Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who can apply for Graduate programmes? Graduates you may say, yes, but for how long? Do you get one shot at it the year you graduate or can you take a gap year and try again? And again? And again?

Basically, at what point after finishing uni can you no longer apply for graduate jobs?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would like to add a question to that, do you have to be British to apply to them? Or have a British BA? I will hopefully be taking an MSt from Oxford next year, but my BA is from a non British uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mglafas)
    Who can apply for Graduate programmes? Graduates you may say, yes, but for how long? Do you get one shot at it the year you graduate or can you take a gap year and try again? And again? And again?

Basically, at what point after finishing uni can you no longer apply for graduate jobs?
    You can always apply. The jobs I have applied for tended to have a requirement like "less than 12 months' relevant post-graduate work experience". Though this is for civil engineering which is a profession with on-the-job training towards reaching professional qualification, so graduates at all companies will be doing similar things initially, meaning that an employer will notice that somebody who has gained experience elsewhere is very different to a fresh graduate. I'm not sure how it works with other graduate jobs.

The main difficulty I think is making sure you have done something worthwhile in those gap years... applying for jobs during the year following graduation is fine (especially as things have been rubbish with the recession) but if you've been out of work for longer you are going to get asked serious questions about what you've been doing in that time.

However, even though the employer's system might accept your application, it is possible that if faced with far too many applicants they might decide to use the number of years since graduating as a screening step.

(Original post by Xristina)
    I would like to add a question to that, do you have to be British to apply to them? Or have a British BA? I will hopefully be taking an MSt from Oxford next year, but my BA is from a non British uni
    I've never seen that as a requirement. It's possible that the employer might not have heard of your university (no matter how good it is in your home country) but the MSt from Oxford will set them right! They do tend to check early on that you are permitted to work in the UK though, which is a (completely separate) immigration issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)

I've never seen that as a requirement. It's possible that the employer might not have heard of your university (no matter how good it is in your home country) but the MSt from Oxford will set them right! They do tend to check early on that you are permitted to work in the UK though, which is a (completely separate) immigration issue.
    Thanks! Immigration won't be an issue since I am European.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    You can always apply. The jobs I have applied for tended to have a requirement like "less than 12 months' relevant post-graduate work experience". Though this is for civil engineering which is a profession with on-the-job training towards reaching professional qualification, so graduates at all companies will be doing similar things initially, meaning that an employer will notice that somebody who has gained experience elsewhere is very different to a fresh graduate. I'm not sure how it works with other graduate jobs.

The main difficulty I think is making sure you have done something worthwhile in those gap years... applying for jobs during the year following graduation is fine (especially as things have been rubbish with the recession) but if you've been out of work for longer you are going to get asked serious questions about what you've been doing in that time.

However, even though the employer's system might accept your application, it is possible that if faced with far too many applicants they might decide to use the number of years since graduating as a screening step.

Thanks for the great response! I ask mainly because I have to take a year out due to military service. Well, the service is only 4 months, but I'll have to fill up the remainder of the year with something worthwhile i guess...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.