The Student Room Group

I can't be the only one who finds this really annoying and rude

Scroll to see replies

this reminds me of that lady in Miranda on her phone

"Bare with...bare with.....bare with.."
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Everyone does it or has done it at some point. It's not jealousy at all.

Sometimes it's because they are nervous so use their mobile phone as a form of escape from the awkwardness. Sometimes it's because they want to subtly tell people they have friends who want to speak to them.

You're a fool to think it's just jealousy.

Whey a good post by you. Congratulations.
I'm guilty of this when around people who show no signs of wanting to speak and are just whispering rampantly between themselves. But, this is usually at times when I'm somewhere I may not particularly want to be or am pretty bored.
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
if you do that and take a photo and put it online, I will love you forever!

This may be a possible situation, although i should probably wait unit the last day of college just incase she will ever see me again.....

oh wait....she's going to the same university as me!!:unimpressed:

Such fun
Yeah, I agree. It's as if they find you so boring they need something to supplement their time with you.
Reply 45
Original post by abc101
One of my friends is permanently on her Blackberry.

Yes! It's always the blackberry people. Or the IPhone. Okay, yes, your phone is fairly neat. Doesn't mean you should text me from it when I'm face-to-freaking-face with you :angry: Gah.

Ahem, yeah, this annoys me too OP.
Reply 46
Original post by Etoiliege
Yes! It's always the blackberry people.

Exactly
Ha. Know exactly what you mean. A few of my friends do..and I guess you just kind of get used to the ones that do…or you don’t think about it again. I’m the opposite..if I’m out and enjoying myself, I don’t look at my phone again, I just put It away, or don’t read the messages until I’m on my own or bored (unless I know I’m expecting something important, or if I need to get back to someone..)

The worst bit with some friends and especially my sister..is when you’re having a deep conversation and they get a message, reply back and then later on look at you confused about what we were talking about :/..and then you have to repeat the last few sentences again.

But then I suppose you know who always has their phone on them and who you’ll get an instant message back from. If I don’t reply back..i get to use the excuse the you know I don’t know where my phone is most of the time, or I don’t always have it with me :/

Plus we’ve all done it at some point :p:
Reply 48
My boyfriend does this and doesn't understand for second why it annoys me, fine when at home as we live together but we're out for dinner- put the f-ing thing away.
Reply 49
Yes. I just get my phone out and play on tetris. It's become an addiction :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by Crash and Burn
When you are out with friends and they CONSTANTLY have their mobiles out. Generally I won't be texting other people whilst I am out with friends, sometimes if I am arranging something I will send one or two.

A lot of my 'friends' however will have their phones in their hands for ages, alright so they have a boyfriend or girlfriend big whoop do they constantly need to be texting them? If they get a call they just pick up and one friend in particular will stay on the phone for a while with me just sitting there, she will even make phone calls (and it isn't always about her BF).

I personally think it is quite sad that they can't just be in the moment without constant contact with other people (whether in a relationship or not). I have my phone with me at all times but if I am with someone I will try to be there, yet it seems like mobile phones now interfere with actual social interaction and people just think it is perfectly acceptable (and even expected.. as though not constantly texting means you have no friends)

Thoughts?

I have a friend whose phone is practically glued to her hand. When we are sitting together she will just be tapping away at it constantly, whether we're with our big group of friends or it's just me and her waiting for our teacher to arrive. I think it's really rude cos it's sending out the message: i have better people to talk to than you. which whilst on occasions may be a little true, is still incredibly rude.
Glad there are others who find this irritating too:smile:
I agree with what you're saying, when people have their phones out ALL the time it is rude. Buttt I have to admit sometimes when I go out I hold my phone because it's an insecurity thing. I'm not the most outgoing/confident person so sometimes holding my phone just means I can make it look like I'm doing something if other people are in conversation and I'm not!
Reply 52
If i get a text, i'll wait until conversation dies down before i text back. I do also find it quite weird that people will have their phones out for ages but i'm not that fussed really :smile:
Reply 53
It's kinda gives the impression that they don't want to be with you as much as they would rather be with other people. If they do it a lot then they're isolating themselves from their company, which is frustrating.
(edited 13 years ago)
Got put into randomly allocated groups in my Psychology class the other day and literally everyone else in my group was on their phone instead of talking to each other before we started our task. Have people become that unsociable?
Yeahhh!! I totally understand how annoying that is. One of my friends seems to be glued to her phone all the time!!!!and I especially hate it when they talk about their text/facebook conversations all the time, it makes face to face conversations lose their importance and special-ness.

I love my friends to pieces...but I do wish they'd put their phones away sometimes :smile:
Reply 56
I find it particularly prevalent when hanging out with Blackberry users, who seem unable to tear themselves from BBM. It really annoys me, and most of the time I'm perfectly happy to let the offenders know they're being rude and I'm pissed off at them.
I am so glad I am not the only person who thinks this. I think it is just the height of rudeness. When we go out for a meal they all put their phones on the table and check them every two seconds. It's clear to see they don't give a stuff what I say, and infact I don't even understand why they bother coming out with me, they would clearly rather be with the person they are texting. And when we get together at a friends' house, some of my friends will only contribute to conversations whilst awaiting a text, then forget we exist the minute they get a text from their boyfriends.

A couple of my friends at parties walk about carrying their phone and text, or I see them occasionally sitting texting instead of joining in the general banter. Why get all dressesd up just to sit and text your boyfriend all night? why not just spend the night with them?

Also, I see people constantly texting in class. I wonder how they can concentrate when they are too busy texting to listen to the teacher, or concentrating on making sure the teacher isn't looking. And then they are too busy thinking about what they are texting to concentrate on the subject. THEN they get upset when they fail. Maybe they wouldn't fail if they concentrated a bit more instead of spending every waking minute texting. I dread to think how disrupted their homework/ studying must be with their phone constantly going off!!!

Technology is actually the bane of my life, and I am starting to feel like my frienships are affected by it.
/RANT
Yes!!! I find it really rude!
When they're with other people they spend the whole time texting you, and when they're with you, they spend the whole time texting everyone else.
hate it wen people do that
its so annoying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending