Most overrated and underrated universities in Britain? Watch

This discussion is closed.
thisismycatch22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gunmetalpanda)
How the hell is Warwick overrated you idiots. Just because it's not 100 years old and has no pre historic builidings doesn't make it overrated. I'd say Warwick is underrated because of pre-conceived notions by ignorant dolts despite being one of the best unis in UK for Maths and Econ and a few others.

No, I am not biased, I have no connections with the University of Warwick, I'm just telling the truth.
it's overrated because it's promoted to the rooftops by the typical tsr people who are wannabe investment bankers like you doing economics who only look at the stats for those courses, and these people ignore the fact that not only is it not significantly better for the majority of subjects than the other "good" research unis like durham bristol kcl nottingham manchester york etc but it doesn't offer as many courses as many of the more established universities will.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...k-universities
warwick and manchester... very similar research ratings, but warwick only offers 28 subjects while manchester maintains that quality over 53. where are the people saying manchester is the new oxbridge?
yes, it is very good for certain specific things. no that doesn't mean it's as good as oxbridge for everything. when i applied warwick was my insurance because they gave very low offers, as their course simply wasn't competitive compared to other top 20 universities with better departments and better research in the area. (as well as a better living environment)
Pedrobear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
8 pages.

This thread is utterly hilarious.
stargirl63
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Underrated is Surrey University. That university has so many good courses, and a lot research facilities etc and yet is still not considered as a very good university, such as Southampton, Birmingham, Manchester etc.
J_90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Teveth)
Well, it consistently comes in the top 10 for Europe in international rankings. Bizarrely, it's world ranking is often higher than its UK ranking, in some league tables.
I see, I see, I thought it was a very good uni, but people disagree.
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How the hell is Warwick overrated you idiots. Just because it's not 100 years old and has no pre historic builidings doesn't make it overrated. I'd say Warwick is underrated because of pre-conceived notions by ignorant dolts despite being one of the best unis in UK for Maths and Econ and a few others.

No, I am not biased, I have no connections with the University of Warwick, I'm just telling the truth.
It is true that it looks like a motorway service station and travel lodge though? Stephen Fry wouldn't have put up with that - people, perhaps sometimes wrongly and sometimes rightly, make associations with where more great people might end up going.
Last edited by Picnic1; 7 years ago
gunmetalpanda
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thisismycatch22)
it's overrated because it's promoted to the rooftops by the typical tsr people who are wannabe investment bankers like you doing economics who only look at the stats for those courses, and these people ignore the fact that not only is it not significantly better for the majority of subjects than the other "good" research unis like durham bristol kcl nottingham manchester york etc but it doesn't offer as many courses as many of the more established universities will.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...k-universities
warwick and manchester... very similar research ratings, but warwick only offers 28 subjects while manchester maintains that quality over 53. where are the people saying manchester is the new oxbridge?
yes, it is very good for certain specific things. no that doesn't mean it's as good as oxbridge for everything. when i applied warwick was my insurance because they gave very low offers, as their course simply wasn't competitive compared to other top 20 universities with better departments and better research in the area. (as well as a better living environment)
I would choose warwick over oxford any day for my subject. And who are you to talk about what's as good as oxbridge? Have you got any idea what the courses at the oxford and warwick and manchester entail?
gunmetalpanda
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Picnic1)
It is true that it looks like a motorway service station and travel lodge though?
Probably no idea. Looked good in the prospectus tbh.
thisismycatch22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would choose warwick over oxford any day for my subject. And who are you to talk about what's as good as oxbridge? Have you got any idea what the courses at the oxford and warwick and manchester entail?
well, i was rejected from oxford, and warwick gave me an offer low enough for me to put it as insurance and reject it myself in favour of another uni that was better, so you tell me which was more selective for my subject. (hint if you have trouble: not warwick). let me guess; you are going to/have done maths or economics? not every subject is as well regarded there.

who am i? why does it matter? i have as much right to express an opinion as the people saying warwick's amazing and better than anywhere else. unless they are some kind of eternal student with degrees from all those places, they're basing their opinion on exactly the same things i am. i'm not saying it's bad, it's clearly very good. but it's not head and shoulders over the others i mentioned, like some people claim, hence it's overrated. deal with it

and as i and others have said, coventry's a ****ing awful place to spend the best years of your life
Last edited by thisismycatch22; 7 years ago
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How has im so academic not found this yet...? :eek3:
gunmetalpanda
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well, i was rejected from oxford, and warwick gave me an offer low enough for me to put it as insurance and reject it myself in favour of another uni that was better, so you tell me which was more selective for my subject. (hint if you have trouble: not warwick).

