Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In regards to Oxbridge, I wouldn't say it's overrated as such, I mean lets be honest, a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is one of the best degrees you can have in this country, even on a worldwide scale. There is no denying the fact that they are very good universities, but by some people they are held so much more highly above anything else. To them, it's Oxbridge or nothing. There are numerous very good universities in the UK, but the sheer prestige Oxbridge holds makes it seem like the most important thing in life to some people.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: Durham, York, Manchester, St Andrew's, Bath, Loughborough, Bristol, Queen Mary, Aston, Leeds, Sheffield.

Underrated: Queen's Belfast, Liverpool, SOAS, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Newcastle, Birmingham, Leicester,

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is underated if anything, it's a top uni easily as good as LSE and UCL and is fast approaching Oxbridge.
    All the ex polys are overated. Just because it's called Coventry University, it doesn't mean it's a place of academic excellence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    Warwick is underated if anything, it's a top uni easily as good as LSE and UCL and is fast approaching Oxbridge.
    All the ex polys are overated. Just because it's called Coventry University, it doesn't mean it's a place of academic excellence.
    I'd rephrase that and say it's easily as good as LSE, UCL and Oxbridge (in some subject areas at least).

I don't think anyone has ever really paraded the ex-polys as centres of academic excellence. Obviously the people who go to them like them and I guess in the end not everybody will get the chance for whatever reason to attend some of the "higher rated" universities and for some going to Manchester Met may well be the best of their ability and that should be celebrated just as much as say Rupert from Eton who got a scholarship to Trinity College, Cambridge.

Also another for the underrated list: Buckingham.

It has begun to appear in league tables now and I think is rated at 20 and has the 2nd best accounting and finance department in the country.

What works against it is probably the fact that it's a private university although the fees you'd pay to go there probably pale now in comparison to the rise in tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    You have to do a 3000 word essay every single week? Plus other essays and everything else? I can only imagine two ways to pull that off
    Either you have no social life, sleep the absolute minimum and probably have an extra terrestrial day of 35 hours or these essays are on simple subjects that require only a tiny bibliography and don't really mean much. I mean, seriously, my dissertation from Oxford will have to be 10.000 words and on top of that I ll have two more smaller essays (I guess around 4.000-5.000) words for the whole year, and that's a masters course. So yeah, which is it?
    Erm, neither. I spend four days skim-reading about 15 articles and books for the weekly essay and spend a day writing it. Plus a day a week for seminar prep. I tend to end up going out or chilling maybe 3 nights a week, working most other days and evenings and having at least one whole day off. There's usually at least one all-nighter a week involved. It's perfectly possible to balance it all, although admittedly sleep is the bit that sometimes gets left out. It's true that you never have time to become an expert on your essay-subjects, especially as they tend to be quite broad and each one equates to a whole topic, eg Was there really an industrial revolution in Britain? How successful was Charlemagne? They mostly expect you to have mastered the historiographical debates rather than to have analysed lots of primary source material, so it's a very different style of learning to a Masters - more about synthesizing lots of information quickly and critically than doing grass-roots research.

ReputationRep:
    warwick is overrated and middle of the pack for anything except maths and business no matter what league tables say, even ignoring the fact that coventry itself is a hole that no one sane would want to spend four years of their life in.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated's Oxbridge. Not by everyone, just the prats that think everywhere else is worthless, wher they're held as some sort of holy grail.

Underrated, generally the plate glass unis. Oh, and Keele definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    In regards to Oxbridge, I wouldn't say it's overrated as such, I mean lets be honest, a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is one of the best degrees you can have in this country, even on a worldwide scale. There is no denying the fact that they are very good universities, but by some people they are held so much more highly above anything else. To them, it's Oxbridge or nothing. There are numerous very good universities in the UK, but the sheer prestige Oxbridge holds makes it seem like the most important thing in life to some people.
    Yes I agree with this.

