorials as there were not enough chairs. One day we even had a lecture in the Haldane room...
    Don't **** off your own uni in public you fool, they should take your degree certificate off you for this.

ReputationRep:
    Don't **** off your own uni in public you fool, they should take your degree certificate off you for this.

I think he should be lauded for that and you should be labelled a fraud.

UCL is jammed full of overseas students. You really think Drayton house is good ? LOL it's like grimey old comp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrkl)
    I think he should be lauded for that and you should be labelled a fraud.

UCL is jammed full of overseas students. You really think Drayton house is good ? LOL it's like grimey old comp.
    You keep your nose out of this. I see an image of Obelix giving you a biff on the nose into the next world as I say this.

ReputationRep:

If you think people in China have heard of Nottingham you are a fool. The only people who know Nottingham are those who live near its multiple overseas campuses.

For the record this person did his UG at Nottingham and is now doing a part-time masters at UCL. Take his word with a grain of salt.

Hollywood Hogan, it is never lauded when a person can't keep his own personal biases to himself.

ReputationRep:
    Sevorly ondarated: london met
    Sevorly ovarated: oxblidge

london met is a top uni, this is comming from a london met student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmisThysia)
    You do realise that post was from three years ago, right?
    Someone got into Durham with 3 btecs that says a lot ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: Edinburgh
    Underrated: Heriot-Watt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shoot The Breeze)
    Underrated: Heriot-Watt

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heriot Watt take anybody at postgraduate level, they are mediocre, bottom end of graduate market.

ReputationRep:
    Heriot Watt take anybody at postgraduate level, they are mediocre, bottom end of graduate market.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/educati...ence-1-2552439

And they're on the TV quite often due to their outstanding research being newsworthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Very impersonal

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.