Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was told by my teacher that although my target grade for english is an A i would never achieve that, this really put my confidence down and i was wandering if anyone knows and good ways of revising for both language and lit?

ReputationRep:
    practise past papers and know the poetry inside out

ReputationRep:
    Thanks there are so many poems though, any good ideas for remembering them?

ReputationRep:
    It's, 'wondering', not 'wandering'.

That's probably why your teacher's not expecting you to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    We got given these SMILERS for poems
    Subject, message, image (?), emotins, rhyme and rhythm(?), and style and structure
    Sorry i can't remember if this is it, ( i did it last year)
    I would send you all my poetry smilers but I deleted them!

ReputationRep:
    Same difference. But thanks for the confidence boost.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks, i'll see if i can find something on the internet i'm sure someone posted about them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candy_floss94)
    You have to know what the poems are about, but you don't necessarily have to remember them. Just make sure you can make some original observations/ points on each poem in the anthology and can identify themes in a poem and compare poems of similar themes in terms of structure, language.......etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candy_floss94)
    I put each poem to a song I knew, then created a list of all the things I needed to know for each. Then I went over this list whilst listening to the song so that when I was out and about listening to my iPod and that song came on I could remember all the parts of the poem
    Irritatingly I can still do it a year after my exam...

For the media section I analysed briefly in my head every advert on TV/Billboards I came across really fast, which helped me do it really fast in the exam.

For the novel I made lists of each character/theme's role in the novel and made big mindmaps of it all.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thats not very nice of your teacher, I'm sure you can get an A if you really work for it.
    I find CGP text guides helpful, also do past papers and get your teacher to mark them.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks i might have to try that, seems like a very annoying but good way to remember things

ReputationRep:
    No its not but oh well only two more months of him! And thank you i will try different things and see what helps the most

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I'm in the exact same boat as you in all my subjects really, sometimes I actually have to ask specially to be sitting higher instead of foundation... But I always get through it and prove them wrong! This teacher doesn't know you, only YOU know whether your capable! Put the work in and you can achieve it no problem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.