I also think there's an exaggeration about the calibre of Oxbridgers compared to students from other universities. Oxbridgers are good, otherwise they wouldn't have got in, but there is an element of a lottery when it comes to selecting between large volumes of students who have all got high academic grades, good ECs etc and a lot don't get in who would have done well if they are there.

But I think sometimes some Oxbridgers who get in like to talk about the concept that they got in because there's "just something a bit different about them" that "shone through at interview" and those who end up getting straight As, getting 1sts at other institutions, were the ones who "just didn't quite have that lateral way of thinking". Thats a load of crap IMO, as with everything where there is high competition there are two elements, being good ENOUGH, and then having a bit of luck on the day which gets you through the door.

To be fair I have not seen this from Oxbridge graduates who I know in real life, I've only ever seen it on the internet, on sites like this, and on newspaper websites whenever there is any discussion of HE you will get one or two people who claim they graduated from Oxbridge, and start making provocative posts like "a 2:2 from Oxbridge is way ahead of a 1st from a mediocre institution like UCL". So the culprits may be either people who didn't get in Oxbridge and just want to pretend on the internet that they did, or they might be Oxbridge haters trying to satirise the Oxbridge stereotype to make everybody hate them.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: UCL, King's, Bristol,

Not quite sure about underrated ones ...

ReputationRep:
    Warwick and Loughborough are hella overrated. Moderators....Im not sure if I am allowed to namedrop other websites but they are literally unknown on College Confidential which is sorta like the US version this Student Room. Its confusing when I see their students brag about how famous they are in my lurking days. Maybe Im lost? Underrated for me is Imperial College. It gets a lot of praise yes but its still awe inspiring to see some of their fellows and scholars. I feel honored to have studied there but onwards and upwards! But hey even with overrated colleges there are good points. I think every college in Britain has its own strenghts and weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    Most underrated: The uni which I want to put as my firm

Most overrated: The Uni which I will end up putting as my firm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResearchCalTch)
    Warwick and Loughborough are hella overrated. Moderators....Im not sure if I am allowed to namedrop other websites but they are literally unknown on College Confidential which is sorta like the US version this Student Room. Its confusing when I see their students brag about how famous they are in my lurking days. Maybe Im lost? Underrated for me is Imperial College. It gets a lot of praise yes but its still awe inspiring to see some of their fellows and scholars. I feel honored to have studied there but onwards and upwards! But hey even with overrated colleges there are good points. I think every college in Britain has its own strenghts and weaknesses.

So you define a university's prestige by how well known it is on some internet forum amongst a pool of web-users?

There I was thinking prestige was based on teaching quality, research output, opinions from peers and fellow academics etc.

ReputationRep:
    I can now see why so many people have mentioned Warwick so many times. Look at its students saying that its easily as good as UCL and LSE. Cut the BS and the PR buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Overated: Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham

Underated: KCL, Lancaster, Cass Business School, Glasgow, Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any university is particularly underrated, more over looked. Every University has their strengths and weaknesses.

At the end of the day, the majority of people are happy at whatever university they end up at. Regardless of whether people think it's over or underrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spurswilts)
    Cos Warwick people are insufferable :P e.g. constantly bringing up league tables at the pub when no one gives a crap lol
    And you base your whole opinion of the university on that?

ReputationRep:
    I would say that Bolton is definitely the most underrated.

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths is so overrated. It's a glorified community college.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, have run afoul of the tsr warwick neg squad. let me try again:

overrated: any good research university with strengths in subjects other than business
    underrated: st poly upon hull, warwick, sir alan sugar business university of business and other well rounded degrees, northern grimsville institute of technology, warwick, anywhere in scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    Overated: Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham

Underated: KCL, Lancaster, Cass Business School, Glasgow, Edinburgh
    King's and Edinburgh certainly aren't under rated by anybody in the know.

If anything I'd say Cass is over rated. way over!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.