who am i? why does it matter? i have as much right to express an opinion as the people saying warwick's amazing and better than anywhere else. unless they are some kind of eternal student with degrees from all those places, they're basing their opinion on exactly the same things i am. i'm not saying it's bad, it's clearly very good. but it's not head and shoulders over the others i mentioned, like some people claim, hence it's overrated. deal with it

and as i and others have said, coventry's a ****ing awful place to spend the best years of your life
No i will not deal with your ignorant opinions. You are stupid if you think competitiveness in getting admission equates to good education. Oxford is 1000 years old it has a distinguished reputation to commoners such as yourself for that very reason alone whereas warwick is newer, of course more people will apply hence making it more competitive.
emiliee21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S129439)
My step-dad used to police it, back when it was the most violent city in Europe.

Made me LOL!
Lmao thats actually very funny! Poor man having to work here...
I live in a village which is half counted as Cov and half not, but we're mostly old people so we are very safe. Only problem is that the area is 80% BNP which is very awkward hahaa
spocckka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chucklefiend)
Overrated: Durham, Warwick
Underrated: Royal Holloway, Leicester

Edit: :teehee: Looks like I upset a few Oxbridge rejects.
You did indeed
thisismycatch22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No i will not deal with your ignorant opinions. You are stupid if you think competitiveness in getting admission equates to good education. Oxford is 1000 years old it has a distinguished reputation to commoners such as yourself for that very reason alone whereas warwick is newer, of course more people will apply hence making it more competitive.
cry more about it. you're an idiot if you think warwick is better than oxford for every single course, since you have no idea what my degree is in, lol. and the fact you didn't answer my bet means i'm pretty certain you're basing all this on warwick's rep in one or two departments. that's great. we can send all the IB wannabe scum to one place and leave the rest of the country for decent people!
gunmetalpanda
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
cry more about it. you're an idiot if you think warwick is better than oxford for every single course, since you have no idea what my degree is in, lol. and the fact you didn't answer my bet means i'm pretty certain you're basing all this on warwick's rep in one or two departments. that's great. we can send all the IB wannabe scum to one place and leave the rest of the country for decent people!
shut the up you illiterate, i bet you protest in the street about how bankers are taking all your money. And i don't get why you'd think i want to get in ib :confused:. You need to get laid imo.
The Patriot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emiliee21)
Lmao thats actually very funny! Poor man having to work here...
I live in a village which is half counted as Cov and half not, but we're mostly old people so we are very safe. Only problem is that the area is 80% BNP which is very awkward hahaa
dang! lol. 80%? f me thats high haha. never heard of it above 40% before...
Locke54
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Underrated - QMUL (and not just because I go there, look at it's research stats and the rankings of it's humanities and soc sci courses)

Overrated - Exeter. It's nothing fancy and a decade and a half ago wasn't particularly considered amazing. It's only since all the rahs have discovered it as a nice alternative when they fail their Oxbridge applications that it's gained a massive increase in reputation. Don't get me wrong it's still a very good university (I'm considering applying for their MA program), just not the first rank university some make it out to be.
Scrubby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most overrated is definitely London Met :lol:
dearyme
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
How has im so academic not found this yet...? :eek3:
She showed up briefly but hasn't been wielding the mighty Oxbridge or death by savage dogs sword as of yet. I wait with bated breath. S'gonna be be goood. sh*ts gonna go down.:cookie:
Last edited by dearyme; 7 years ago
emiliee21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S129439)
dang! lol. 80%? f me thats high haha. never heard of it above 40% before...
Yeah well everyone who lives in tis area are retired factory workers from like jag and Roles Royce which have moved overseas and stuff so they are all traditionalists, a few are people who cant get promotions at work so they need someone to blame and the few left are non racists. Its not something you notice until you go down the local pub and here what people are saying :/
The Patriot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emiliee21)
Yeah well everyone who lives in tis area are retired factory workers from like jag and Roles Royce which have moved overseas and stuff so they are all traditionalists, a few are people who cant get promotions at work so they need someone to blame and the few left are non racists. Its not something you notice until you go down the local pub and here what people are saying :/
I can (kind of) see why they would feel that way. but it's still wrong lol!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (230)
92%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (20)
8%

Watched Threads