Turn on thread page Beta

Any bedroom decorating tips? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm re-doing my bedroom but I don't have that much cash (typical ). I've also got that crappy plywood furniture à la Ikea...

Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Thanks

Also, what's your bedroom like? What would your "dream" bedroom be like? I need some inspiration here!

ReputationRep:
    Purchase the book 'A Girl's Guide to Decorating'.

Loads of ideas in there.

ReputationRep:
    Mirrored ceiling, round bed and for the wow factor - velvet walls.

ReputationRep:
    a wall with photos or tokens of memories or really nice quotations to give confidence or reassurance when you'll need it. I personally have pictures of family and friends and a nice spa resort place that I realllly want to go to-trying to hint to my parents lol

ReputationRep:
    A feature wall (different coloured paint), new curtains = a whole new room!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! That book looks really good, I'm going to get it out the library

ReputationRep:
    Lots of little personal things make a room feel more homely. I always get compliments on my room I have lots of strange little things in there.

Anyway, posters, cushions, quirky lamps and little ornaments. When it comes to ornaments I wouldn't go ikea, I'd go online, to independent shops, car boot sales or just 'borrow' things from your relatives. I 'borrowed' a small flowery urn from my gran's house and keep necklaces in there. I also have a lot of things from holidays... a wooden tulip from the Netherlands, a glass guitar from the Isle of Wight, a glass skull from Scotland, a leprechaun doll from Ireland and a small gargoyle from Devon.

ReputationRep:
    You could stain the wood of your furniture if you want a cheap way to give your room a new look? I recommend new rug/curtains/lamp/bedspread too. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    You could stain the wood of your furniture if you want a cheap way to give your room a new look? I recommend new rug/curtains/lamp/bedspread too. xx
    Ooh that sounds good! I don't know if I can stain my furniture though. It's chipboard so isn't real wood Maybe I could paint it? Thanks everyone xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaRB)
    Ooh that sounds good! I don't know if I can stain my furniture though. It's chipboard so isn't real wood Maybe I could paint it? Thanks everyone xxxx
    Painting is a great idea - I did this with my furniture a few years back! If you do a bit of reading around on the subject you'll be fine, just make sure you prime it first xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Painting is a great idea - I did this with my furniture a few years back! If you do a bit of reading around on the subject you'll be fine, just make sure you prime it first xx
    Great! I'll paint it then Here's a pic of my furniture:

What colour would be best? I need to get new doors handles and drawer pulls, too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaRB)
    Great! I'll paint it then Here's a pic of my furniture:

What colour would be best? I need to get new doors handles and drawer pulls, too...
    They're silver, aren't they? I'd keep them, and paint the front of the drawers and doors very white, then the darker wood bits in a blue or purple.

Uhhhm, if you have a big blank bit of wall, get some picture frames and stick them up (with photos inside, obviously). I have some above the wall by my bed, and it's nice to lie there looking at them.

You can get some wicked statement wallpaper - I covered one wall with that (it's black with silver trees on it) and then painted the rest of the walls white, with a black skirting board and picture rail, and it looks AWESOME.

If you want to paint the walls all one colour, think about how light your room is. If it gets lots of sunshine, you can go for anything. If it's normally quite dark, it'd be better to go for light colours, plus it'll make it seem much more spacious.

ReputationRep:
    My tip would be to start collecting things over time, rather than expect to re-decorate over a weekend.

I started collecting wallpaper, rugs, paintings, picture frames over the years and it's all come together perfectly now that my room is 'finished'. It'd become a sort of project and I had fun picking out individual items knowing how good they'd all look together.

My room is a bit shabby chic, boutique hotel-esque. Massive black button back headboard on the wall, black picture frames on white walls, red carpet etc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.