Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I was simply wondering if someone could help me with the logistics behind applying to university whilst doing fast track A levels.
    I wish to study PPE, and i am currently studying History, Maths and Economics as fast track's with oxford learning.
    I have just started the courses and i am looking to apply this september (2011) for admission for next academic year (2012). If anyone knows if i can do this as i will not have As grades to display until january (2012), then could you let me know.
    Also I was also wondering where to actually apply, would I be able to contend for a place at the top universities, and would they see my bid as competitive as i have no As grades to show.

I know there is allot there, however, it would be much appreciated if anyone can contribute with some valuable advice.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to TSR!

ReputationRep:
    thanks, any advice?

ReputationRep:
    You can of course apply to study without your AS grades for next year, you just need to have it explained in your PS/reference - but obviously you will need to have someone to give you predicted grades :yes: But the people in the applications and UCAS forum will have a better idea than me On to where to go to study PPE...no idea, try looking around the university courses forums.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james4444)
    Hello there,

I was simply wondering if someone could help me with the logistics behind applying to university whilst doing fast track A levels.
    I wish to study PPE, and i am currently studying History, Maths and Economics as fast track's with oxford learning.
    I have just started the courses and i am looking to apply this september (2011) for admission for next academic year (2012). If anyone knows if i can do this as i will not have As grades to display until january (2012), then could you let me know.
    Also I was also wondering where to actually apply, would I be able to contend for a place at the top universities, and would they see my bid as competitive as i have no As grades to show.

I know there is allot there, however, it would be much appreciated if anyone can contribute with some valuable advice.
    Loads of people don't write their AS level grades on their UCAS application so don't worry about that :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Hey there, I'm an international from Malaysia and did an 11 month course beginning January 2010 and applied for 2011 entry (medicine) Don't worry, all you need are your predicted grades, your AS grades don't matter (as long as you meet the min. requirements).

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

You'd be in the same position as applicants offering IB, as they don't have an intermediate stage either. Your referee will need to be someone who is teaching you now and can provide predicted grades. Your GCSE grades will be especially important in this case so you will need to target your application accordingly. Depending on what they are, this could mean that the top universities would be very high risk options for you. You can of course reapply post A levels if need be.

I'm moving this in to the courses forum as there will be more information there to help you.

ReputationRep:
    thanks allot, my GCSE grades are not very representative of the level that i am currently working at. my predicted grades are A history, A maths, and A economics. therefore applying according to my GCSE grades will not gain me entry to a decent institution.

thanks for commenting

ReputationRep:
    thanks allot, my GCSE grades are not very representative of the level that i am currently working at. my predicted grades are A history, A maths, and A economics. therefore applying according to my GCSE grades will not gain me entry to a decent institution.

thanks for commenting
    In that case you need to check very carefully, uni by uni, which ones pay attention to GCSEs. LSE certainly does. If there are good reasons why your GCSE results are not as good as your predicted A level results (eg you were seriously ill) unis will sometimes take this into account - but not always. If this applies, it is essential to make sure your reference includes the information; it is not enough just to put it into your PS, which is particularly important for many PPE courses, by the way.

How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections is worth a read

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

As of September this year UCAS has new rules making it compulsory to declare AS grades or they will go uncredited. But as you're a special circumstance, I would talk to your college/school and email admissions. Information is only reliable straight from the horse's mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    As of September this year UCAS has new rules making it compulsory to declare AS grades or they will go uncredited. But as you're a special circumstance, I would talk to your college/school and email admissions. Information is only reliable straight from the horse's mouth.
    Source please?

It has been compulsory to declare AS grades - assuming the required modules have been completed and cashed in (or certificated) - for some years now, so I'm not clear what 'change' this really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Source please?

It has been compulsory to declare AS grades - assuming the required modules have been completed and cashed in (or certificated) - for some years now, so I'm not clear what 'change' this really is.
    Not all schools cash in and declare... I think that implies that it WASN'T compulsory

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/news/november/uncashedas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Not all schools cash in and declare... I think that implies that it WASN'T compulsory

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/news/november/uncashedas
    Thanks for the link.

You're right - it wasn't compulsory for schools/colleges to cash in AS grades after one year, and this change means that effectively it will be in nearly all cases, otherwise their success stats/funding will be adversely affected. However, it has been compulsory for applicants to declare cashed in AS grades for as long as I've been a mod on here - and longer

What this change will mean is that schools/colleges will no longer be able to 'game' the system by not certificating AS levels until the end of Year 13. It was a minority of schools that did this, but it meant that their students whose AS results were not wonderful and/or who decided to resit modules could avoid declaring this information in their applications, to the possible disadvantage of other applicants who were required to declare it because their schools did certificate/cash in at the end of Year 12.

It occurs to me, however, that some schools/colleges may get round this new rule by simply not entering students for AS levels at all - you don't have to, AFAIK. At least in theory, you can just work your way through the modules with the goal of achieving the full A level - which of course would have a standard teaching time of two years. Within that time you would be able to resit individual modules if you wished and the unis would be none the wiser.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.