Turn on thread page Beta

Most overrated and underrated universities in Britain? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To break away from the subject of the thread, why is Warwick called Warwick if it is in Coventry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    To break away from the subject of the thread, why is Warwick called Warwick if it is in Coventry?
    Because nobody wants to be associated with Coventry.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by BigV)
    This.

And to fool all the coventry yobs. If they realized there was some place of learning in their city then they would smash it. Calling it Warwick confuses them enough to keep it safe from harm.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by BigV)

(Original post by S129439)
    This.

And to fool all the coventry yobs. If they realized there was some place of learning in their city then they would smash it. Calling it Warwick confuses them enough to keep it safe from harm.
    Or it's because it is closer to warwickshire than coventry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    But it's not even in Warwickshire, let alone Warwick. It sits on the outskirts of Coventry.

It seems strange to name a university after a town that it's not even in.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people say Durham is overrated?
    I am applying there next year and want to know why?

ReputationRep:
    Anything established after 1960 is generally underrated compared to anything established prior.

ReputationRep:
    But it's not even in Warwickshire, let alone Warwick. It sits on the outskirts of Coventry.

It seems strange to name a university after a town that it's not even in.
    Was called that because of it being in the county of Warwickshire in the past.

Coventry used to be part of that county but it isn't now.. so i guess it used to make sense, but doesnt now

ReputationRep:
    overrated - oxbridge/imperial college/manchester

underrated - soas/liverpool/exeter/oxford brookes

ReputationRep:
    I think Warwick university is overrated as a whole- it is excellent for Maths and Economics but for everything else it is no better than any other Russell Group uni. I would say the same for UCL- all the hype surrounding it's new world ranking has suddenly made it the place to go. This is reflected in the fact that the year they came 4th in the world, many of their ABB courses shot up to AAA, even though nothing much else had changed.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated- Durham, Manchester

Underrated- Newcastle, York, Leicester

ReputationRep:
    I always thought Cass university AKA City is underrated not too many people have heard of it yet it has high entrance requirements and good courses, offers really promising masters programmes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    blatantly trying to cash in on the popularity of singer Dionne Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Hertfordshire is quite underrated for an ex-poly. City university and QMUL are both underrated imo.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: LSE
    Underrated: QUEEN MARY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie678)
    Why do people say Durham is overrated?
    I am applying there next year and want to know why?
    because people don't know the unis, but still want to say something. Don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    overrated: durham, sheffield, exeter, polytechnics
    underrated: york, manchester, newcastle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    blatantly trying to cash in on the popularity of singer Dionne Warwick
    I like that!

ReputationRep:
    Leicester is sometimes underrated. It's such a nice campus and halls and the city's not bad. DNA fingerprinting was invented there. It should be (and frequently is) well regarded for Medicine and Biosciences at the very least (has an iconic Engineering building too but doesn't seem to rate massively outstandingly in that subject compared to nearby Loughborough). Rates very highly for Mathematics too but I don't think that that rating gets taken seriously for some reason. Very good for American Studies. Phillip Larkin (who also had associations with the University of Hull) was a libarian at the university and David Attenborough was born at the university. Novel Lucky Jim is said to have been written about the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    KCL's Medical and health care related departments are amongst the best in the world.

If anything Bristol and Durham are over rated. But I think in recent Bristol's position on that high pedestal seems to be receeding.

I can't for the life of me figure why Durham is so highly regarded.
    Couldn't agree more, Bristol is VERY over rated. They, as an academic unit, are very rude. They havn't got much to offer except their 'high status', but to be honest with the way they have treated many applicants this year I think as you say, they may be about to slip off of their pedestal.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.