Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the title suggests I'm finding it hard to choose between King's College London or Queen Mary. They are both in London, however King's is in Waterloo (well, my course) and Queen Mary is in Miles End which I find seem a little 'rough'. As well as that, KCL does a BA whereas Queen Mary does a BSc.

Which one shall I choose, in terms of reputation, area and the course?

ReputationRep:
    In terms of reputation, KCL is more prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah seems a pretty straightforward choice for KCL (which is sometimes grouped with UCL, LSE, and Imperial to form part of the 'golden triangle'), both in terms of reputation and area. The course is more personal and that's up to you i guess..

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if you're still making your mind up, but I thought I'd pitch in. I graduated from Queen Mary last summer. I didn't take Linguistics, but I had friends who did, and I sat in on some of their lectures.

1. Reputation

KCL is the winner here (I am of course obliged to say that QM is the better institution, but if you're interested in the weight of a name on your CV, KCL wins).

2. Area

I worried about Mile End before I went to uni, but I rather liked it and its surrounding areas. For context, I'm a soft-spoken, mild-mannered person from the South coast of England, and I was privately educated, so if anyone was going to feel out of place it would be me. East London is scruffier, of course, but I never personally experienced any violence or theft and was able to move out to pleasant (and comparatively cheap) accomodation for my second and third years. Living there was eye-opening, and very educational.

3. Course

QM's Linguistics Department isn't big (unlike their English Department, which is massive), and I got the impression anecdotally from my friends that sometimes they didn't get as much individual attention from the academics as they'd have liked. Still, some of the teaching seemed to me to be quite good: for example, I sat in on a third-year course on pidgins and creoles which looked very interesting and challenging, and was taught by a visiting expert on the subject (and I think really knowledgeable creolists are pretty rare).

I suspect the difference in emphasis between KCL's BA and QM's BSc is probably noticeable. I know a friend who was really more interested in the softer, less scientific aspects of the subject said they felt the course was sometimes a bit too scientific for their taste.

Anyway, that's more or less what I can say from studying at QM and having some peripheral experience of the Linguistics Department. I hope this is helpful!

ReputationRep:
    KCL, although Queen Mary would not put you at a disadvantage either.

We all know that they are both in London so you should think about other factors such as social life, course content e.t.c before making a solid decision

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year studying English Language and Linguistics at Queen Mary. I, like you, was choosing between Queen Mary's and King's (English Language and Communication?).

I had gone to the King's open day and I didn't like the look of the course there at all.

I'm so glad I chose Queen Mary. The course is really good (ranked 3rd in the country for Linguistics, behind Oxford and Cambridge in the Times Ranking this year if that counts for anything), well structured, with good, helpful lecturers. There's a good balance of theoretical and applied areas of Linguistics. The first year is designed to cover all areas to give you a good solid grounding for whatever you pursue in your future years. If you are more course-orientated in your decision, I couldn't recommend QM more.

The uni itself is good too. Living on campus in the first year is the most convenient thing ever. Mile End is realllly not as bad as its rep. I had heard all these stories of it being rough too. The area is more run down than some of the locations of the King's College buildings, but the area that you would be in as a student is really not that bad. The uni is on a main road, and it is full of uni students throughout the day. Obviously, at night, it's best to stick with other people, but the same applies with anywhere else at that time.

About the whole prestige thing regarding King's being more impressive university: King's definitely sounds like the better uni, it's more famous - but isn't necessarily better. Queen Mary's is also very reputable and part of the University of London, which in itself carries prestige. I think it depends what you want out of your degree. If you just want a degree from the more famous, prestigious uni to put down on your CV, then King's is the one for that. But in terms of going for the one with the most reputable course, then I would think it's Queen Mary. That said, I personally think the course name 'English Language and Linguistics' sounds more credible than 'English Language and Communication' anyway, but that's just my view on the prestige. You might find that an important aspect when future employers are looking at what you did at university.

One more thing: the course I'm doing is a BA, and I checked on the Queen Mary's site and I don't think there is a BSc one available, so you might need to check that.

Hope you find the useful. Good luck with your decision, and let me know if you want any more info about the course or the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like my anecdotal evidence about the course at QM wasn't the whole picture -- give redsock's post more weight, as I didn't take the course myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redsockspugie)
    I'm in my first year studying English Language and Linguistics at Queen Mary. I, like you, was choosing between Queen Mary's and King's (English Language and Communication?).

I had gone to the King's open day and I didn't like the look of the course there at all.

I'm so glad I chose Queen Mary. The course is really good (ranked 3rd in the country for Linguistics, behind Oxford and Cambridge in the Times Ranking this year if that counts for anything), well structured, with good, helpful lecturers. There's a good balance of theoretical and applied areas of Linguistics. The first year is designed to cover all areas to give you a good solid grounding for whatever you pursue in your future years. If you are more course-orientated in your decision, I couldn't recommend QM more.

The uni itself is good too. Living on campus in the first year is the most convenient thing ever. Mile End is realllly not as bad as its rep. I had heard all these stories of it
    being rough too. The area is more run down than some of the locations of the King's College buildings, but the area that you would be in as a student is really not that bad. The uni is on a main road, and it is full of uni students throughout the day. Obviously, at night, it's best to stick with other people, but the same applies with anywhere else at that time.

About the whole prestige thing regarding King's being more impressive university: King's definitely sounds like the better uni, it's more famous - but isn't necessarily better. Queen Mary's is also very reputable and part of the University of London, which in itself carries prestige. I think it depends what you want out of your degree. If you just want a degree from the more famous, prestigious uni to put down on your CV,

then King's is the one for that. But in terms of going for the one with the most reputable course, then I would think it's Queen Mary. That said, I personally think the course name 'English Language and Linguistics' sounds more credible than 'English Language and Communication' anyway, but that's just my view on the prestige. You might find that an important aspect when future employers are looking at what you did at university.

One more thing: the course I'm doing is a BA, and I checked on the Queen Mary's site and I don't think there is a BSc one available, so you might need to check that.

Hope you find the useful. Good luck with your decision, and let me know if you want any more info about the course or the uni.
    I've firmed English language and linguistics at QMUL, you've made it sound so interesting! I was wondering, come results day, did you achieve the exact offer or do you anyone who was given a place without achieving the desired 320 points?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.